It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New US Secret Government Agency Proposed (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
A new Government agency is being proposed called the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Agency, or BARDA. It supposedly is for the purposes of streamlining the development process of new drugs and vaccines, safeguarding national security and protecting the proprietary interests of drug companies. It basically bypasses the FOIA for these goals.

start.earthlink.net
"We must ensure the federal government acts as a partner with the private sector, providing the incentives and protections necessary to bring more and better drugs and vaccines to market faster," Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., said when the Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions approved the bill.

The agency would provide the funding for development of treatments and vaccines to protect the United States from natural pandemics as well as chemical, biological and radiological agents.

But it is the secrecy and immunity provisions of the legislation that have alarmed patient rights and open government advocates. The agency would be exempt from the Freedom of Information and Federal Advisory Committee acts, both considered crucial for monitoring government accountability.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am having a serious problem with this particular subject matter having legislation proposed of this magnitude. I for one just can't reconcile it. It would seem to me that there are areas much more appropriate for this kind of legislation, though I wouldn't support it in any instance.

There is something inherently disturbing about this report, beyond the obivous, that I just can't put my finger on.

[edit on 12/2/2005 by Relentless]

[edit on 12/2/2005 by Relentless]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Be quiet and take your medicine...

Things seem to be moving along right on schedule. We made it legal to secretly develop drugs and hide their side effects, we have a global threat in the form of "bird flu" that we can use to force you take our drugs, and when you find out it actually performs a chemical labotomy and there never was a "bird flu" threat, oh well..

oops, did I say that out loud? Sorry boss.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I think that this quote from the article puts the issue into the proper perspective. The drug companies are a lot like the oil industry. There is no law that requires that capital be invested in either and when we put excessive restrictions on such companies without proper protections against exploitative litigation, we limit the potential for investment in these areas.

myearthlink.com

Republican and Democratic lawmakers alike agree the drug industry needs some protections to encourage it to produce emergency stocks of vaccines and drugs, but Democrats have balked at providing blanket immunity without first establishing a compensation fund for patients.

Republicans are pushing for liability protections for vaccine manufacturers on other fronts as well. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., is seeking to add such protections to a defense appropriations bill.

Frist spokeswoman Amy Call said drug company concerns about liability are real.

"There's really no financial incentive for them to get into the market, sell to the government at a reduced rate and then open themselves up to losses that could potentially bankrupt them," Call said.

The push for liability exemptions may force the Burr bill to the sidelines until the next session of Congress, Republican and Democratic aides said. But Call said Frist intends to pursue the legislation.

Furthermore:

myearthlink.com

"While some progress has been made, we still haven't seen the participation from companies, universities and research institutions in developing vaccines we might need to protect us from the next threat, whatever that might be," Heye said. "One of the reasons is (they) don't want to put their very existence on the line."

However, it seems to me that there will be significant changes in this bill that will address the concerns of both sides of the aisle before it gets to the President's desk. I believe that this is important legislation and that there will ultimately be considerable cooperation to protect both business and public interests.

[edit on 2005/12/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   
This seems to be nothing more than a step towards taking away accountability from the pharmaceuticals. I wouldn't trust this for a moment. But then again I'm skeptical by nature

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
..... More hording is not the answer .....
Whats next ban Open Source Biotech? Phaw...

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
In other worlds take you medicine and if you start growing pig ears and pig tales or just die from the medicine it will be a national offenses and an act of treason to sue the private corporation that manufactured the drug.

So . . . what is going to be?

Will they force everybody to take their medicines and vaccinations in the name of national security?.

That is the question we as citizens must ask.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
This is a repeat of this story:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join