It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Lemme 'Splain something to the Love Doctor, aka Dr. Love. Now I gonna make this short, sweet, and simple. A free kick in soccer is their equivalent to a penalty shot in hockey.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
Lemme 'Splain something to the Love Doctor, aka Dr. Love. Now I gonna make this short, sweet, and simple. A free kick in soccer is their equivalent to a penalty shot in hockey.

Wouldn't the equivalent of a penalty shot in hockey be a penalty kick?

A free kick is given when a player has been fouled anywhere on the pitch execpt for the penalty area of the team he is attacking. Inside that area, it is a penalty kick.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
double post sorry

[edit on 30-1-2006 by ridcully]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Another question I have is what does a soccer coach coach? Is it his job to make sure that they kick the ball in the right direction?
Does he yell out things like "You're going the wrong way dummy!"? Is it the coaches job to keep his goalkeeper entertained with hand puppets during the 30 minutes of downtime between each shot on goal?

What does a soccer coach do?

Peace

Note to Implosion: Just for the record the only soccer players I've ever heard of are: Pele, Beckham, Adu, and Maradona. Not only that, I thought they all played on the same team.

[edit on 26-1-2006 by Dr Love]

Well, what does a gridiron (look! no name calling!) coach do? tell his players: run - hit - fall - get breath back - take steroids - repeat for four hours? At least we dont need dancing girls and naff bands to keep people interested.

Ive just had a look at Adu's site. He does look decent doesn't he? Im afraid though, he'll have to mix it in one of the top european leagues before you can start making OTT claims like hes 'the best in the world'. Even he says hes not likely to make it to the world cup ahead of the guys already playing over here. In all honesty, I think Wayne Rooney at his age was, slightly, better, and playing in one of the best, and hardest, leagues in the world.Next world cup though, yes I think he'll do very well. Then get bought over here for a silly amount of money.
Actually ive just noticed this Yep, man utd, that'd be about right!

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Hmm...Adu at Man United you say? He's all right, but we've got a better American player in Rossi, we don't need no more.....I don't think Adu would be pushing Rooney or Saha for a place on recent form, especially with Rossi coming along so nicely.

So Chelsea it is then, or Arsenal...if they are still in the Premiership next season that is

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I heard Adu [what is he 17 going on 35?] couldn't even hold down a regular start in the american league, what does that tell you about how good he is?

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Well, Ive just had a look at a few clips of him. He is good believe me, but nothing you don't see here every week from the likes of gerrard, Lampard, Henry etc. And, none of them had that 'OMFG did you see that?' factor that happened when Rooney burst on the scene at Everton. remember that goal? How could anyone forget!! Like I say, get him in the EPL against real opposition, then we'll see

[edit on 30-1-2006 by ridcully]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   

The only reason that this guy wouldn't be put on the World Cup team is because other players would cry like little babies because they've been there longer and yada yada yada. My feeling is he'll make the team because they need to market soccer as best they can and this kid's the only way to do it. Besides that he's the best player in the world (America).
His age should have nothing to do with it.

Now for the big question, any of you guy's on the other side of the Atlantic care to give a prediction on the greatest sporting event the world's (America's) ever known?

Seattle or Pittsburgh? It wouldn't be fair to ask you guys for a prediction on the score because you're not used to games with more than three or four points scored in total.

Peace

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Dunno but id bet good odds on Janet Jackson bearing some flesh to wake the crowd up after 2 arse numbing hours of American Handball at half time

[edit on 30-1-2006 by Janus]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
There you go. 'They' have to market it. 'We' in the rest of the world (outside America, foreign concept to you I know), really don't care if you (over there somewhere) grow to love the game or not. Personally, Id guess most fans would rather you didn't get involved. We all remember what you did when you had the cup over there.
And he's not 'the best in the world'......get him in the EPL, Serie A, La Liga or any other European league, and he'd be seen as good, but certainly not the best

Who gives a $h** about your introverted, elitist and silly little game? And I've told you before, awarding mutilple points per score doesn't make for a better game! Go on, enlighten me, how is the scoring done in pointyball? Whats a touchdown worth? 5 points? 6? Tell me, and ill sit down and work out the score on any week you like in the EPL, using your scoring as a template, and ill wager theyre very close to the scores in the NFL. We just score the perfection of placing the ball in the net, not just running the ball over a line the width of the WHOLE pitch, or punting it through two, very wide sticks that are 10 feet above ground level

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
Janet Jackson

I'm not a hundred percent but right off the top of my head I think it's going to be the Rolling Stones during halftime this year. I'm sure a lot of people are looking forward to that but not me. Those dudes are so old, wrinkled, and crusty it's embarrassing. Thank God for good halftime shows on other channels.

How about Motley Crue during halftime one year? I want to see dude's lighting their guitars on fire and rocking "Kickstart My Heart"!!

Peace

[edit on 30-1-2006 by Dr Love]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Dunno but id bet good odds on Janet Jackson bearing some flesh to wake the crowd up after 2 arse numbing hours of American Handball at half time

bwahahaha! gods that was one of the funniest things Ive ever seen! Not seeing her flabby tit bouncing about, the aftermath from the po-faced religous and family values brigade. It was a TIT! Anyone would think she'd broke into everyone of their houses and pissed on their kids on xmas morning. Deary oh, America, land of the free.......until you pop one out on primetime!

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully

bwahahaha! gods that was one of the funniest things Ive ever seen! Not seeing her flabby tit bouncing about, the aftermath from the po-faced religous and family values brigade. It was a TIT! Anyone would think she'd broke into everyone of their houses and pissed on their kids on xmas morning. Deary oh, America, land of the free.......until you pop one out on primetime!

lmao. Cheers lads, and I thought that this thread was dying a death.

Here is a picture of Adu aged 14:

14? Pull the other one.

Here, this is from an article about the Americas team for the upcoming humiliation in Germany:

What of teenage star Freddy Adu? He was never a realistic candidate for a starting spot, but when Arena called him into camp, a place on the final roster of 23 players seemed a possibility. But Arena's rather offhand comments since then make this also rather unlikely: "Our expectations for Freddy are not great. It's just good to get him in here and give him a feel of what this is about with the national team."

Source

Awwwww, dear of him, I hope he packs his comfort blanket, he's gonna need it.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Remember, he is an american sportsman, theres plenty of steroids gone into that physique!

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Remember, he is an american sportsman, theres plenty of steroids gone into that physique!

Check it out:

Freddy Adu, born June 2, 1989, is frequently rumored to actually be older; these rumors suggest that his birth certificate was doctored to make him eligible for play in little league soccer, where he could stand out. Since he usually played in a higher age bracket, however, the only advantage he could have received was psychological. According to rumors, the false age was propagated into his professional career to keep up the media hype.

Source

Where there's smoke...

Oh and one more thing, he's about as American as Hidetoshi Nakata.

Adu’s ties to the U.S. go back half of his short life, even before his citizenship became official in 2003. He arrived as an eight year old when his mother Emilia won an immigration lottery to move from Ghana.

Source.

[edit on 30/1/06 by Implosion]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
It seems most people here talking about Freddy Adu, dont watch much US Soccer. Maybe they saw a Nike commercial with him and now assume he is the greatest player alive today. As far as US soccer these two guys are ones to watch.

Jonathan Spector

fifaworldcup.yahoo.com...

Eddie Johnson

fifaworldcup.yahoo.com...

I think they will develop into world class players.

As far as the best players playing today for me it has to be Ronaldhino and Shevchenko

Right now the US is ranked 7th in the world ( England is 8th )
Too bad nobody cares...

Im picking Mexico as a dark horse to go very deep in the World Cup and go SEAHAWKS!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Right then, out of curiosity I decided to check last nights Premiership results and stats, then give them a score based on the NFL system. It doesn't really stack up that well but I couldn't think of a better way to do it, although I think it comes out with some interesting results! Certainly shows that if we were to throw points around like confetti as they do in the states, even the Americans could get excited by the big numbers! At the very least, it shows how a 'boring' 0-0 draw has it moments of excitement. And look at the Sunderland/Middlesbro game. On balance it appears Sunderland should have won, but as usual their finishing wasn't up to the mark, whereas Middlesbro put all their chances away.

Heres how I based the points:

touchdown/goal = 6pts
field goal/shot on target = 3pts
safety/shot off target = 2pts
extra point/corner = 1pts

Sunderland 0 Middlesbro 3
NFL score:
Sunderland 39 Middlesbro 33

Fulham 1 Spurs 0
NFL score:
Fulham 38 Spurs 26

Wigan 1 Everton 1
NFL score:
Wigan 42 Everton 30

Charlton 0 West Brom 0
NFL score:
Charlton 38 West Brom 24

I may do the same tomorrow after tonights matches but I thought you guys may be interested to see the results from the games played last night

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Charlton 0 West Brom 0
NFL score:
Charlton 38 West Brom 24

I just wet myself!

I love the effort ridcully. Little did I know that they're really putting up Arena League numbers! Using your conversion chart I'm going to predict that Pittsburgh will beat Seattle 2-0 in soccer terms.

Peace

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Hmmm 2-0 decent score. I may watch this Super Bowl you speak of and see for my self.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   

touchdown/goal = 6pts
field goal/shot on target = 3pts
safety/shot off target = 2pts
extra point/corner = 1pts

There is a problem here... I can understand a touchdown and a goal being 6 points. But, how the hell is a shot on goal as exciting as a friggin' fieldgoal? Also... You give 2 points for a missed shot, which happens all the damn time, and compare it to one of the rarest and most exciting scores in football. Then you give a corner kick... Which even I will admit is a pretty exciting aspect of soccer and compare it to the "free" extra point after a touchdown.

What you nancyball fans don't seem to understand, is it's not jsut the amount of points but the way the point structure is set up. I'll let you figure that one out.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join