It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
LostSailor said what I couldn't because I was at such a loss and had to change my underwear.

I'm kind of surprised that ridcully didn't include these conversions:

Running half a mile = 3 points
Tripping = 3 points
Goalie dying of boredom = 6 points

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor

Originally posted by ridcully

touchdown/goal = 6pts
field goal/shot on target = 3pts
safety/shot off target = 2pts
extra point/corner = 1pts

There is a problem here... I can understand a touchdown and a goal being 6 points. But, how the hell is a shot on goal as exciting as a friggin' fieldgoal? Also... You give 2 points for a missed shot, which happens all the damn time, and compare it to one of the rarest and most exciting scores in football. Then you give a corner kick... Which even I will admit is a pretty exciting aspect of soccer and compare it to the "free" extra point after a touchdown.

What you nancyball fans don't seem to understand, is it's not jsut the amount of points but the way the point structure is set up. I'll let you figure that one out.

I did say that it didn't stack up well, its comparing 2 widly different games after all. All I was trying to point out was that just because football is low scoring compared to handball, it doesn't mean it isn't exciting to watch. Personally I was absolutely gobsmacked at the amount of different ways you score the damn game! Of course I had to take the piss a little in how I did the comparison, considering you lot score just about everything that happens in the game. Im surprised you don't give points just for turning up with your tights and armour on the right way round!
Hows a shot on target exciting? Seeing the likes of Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard blast a shot in from 30 yards plus, only to be denied by the goalkeeper flying across goal to tip it over the bar IS exciting. And a hell of a lot harder for any player to perform than kicking a high ball between between two sticks. We can fully understand that in the rest of the world because of the game called Rugby which you lot ripped off

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Got a point there Doc! How about this then?

Running half a mile / running more than ten feet = 3 points
Tripping / falling over and grabbing your helmet = 3 points
Goalie dying of boredom / every tenth spectator falling asleep = 6 points

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   
One other thing you have to remember... Most of us making fun of soccer have played the game before. Can the same be said for you guys making fun of football?

I didn't think so.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Ive played a game that's very similar to Yankyball, me and some friends used to play it when we were about 10 years old. Half of us stood at one end and the half at the other, one half had to run past the other half (one half took the other half out... or tried to - American football style) It was quite fun, actually.

It's called, "bulldog." Dunno how that name came about and quite frankly, I don't really care. It was still a damn good game. Bloody hurt getting taken out against a brick wall though!

EDIT: Typo! (Im not the most sober of people!)

[edit on 2-2-2006 by xeroxed88]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88

It's called, "bulldog." Dunno how that name came about and quite frankly, I don't really care. It was still a damn good game. Bloody hurt getting taken out against a brick wall though!

You've just taken me back to my primary school days. Damn I feel like an old man.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   

One other thing you have to remember... Most of us making fun of soccer have played the game before. Can the same be said for you guys making fun of football?

I didn't think so.

I couldnt afford the 40k for equipment and the extra 10k for the steroids. But with football all you need is a ball and 2 feet.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janus

I couldnt afford the 40k for equipment and the extra 10k for the steroids. But with football all you need is a ball and 2 feet.

LMFAO!
Best come back I've heard in ages!

Originally posted by Implosion

You've just taken me back to my primary school days. Damn I feel like an old man.

lol. Yeah, man. It's been a damn long time since I played "bulldog". I, too, feel old.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I didn't think so.

Read my previous post old chap. The rest of the world enjoys and plays (Im sure most Brits on here got the snot kicked out of them playing it at school), the far superior, Rugby. No armour, generally only stops for any length of time, for 'blood substitutions', no passing the ball forward (how simple does that make pointyball?), no tights, no dancing girls, no commercials until half time. And apart from all that, what Janus said!

[edit on 2-2-2006 by ridcully]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   

no dancing girls

See this is what I don't get, you say that like having to watch the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders doing their routine is a bad thing.
What, would you rather watch some baby kangaroo get clubbed to death???

Also, steroids keep being brought up.........why? If everybody's doing 'em, what's the difference? How does it make our game less superior? Believe me, if any rugby or soccer players wanted to come over here and play real football, they'd be mainlining steroids so as not to get broken in half.

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Put those rugby players in armor and then see how much harder they hit each other. You keep saying this crap about how rugby players wear no armor. There is a catch to that!!! They don't hit each other nearly as hard.

And I'm sorry, but I enjoy watching half naked women dance around during halftime.... I may even watch soccer if you had all 12 of your good looking English women working as cheerleaders.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   

And I'm sorry, but I enjoy watching half naked women dance around during halftime.... I may even watch soccer if you had all 12 of your good looking English women working as cheerleaders.

Haha, low shot....well my other half isn't available for shows, I don't know about the other 11

And Rugby players don't need armor, they bulk up enough without steroids to do intensley crunching and bone hazardous tackles. There's no lack of force in it, thats for sure. And why did American Football introduce the "Passing forward" rule? Oh yeah, too dangerous otherwise....yet Rugby players seem to be able to handle it. Hmmmmmmm, must be made of sturner stuff to handle the pressure of only passing backwards :shk:

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   

All 12?! You must be blind, man. Most of our good looking women are over in the US helping your women get in shape and to help them lay off the McDonalds!

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

no dancing girls

See this is what I don't get, you say that like having to watch the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders doing their routine is a bad thing.
What, would you rather watch some baby kangaroo get clubbed to death???

Doc, its the fact you need dancing girls to keep folks interested, or get the spectators or team fired up or whatever, that makes them a bit of a joke. In football the fans make their own entertainment by singing songs that rip the piss out of the opposing fans, team, and referee. Or by singing songs and chants that get your own team fired up for the job

Also, steroids keep being brought up.........why? If everybody's doing 'em, what's the difference? How does it make our game less superior? Believe me, if any rugby or soccer players wanted to come over here and play real football, they'd be mainlining steroids so as not to get broken in half.

Peace

The difference is, if everyones doing them, how can you judge a players
real ability? Or an entire team. How can you tell that your team has won or lost fairly? Would you be happy the team you support lost the Superbowl simply because the opposition had better drugs in their system? And again, it shows how much of an elitist sport it is. You cant play at the highest level unless you either have, or can get given, performance enhancing drugs that are highly likely to affect your long term health. Thats bloody terrible, especially with all the armour to pay too. For me, one of the greatest things about football is the fact that a lack of money isn't a block to making it all the way to the top of the game. All you need is talent, hard work and little luck in getting spotted by a scout. Anywhere in the world that applies.
Cases of drug abuse (recreational or performance) in football over here are rare, because its jumped on and jumped on hard if anyones caught with them in their system. And rightly so, why should anyone have an unfair advantage over anyone else?

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
And why did American Football introduce the "Passing forward" rule? Oh yeah, too dangerous otherwise....yet Rugby players seem to be able to handle it.

Can you please explain to me what makes passing backwards more hazardous then a wide reciever in football getting blindsided while trying to catch a forward pass because he is looking back towards the line of scrimmage. Instead of.. say... Seeing the entire field, and hence all the players in front of him?

And yes... I've watched football and rugby. Football players hit twice as freakin' hard.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The only reason why yankyball players hit harder is cause they have armour on! If they didn't have any on, they wouldn't hit as hard as they do. Is is not kind of obvious?

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Ummmm... Yeah... That's what I said. Isn't it obvious?

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   

And yes... I've watched football and rugby. Football players hit twice as freakin' hard.

No one CARES how hard they can hit. In Football you need more than brute strength to open up the best teams. Sure you need to be strong, but you also have to be quick, and above all, you have to be CLEVER. More than a little guile is required to open up a top team like Chelsea. Most Football teams will only resort to attempting to overpower their adversary only when every other option has been exhausted. It makes for ugly Football, it is the last tactic that a team will employ in the quest for victory.

This is the difference, watching a Football player like Bergkamp play at his peak is akin to studying a Van Gogh. I don't care how hard he can hit, A gorilla can hit pretty hard but it doesnt mean he should be a sportsman. Unfortunately, in sports, like many other aspects of society, you Americans have forgotten how to use your heads.

[edit on 4/2/06 by Implosion]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I must confess that I'm a fan of football(go steelers) soccer and rugby but must admit that football is helleva lot more fun to watch than soccer and rugby by a longshot. It's more than just a game.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Let me see here, in the NFL you have a coaching position for every part of the team. You have the head coahc, the offensive coordinator, the defensive coordinator, the quarterbacks coach, the offensive line coach, the defensive line coach, the linebackser coach, special team coach. In soccer, you have the head coach and the general manager. I can name some players out there in the NFL ranks that don't need any steroids to be good.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join