It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully
Oh no, we shower, we just dont have towel, erm, people

And if we did, they sure as hell wouldn't be Men or Boys!!

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Ahhh Football, the beautiful game. Bobby and Jackie Charlton, Billy Bremner, The Busby Babes, Pele, Maradonna ( bloody cheating genius ) great names like that send a shiver down ya spine.
Football is by far and away the greatest game ever conceived and this year we have half a chance of winning the most important sporting trophy in the World.
The World Cup, let me say that again for all you Yanks The World Cup.
That’s right, not some title that we give ourselves for winning a Game that no one else plays i.e. the World Series or proclaiming that you are the World Chumps on a horrible piece of bling because you won a competition that is exclusively played in the US, I mean how conceited is that?
I myself support a team called Leeds United, before you bloody cockneys, scousers and manx buggers start I know we are the team everyone loves to hate, after Man U anyway. But it’s my Dads fault he took me when I was 7 and ive been hooked ever since.
Its easy supporting a team that does well week in week out but try supporting a team like Leeds and all we have been through and come out smiling, its not bloody easy I can tell you.
That’s another thing that sets Football apart from Yank Football, a team is forever tied to the town that it started with, not like American Football. If they had tried to move Leeds to another town like when the Raiders moved from Oakland to LA and then back again there would have been riots.
And what’s with the names? Raider, Colts, Redskins? All sounds a bit camp to me.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   

That’s another thing that sets Football apart from Yank Football, a team is forever tied to the town that it started with, not like American Football. If they had tried to move Leeds to another town like when the Raiders moved from Oakland to LA and then back again there would have been riots.

I think thats stupid as well, although it is American through and through. They're all franchises that some rich bugger buys every ten years or something, just like a McDonalds!!

Ahh, America, where the Dollar is God...yeah, right....

Anyhoo....

Leeds?

Mwoooohahahahahahahaha

Reading are by far the better team! 3rd place and still 18 points behind!! How naff is that?

Also, 28 games without defeat...bring it on!!

P GD PTS
1 Reading 28 44 69
2 Sheff Utd 28 27 62
3 Leeds 27 15 51
4 Watford 28 11 46
5 Crystal Palace 26 14 44
6 Preston 27 11 41
7 Wolverhampton 28 7 39
8 Burnley 28 4 39
9 Luton 28 1 38
10 Cardiff 28 1 38
11 Norwich 28 -4 38
12 Stoke 28 -5 38
13 QPR 28 -6 36
14 Southampton 27 0 34
15 Ipswich 28 -12 33
16 Coventry 28 -7 32
17 Hull 28 -7 30
18 Derby 28 -6 29
19 Plymouth 26 -10 28
20 Sheff Wed 28 -11 27
21 Leicester 27 -8 26
22 Brighton 28 -16 25
23 Millwall 28 -18 25
24 Crewe 28 -25 22

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
And what’s with the names? Raider, Colts, Redskins? All sounds a bit camp to me.

My favourite was always the Green Bay PACKERS!

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   
If we can kick the bloody dee daa's out of second ill be happy with that Stu, Christ id be happy with a playoff place after the few years we have had to endure lol.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Reading are by far the better team!

After seeing the way they took apart Cardiff the other day, I'd be hard pressed to disagree

I think Reading could do a Wigan next season and end up upsetting half the Premiership, but then I thought Sunderland were looking decent last season too...Haha, poor Mick McCarthy.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Yeah i can agree with that, good team Reading, peronally i think it would be better if we ( Leeds ) didnt go up this year. We would have to buy in some new players and a lot of the money we made from going up would have to go to paying whats left of the 80 mil+ debt we had when we took the drop.
We dont have the cash to compete in the top flight.
But we will be back and kicking you buggers up and and down the pitch, maybe not this year but we will be back.

[edit on 11-1-2006 by Janus]

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion

My favourite was always the Green Bay PACKERS!

You know the history behind that name you find so funny?

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Were they originally fudge packers in a sweet factory?

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   

No my piss bag throwing friend.:bash:
Read up... Quite an interesting story actually.

Birth of a Team and a Legend

George Calhoun

On Aug. 11, 1919, a score or more husky young athletes, called together by Curly Lambeau and George Calhoun, gathered in the dingy editorial room of the old Green Bay Press-Gazette building on Cherry Street and organized a football team. They didn't know it, but that was the beginning of the incredible saga of the Green Bay Packers.

Lambeau and Calhoun struck the initial spark a few weeks before, during a casual street-corner conversation. It was apparently a "Why not get up a football team?" remark, but once they were interested they wasted no time.

First they talked Curly's employer -- a war-time industry called the Indian Packing Company, where he worked as a shipping clerk for $250/month -- into putting up money for jerseys.
www.packers.com...

Read the rest of the link... All jokes aside, I personally find it amazing that a team that started the way it did is still competing in this modern era. Green Bay is still the blue collar town it was when the "Packers" got their name.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Similar to West Brom

Theres probably more from around the UK that have a similar start

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The way I see it is that you Euros have a professional team in every neighborhood, or whatever the hell you call those. What a mess!! Why not just take the best players from all the teams and make a city team. Then you can all come together in a peceful manner without having to lob bags of blood and urine on one another. Then take all the best players from the city teams and make a national World Cup Team.

Peace

p.s. Those players on the neighborhood teams must not make squat.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Yeh, most clubs around the UK started like that it wasn't comercial back in then day. Vauxhall FC is mad up of people who work in the vauxhall or Opel as it is also known.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor

No my piss bag throwing friend.:bash:
Read up... Quite an interesting story actually.

OK. Interesting, granted, but still funny. There is no way however, that American wankball can compete with Football for names. Deportivo Wanka is one of my personal favourites. Total Network Solutions does it for me though from an old school romanticists perspective.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
The way I see it is that you Euros have a professional team in every neighborhood, or whatever the hell you call those. What a mess!! Why not just take the best players from all the teams and make a city team. Then you can all come together in a peceful manner without having to lob bags of blood and urine on one another. Then take all the best players from the city teams and make a national World Cup Team.

Peace

Yes we have neighbourhoods, we just spell it properly. And theres a WORLD of football out there, not just in Europe. The rest of what you put is just absurd. Some cities have one team, some several. Doesn't that happen in the USA? Most are town football teams and the only (proffesional) team there. Most clubs are nearly 100 years old, some far older. So we just disband all that history, meld all the teams into geographical area and start again? Oh dear
And where the hell do you think the national team is selected from? I know its a foreign concept, but taking the best players from the clubs is how the national team IS selected.

p.s. even in the lower leagues the players make a VERY decent wage. Top premiership stars can make over £100,000/week

D

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

A lot of those neighbourhood teams are amateur teams. Those players have full-time jobs during the week and play football on the weekend for the fun of it.

Anyway, nothing beats the World Game.

If that's not what you're into and you're into more hard-hitting stuff, then go for union or league. At least they don't wear "armour", and the games themselves flow instead of lasting for 3 seconds at a time before needing to stop and talk "tactics".

[edit on 12/1/06 by D]

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by D
If that's not what you're into and you're into more hard-hitting stuff, then go for union or league. At least they don't wear "armour", and the games themselves flow instead of lasting for 3 seconds at a time before needing to stop and talk "tactics".

You know... This whole "armor" argument is starting to get on my nerves. Do you have any freaking idea what would happen if the game was played without it? There would be an injury every other down. Bottom line is the game can't be played without it. Not at the pace and intensity at which it is played in the NFL.

The tactics part of football is what I love about the game. The head coach and his decision making actually get him involved in the team more so then "any" other sport. He is making a critical decision every play of the game.

Flame on all you want, but it's obvious you Sally Soccer fans know jack about FOOTBALL... Go Big Red!!!.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   
armour dear boy, armour

Silly yanks and your bad spelling

Flame on all you want, but it's obvious you Sally Soccer fans know jack about FOOTBALL... Go Big Red!!!

Well us 'sally soccer' fans know, unlike you 'wendy wankball' fans, that football is played with BALL and FOOT. NOT ball and hand. So, when it comes to FOOTball, we know more than you ever will. Ill grant you you know more than us about POINTYball, but guess what? we couldn't give a rats about your silly game, same as you don't care about ours

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Not at the pace and intensity at which it is played in the NFL.

Riiiiiight, a game that lasts 4 hours and stops every two mins, lot of pace there bubba

And there go those camp names again, who or what is a Big Red? dare i ask?

[edit on 12-1-2006 by Janus]

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Yes, American football has plays that last around ten seconds and then 40 seconds between plays, so what?????

The only way the girls who invented soccer could keep it remotely interesting was to have no breaks and constant running and a ball being kicked to an fro'. The poor goalie has to stand there pickin' his nose for an hour before he has to spring into action.

Peace

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join