It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
You know... This whole "armor" argument is starting to get on my nerves. Do you have any freaking idea what would happen if the game was played without it? There would be an injury every other down. Bottom line is the game can't be played without it. Not at the pace and intensity at which it is played in the NFL.

It wasnt always played with armor?

The tactics part of football is what I love about the game. The head coach and his decision making actually get him involved in the team more so then "any" other sport. He is making a critical decision every play of the game.

This is what I like about it aswell, a chess match.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
Riiiiiight, a game that lasts 4 hours and stops every two mins, lot of pace there bubba

And there go those camp names again, who or what is a Big Red? dare i ask?

You asked man... Always... Always... Remember the Alamo!!!
www.richmcwilliams.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Congratulations, with that pseudo rock pap soundtrack, and giant MasterCard advert in the middle of the pitch, you've managed to make wankball even more offensive to my sophisticated European tastes.

[Do the armoured up knuckleheads get bonuses for celebrating next to the giant advertising hoardings?]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
Riiiiiight, a game that lasts 4 hours and stops every two mins, lot of pace there bubba

And there go those camp names again, who or what is a Big Red? dare i ask?

You asked man... Always... Always... Remember the Alamo!!!
www.richmcwilliams.com...

The Alamo? Wasnt that a film, a very bad one at that, starring John Wayne?

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I thought about this last night.
You know what else is really whack about soccer? They have one freakin' celebration!!!! The dude who scores a goal runs around like an idiot for ten minutes while the rest of his teammates are trying to catch him and jump on top of him so they can cop a feel. You would think when there's hours between goals that these guys would at least put some effort into their celebrations.

American football players at least have some originality.

Peace

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Yes, the goal scorer runs around for 10 minutes while their team-mates try to feel him.

I've seen many different celebrations. Off the top of my head, Fostino Asprilla (Sp?) when playing for Newcastle United, scored and put his shirt on the corner flag and started waving it in the air.

He then got a yellow card for it...

If you watch the World Cup, I guarantee you'll see more than a bunch of men running around trying to grope eachother.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Robbie Earnshaws "Triple Flip" is one of my favourite celebrations...I'm sure other players do that one, but he looks hilarious, especially when he finishes it by picking up one of those Furry Microphones and putting it to his mouth

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Dr. Love Im guessing you dont watch soccer EVER. My favorite celebration of all time was when Roy Keane (I think) ran over to the sideline and used the white chalked sideline to pretend snorting a huge line of c*ke!!!! A great messsage for the kids.
If that isn't creative then tell me what is? Soccer players have been doing all kinds of celebrations long before anybody in American Football thought of it.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bandar Paul
Dr. Love Im guessing you dont watch soccer EVER. My favorite celebration of all time was when Roy Keane (I think) ran over to the sideline and used the white chalked sideline to pretend snorting a huge line of c*ke!!!! A great messsage for the kids.
If that isn't creative then tell me what is? Soccer players have been doing all kinds of celebrations long before anybody in American Football thought of it.

That was Robbie Fowler.

[edit on 13/1/06 by Implosion]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Correction

I think it was Robbie Fowler who did that celebration. In Another game against Everton the fans were calling him a smackhead throughout the match. He scored a goal and celebrated by running around the pitch hitting his head with his hand.

A smackhead.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The european football is quite better than our american counterpart I believe. Beckham would get his stuff ruined, but he's a prat so it doesn't matter. Keaneo would kill everyone, but an even better idea is:

Vinnie Jones

Vs.

The entire NFL.

He would have them all done in an hour flat. If there is a better matchup, then I don't know it.

[edit on 13/1/06 by SFRemmy]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Lovely bloke that Vinny...

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The pure man's man that vinnie is. It's a shame he's to flippin old to play. He'd be a sight to watch still.

And in case any of you Europeans missed it, I am an American who has heard of Keane, Beckham and Vinnie. I also am a huge supporter of Scotland's Celtic, and the premier's West Ham, whether they be playing like crap or well....playing less like crap. Just don't get me started on Chelsea....

I just wish the old days of players allowed to tackle from anywhere was back...those were the days.

As for the rivalry in the two, this is a bad example but it proves my point. A few times in the Swedish football league, I have heard that the rivalries re so fierce some players bring knives and stab smoeone in the leg or whatnot. Like I said it's a bad example, but the rivalries are muchhhhhh better.

One more thing too. Football (European) is a lot more physically demanding. I've played both since I was about 5. I've never sustained an injury in futbol Americano. the pace is as exciting as watching the Scripp's spelling bee on ESPN on a monday at noon. However, the world's football has given me many injuries. Four broken legs, six broken ankles, a broken wrist, a few dozen concussions, just over a hundred sprains, and I'm only 16. Supposedly if I get one more serious leg injury I get the cane for life. BOOYAH! However, I will give that American Soccer is more intense than European Soccer. Everytime my english friends come over, they complain I play too rough. Now these are kids who grew up in the heydays of violence. I guess we Yanks are just raised to be more competetive. Oh well.

[edit on 13/1/06 by SFRemmy]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
And in case any of you Europeans missed it, I am an American who has heard of Keane, Beckham and Vinnie....playing less like crap.

Hehe... You're no American then.

D

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by D
If that's not what you're into and you're into more hard-hitting stuff, then go for union or league. At least they don't wear "armour", and the games themselves flow instead of lasting for 3 seconds at a time before needing to stop and talk "tactics".

You know... This whole "armor" argument is starting to get on my nerves. Do you have any freaking idea what would happen if the game was played without it? There would be an injury every other down. Bottom line is the game can't be played without it. Not at the pace and intensity at which it is played in the NFL.

Flame on all you want, but it's obvious you Sally Soccer fans know jack about FOOTBALL... Go Big Red!!!.

Well, most of you NFL fanboys make comments on real football without knowing anything or only stating the obvious and stereotypes about it so that comments a bit hypocritical.

Ever watched union? They whack each other to bits in that and they don't need to wear anything other than a bit of soft shoulder padding. And the pace and intensity of union is far greater than that of NFL.

Anyway, each to their own. I personally like football because of its accessibility for all to watch and play. And because I used to play as well. Played as a goalkeeper which was lots of fun.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
to be honest, watching soccer can be kinda boring to me!!!! But to be honest I respect the amount of skill and endurance it takes to play it! Those Dudes have Real Heart!!!!

As For American Football, I think You have to remember the amount of Strength it takes to try to either Hold some Mother-Fer back! or Drop him On the Ground! It might seem easy but it aint! Especially when people people who weigh over 200lbs are flying at you, making it feel like you've been hit by a car, and i might add I've been hit by a couple cars ,And i've landed more gracefully than being tackled by some other 250lb schoe like me wanting to knock me uncounscious.

I have had my head ringing for hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where I think American Football differs from soccer is You can only take those hard hits for so long dude, After a while the ringing doesn't really go away! You can't push Off or hold your ground as much as you used too. You can't get up from a really bad hit and get up and run as fast as you can. So after a while You hit your mid-twenties or early thirties and You op for playing basketball with your buds and god forbid(which i'm tryhing to do now) Start a softball team at work!

Soccer you can play for your whole life!!!!!! I've worked with people who play once a week that are in their forties.And to me its like DAMN!!!!!! Overall Soccer seems a better sport to invest your time in(only playing wise i mean) but DAMN!!!!!!Play More than Fifty football games and your body starts telling you to slow down.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Now that was a balanced and honest reply, no name calling or disrespect, we could all learn something from that.
Nice one.
I dont know anything about about American Football but i watched a game on Channel 4 the other night and i must say its strangly hypnotic lol, i still find it over complicated and over long but i cant say i didnt enjoy watching it.
Still not as good as real Football but its not the worse game in the World, try watching Cricket god i hate Cricket!

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Here in Aust, we all watch Aussie Rules. Dunno if many other people from around the globe have seen this game in action, but it can be damn good.

American football, gridiron I think we call it, can look very good and I love how they use the tactics, but in all this, the name's the key. American football = feet are used the absolute minimum, as throwing is more accurate. Aussie football = feet are used most of the time, exept for close passes, where handballs are used. Football [aka soccer] = been around for lots longer, so has naming rights. Oh, and also, ONLY THE FEET ARE USED! And dont give me that crap about goalkeepers. I'm a goalie, and I'd much prefer to hit somebody than pick up that ball.

And what of the armour used in American FB? A big pack of sissies. But the same goes for all the field players in soccer. Someone so much as looks at them and they go down calling for a red card. Except fot this guy, maybe:

Originally posted by Implosion
Love this pic . . .

AFL is the most rugged sport out of these. The most people get hurt, and that's what ruggedness should be measured by. No bloody helmets and pads in this. And no ball-pinching.

D

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Here in Aust, we all watch Aussie Rules. Dunno if many other people from around the globe have seen this game in action, but it can be damn good.

A lot bigger in Victoria and WA than it is on the East. League still dominates NSW and QLD, although AFL should pick up here in NSW after Sydney won the final.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join