It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
Let me see here, in the NFL you have a coaching position for every part of the team. You have the head coahc, the offensive coordinator, the defensive coordinator, the quarterbacks coach, the offensive line coach, the defensive line coach, the linebackser coach, special team coach. In soccer, you have the head coach and the general manager.

You are, of course, talking utter gibberish.

Lets look at NUFC.

Football Management
First Team Manager: Glenn Roeder*
Assistant Manager: Alan Shearer*
Reserve Team Manager: Tommy Craig
First Team Coach: Terry McDermott
Goalkeeper Coach: Adam Sadler
Academy Manager: TBC
Academy Coach: Kenny Wharton
Academy Coach: Peter Beardsley
Physiotherapist: Derek Wright
Assistant Physio: Paul Ferris
Fitness Coach: Paul Winsper
Chief Scout: David Mills

Source.

Head coach and general manager huh? :shk:

[edit on 5/2/06 by Implosion]

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
No one CARES how hard they can hit. In Football you need more than brute strength to open up the best teams.

Hehe... Ignorance is bliss... That's all football is right? Brute strength? Gimme a break... Go learn what you're talking about before disgracing this thread again.

*edit*
Damn I sound like an asshole... That must be the Jim Beam talkin' again.

[edit on 5-2-2006 by LostSailor]

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
As far as the coaching goes... The coaches in Soccer don't really do a damn thing after the game starts. The coaches in Football can make or break a game by their decision making on any play of the game?

Any of you nancyball fans watch the big game tonight by chance?

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
Any of you nancyball fans watch the big game tonight by chance?

There is no big game on tonight.

[edit on 5/2/06 by Implosion]

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   

As far as the coaching goes... The coaches in Soccer don't really do a damn thing after the game starts.

Hmm... every heard of a change in tactics?! Watch a football game and you'll see the manager etc, shouting at the captain of their team and other players to change the tactics. They change formation during a match sometimes, they're ordered to play defensively or offensively, play the off-side trap, etc. (There's more to it than that but I'm too damn tired to think)

Maybe you should practise what you preach and, 'Go learn what you're talking about before disgracing this thread again.'

[edit on 5-2-2006 by xeroxed88]

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I'm going to pove to you that the rest of the world plays football and not american football.

For a start find out some facts.
How is the thing called soccer in your view called in england, france, east europe, africa, egipt and the rest of the world.

American football is invented after originall football, some guy came long ago there and showed you how it's played but you decided to use your hands and altered the game.

here is your american football.
inventors.about.com...

external source
In 1823, Ellis was the first person noted for picking up the ball during the soccer game and running with it, thereby breaking and changing the rules. In 1876, at the Massosoit convention, the the first attempts at writing down the rules of American football were made. Walter Camp edited every American Football rulebook until

Get over it what you call soccer is called football by the rest of the world.

here is anotehr link so you can understand better
home.comcast.net...

external source
History of the game in USA

American folklore asserts that Pilgrim Fathers, upon settling at Plymouth Rock found American Indians along the Massachusetts coast playing a form of soccer. The Indians called it "Pasuckquakkohwog," which means "they gather to play football."

Many American colleges played soccer, but there was no intercollegiate competition.

Rules were casual and changed often.

Football has been played for hundred of years and it can be found has historical fact that it has started random all over the world, officialy it's made by england, but the sport dates way back, every one played it, and to day it is the king sport of the world.

American football now thats a diffrent thing, let's call it "american" football
and not plain football.

I jsut want uefa to start already chears all.

[edit on 5-2-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Hehe... Sounds familiar. We Americans are known for taking things, tweaking them... Improvising them and making them better. We are known for our "think outside the box" mentality. For instance, we took the boring game of soccer and made it football. A much more entertaining sport. You can keep the boring bouncy ball, don't trip me ppppppplease, 2 hour yawnfest called soccer. I'll keep watching the entertaining sport made popular by the innovators of the world. The Americans.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88

Hmm... every heard of a change in tactics?! Watch a football game and you'll see the manager etc, shouting at the captain of their team and other players to change the tactics. They change formation during a match sometimes, they're ordered to play defensively or offensively, play the off-side trap, etc. (There's more to it than that but I'm too damn tired to think)

Not even close to being similar to football. In soccer, yeah you can slightly change tactics, but in no way can the coach lose a friggin' game for you. In football the team could be playing their hearts out, but if the coach is calling messed up plays, the team is going to lose. Look at the Seattle Pittsburgh game last night.... The Super Bowl. Pittsburgh won... Can you tell me which teams head coach did a better job?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Hehe... Sounds familiar. We Americans are known for taking things, tweaking them... Improvising them and then pretending we invented it in the first place. We are known for our "think outside the box" mentality. For instance, we took the boring game of soccer and made it wankball. A much more entertaining sport. You can keep the boring bouncy ball, don't trip me ppppppplease, 2 hour yawnfest called soccer. I'll keep watching the entertaining sport made popular by the innovators of the world. The Americans.

Does that "think outside the box" thing include the encouragement of drug use in your national game of wankball? A game that young Americans want to play, and as such, see this abuse as something thats normal and needed if they want to follow in their heroes footsteps? And not only in your national sport, what about all the wrestling stars that have found themselves in an early grave over the last 12 months, in part at least, due to all the steroids they've taken? You cant tell me theres no link. If thats "thinking outside the box", then im happy we keep our thinking well and trully in the box.

And how 'popular' is your sport? Played by one nation in its own country. Hows that popular? While all you yanks were getting your tights in a twist and rubbing your helmets at superbore XXXL(arge), the rest of the world are waiting to see the final of a true sporting tournament

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully
Does that "think outside the box" thing include the encouragement of drug use in your national game of wankball? A game that young Americans want to play, and as such, see this abuse as something thats normal and needed if they want to follow in their heroes footsteps?

Yeah... because every Football player uses 'roids... Just like no soccer players do. riiiiiiight!!!!! You are too funny.

And how 'popular' is your sport? Played by one nation in its own country.

Since when do we actually give a rats ass what the rest of the world thinks? You and the rest of your world can watch whatever you want... We'll stick to what we like. There is a reason why the rest of the world likes soccer... Scan back in this thread for some of my earlier posts. They are way way back there now and I don't have time to repeat myself.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Does that "think outside the box" thing include the encouragement of drug use in your national game of wankball? A game that young Americans want to play, and as such, see this abuse as something thats normal and needed if they want to follow in their heroes footsteps?

Yeah... because every Football player uses 'roids... Just like no soccer players do. riiiiiiight!!!!! You are too funny.

Look, Im not saying that no football player uses steroids, Im sure some do. The point is, the NFL must know it goes on, but what do they do about it? Not a damn lot by the looks of it. The fact its tolerated, more than anything else, proves that its not a true sport at all

And how 'popular' is your sport? Played by one nation in its own country.

Since when do we actually give a rats ass what the rest of the world thinks? You and the rest of your world can watch whatever you want... We'll stick to what we like. There is a reason why the rest of the world likes soccer... Scan back in this thread for some of my earlier posts. They are way way back there now and I don't have time to repeat myself.

Well yes, we all know the kind of contempt the US has for the rest of the world, but thats another thread. Funny how you don't give a rats about the rest of the world, but get all prissy and start crying when we show we don't give a rats about you lot. This whole thread started because of just that didn't it?
And I remember what you said, the kind of 'up your own ass' comments Id expect. Theres a name for people like you, and thats a snob. BTW, whats your opinion on why the rest of the world doesn't like NFL? Just curious

[edit on 6-2-2006 by ridcully]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Actually NFL Europe seems to be catching on, at least somewhat. No challenge for any of the soccer leagues obviously, but it has carved its own little niche.

I love both games, they are so different from each other, that there is little room for comparison.

die hard seahawks fan
, and an ardent Arsenal supporter. Go Gunners, though this season doesn't seem quite up to par (note the golfing reference-now there is a sport for television, not).

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Actually NFL Europe seems to be catching on...

(This is not a personal attack at you, Seagull)
NFL Europe?! NATIONAL football league europe?! That's a big contradiction... surely it should be IWL? (International Wankball League)

Since when has Europe been a Nation?

Edit: Typing error.

[edit on 6-2-2006 by xeroxed88]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
That does seem to be something of a misnomer doesn't it
. They should call it Little Itty Bitty Countries of Europe Football League (LIBCEFL).
Just kidding. It has developed something of a niche though has it not?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Well, I never even knew we had American Football here in Europe...

...learn something new everyday.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
what a silly thread!!

i'm not one for knocking any country's culture or sports but 'american football' is only 'big' in one country thats AMERICA!!

a non-american watching the sport will find it SOOOO boring!! - i watched that superbowl last year and ive never been bored in all my life.

tea breaks every 2 mins/gas & air, helmets/knee pads/shoulder pads/arm pads (thats not a sport) you could suvive a train hitting you with all that armour on

rugby - those players come out in shorts and t-shirt (and theres no tea breaks every 2 mins).

footballer (soccer) as you call it is the biggest sport in the world!! ive seen posts comparing beckham to this big ugly dude on here!!

football players are not built to be in a contact sport, its all about skill!! - no steriods, no 8 burgers from mcdonnalds (as your american footballers eat).

just my thoughts

[edit on 6-2-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I think silliness is the point. Get a bunch of people arguing about sports of any sort, and silliness can't help but occur. Beckham is to borrow a phrase a wanker, on that I can agree. Hmmmph.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   

The fact its tolerated, more than anything else, proves that its not a true sport at all

It's tolerated??? Hehe... Quit being so ignorant.

Well yes, we all know the kind of contempt the US has for the rest of the world, but thats another thread.

contempt heh? Nice try bud... I'll watch a bit of the World Cup when it starts. As long as there is nothing better on at the time. By better I mean I would rather watch synchronized swimming.

And I remember what you said, the kind of 'up your own ass' comments Id expect. Theres a name for people like you, and thats a snob. BTW, whats your opinion on why the rest of the world doesn't like NFL? Just curious

Hehe... I broke ya, finally. Resorting to petty name calling. So low. I am a lot of things, but not a snob. Arrogant, chauvinistic, shallow, and manipulative to name a few. Can I call you small minded? I knew if I played the role of arrogant American it would crack you... And sure enough you fell for it hook line and sinker.

If you really did read back to my earlier posts, you would know why I'm not going to answer your question on why the rest of the world doesn't get into football.

Bottom line is football is a thinking mans sport... Even though you seem to think its a bunch of dumb apes running into each other. It takes more tactics and brains to play football then it does to play soccer.

[edit on 6-2-2006 by LostSailor]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88

Originally posted by seagull
Actually NFL Europe seems to be catching on...

(This is not a personal attack at you, Seagull)
NFL Europe?! NATIONAL football league europe?! That's a big contradiction... surely it should be IWL? (International Wankball League)

Since when has Europe been a Nation?

Edit: Typing error.

[edit on 6-2-2006 by xeroxed88]

I contradict you
It might be but it's just like criket no one plays it

There is UEFA Europian Football Asocciation
Of course it relates to the round ball and not the hellmets.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Any doubters as to the supermacy of this year's Steelers team, take a look at what they had to do to win the Super Bowl. Just how many people on here said those Seahawks would win? Oh and uh by the way, party in Pittsburgh tonight and the parade tomorrow!

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join