It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Boston City Officials Say It Is A 'Holiday' Not 'Christmas Tree'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The constitutional rights and laws being broken are the free exercise of religion and religious discrimination.

You’re being kept from exercising your religion? Are they somehow keeping you from praying? From reading your holy book? Have they blocked you from attending church? Are they arresting you for calling it a “Christmas tree”? Putting duct tape over your mouth?

How specifically are you being discriminated against? Can’t purchase a tree because you’re a Christian? Are they keeping you from eating a particular restaurant because you’re a Christian?

Come on, you guys; if you’re going to shout “discrimination” and “religious persecution” let’s hear the details of this discrimination.

Printing “Holiday Tree” on a flyer is not discrimination any more than printing “Winter Sale” instead of “Christmas Sale” on a flyer…

Originally posted by Spreadthetruth
Also, its politically incorect to call Christmas lights Christmas Lights..... You have to call them 'Festive lights' or some rubbish..

You have to call them 'Festive lights'? You have to? What is the punishment for calling them Christmas lights? Jail? A fine? Who is making you use the term 'Festive lights'. It might be politically correct, but last I checked, using politically correct language is a choice, not a government mandate. You’re free to call them whatever you like.

Originally posted by snafu7700
whatever happened to "majority rules?"

I think it’s been made clear by now that this is not a kickball game. Majority does NOT rule in the US government. They are not ignoring 94% and appeasing 6%. They are doing their best to respect the diversity of the USA. To respect 100% of the citizens' religious beliefs.

Originally posted by snafu7700
if it doesnt really matter to you non-believers out there what it is called, then why do we have to change the name?

YOU don't. Call it a jack-in-the-box if you want. Nobody is telling you what to do! Point out where someone is telling you what you have to call the tree...

[edit on 5-12-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Point out where someone is telling you what you have to call the tree...

In Detroit the homeowners were told] by the association they had to remove the nativity scene. Just what part of that do you not understand?

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
In Detroit the homeowners were told] by the association they had to remove the nativity scene. Just what part of that do you not understand?

I understand it perfectly. Some homeowners' association thought they could quash the free expression of these people. They TRIED.

But did the people have to take it down? No. Even if the homeowners' association HAD pursued it, they would have lost. The homeowners had the law on their side. Next?

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I'm an American and a Christian, but the right-wing zealotry about their "political correctness" is a load of hooey!

These same individuals were SCREAMING about the need to take the commercialization out of Christmas.

Now they're screaming that stores (commercial enterprises) are not callling it Christmas.

We have a long tradition of public displays of nativity scenes, Christmas trees and menorahs. These displays do not force anyone to worship a particular faith, nor do they constitute an "establishment" of religion (1st amendment). If one were forced to stop in reverence or bow- that would be an establishment of religion.

These displays are now a part of the common conscience of America's unique ability to turn everything into an excuse for commerce. Why isn't there an uproar about the destruction of the sanctity of Washington and Lincoln's birthdays, or of Memorial Day, 4th of July or Veteran's Days? Those are the true "Holy" days of the USA, yet nary a peep from those self-righteous "moral" Americans.

Sorry, this is one idiotic game of "gotcha" between right-wing religious zealots and off the wall "atheists" that's wasting valuable court time and public resources. Unfortunately, as a nation, the U.S. has become so polarized that the center has, literally, fallen out.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Ya know ptownrob... I sometimes think this is all a big difference in what we, as a culture and people, have become. There was a time when all the differences were not differences, so much as an accepted part of just the way we are. At least that was my perception as a child. Channukah decorations and Christian decorations were all over town.

We knew we were all different, but that's just the way it was, and there was no big deal about it.

We have become, in my, perhaps, screwy opinion, a society of self centered piles of flesh... No one can just let things slide as they used to be. We have to contiually push for political, religious, moral, and ethical correctness, often to the extent of stupidity.

Ya know... I used to think that I wanted to live forever. But, as I get older, I find that I honestly believe that we oldsters have to go away so the youngsters can live, develop, and create their own folkways and morés. And, personally, I don't think that I want to outlive my youthful memories of Christmas (religious or not) wherein there were glass lightbulbs on the Christmas tree, strings of popcorn, paper ornaments, bubbling liquid filled, candle lights and real candy canes. No aluminum or plastic trees in those days. Tinsel was made out of extremely thin aluminum foil or similar material, at least it was metal.

The relatives all got together and exchanged gifts, ate until we were stuffed and just generally had a great day. Some went to church, some did not. but no one put anyone else down for their beliefs, or lack thereof.

Used to be a time when people really wanted to have peace on earth. There were examples from two previous World Wars where, hundreds of thousand of men were involved in the express mission of killing one another, only to have a truce and break over the Christmas holidays. Some things, then, seemed to transcend political differences, and temporal differences.

I long for the days when I didn't have a quiet, somber, and solo tumbler of scotch on Christmas day with which I salute absent comrades (military folk know what I mean, I suspect). I long for the simple joys of a day of excitement, family, and love without worrying whether or not that you or your family or friends are offended that I have a nativity in my front yard, of a menorah.

I love to sit and reminisce over Christmas Carols sung by the varied likes of Gene Autry, Nat king Cole, Bing Crosby, Mel Tormé, and the Beach Boys, with the joy in my heart of the day...

Sigh ... And so, knowing that this stuff will not come to pass anymore in that same innocent fashion, perhaps it is a good thing that we old folks end up going on out of here instead of languishing in a time and in a set of conditions that we do not understand or feel like we wish to have to put up with for the rest of our lives.

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year a.k.a Happy Holidays.

Now leaving this post to the haunting, faint strains of "It's the Little St. Nick" by the Beach Boys.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Absolutely, many holidays existed at the same time. I don't know of any real issues. You now have a few people who apparently want to make everyone around them unhappy by creating this "big" problem that didn't exist before. Christmas is Christmas, it's not "the holiday." Hanakka is Hanakka, it is also not "the holiday." Easter is Easter, it's not the "Spring holiday." They have their name for a reason. No one should stop you from posting "Merry Christmas." There is no reason you can't have "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays" and "Happy Hanakka" all in the same store.

When you say someone can't freely express their traditions and holidays, provided they are doing no harm, then you have taken away that much of their freedom. They would have to keep traditions to themselves like some "dark and dirty" secret. This is what used to happen in the old USSR.

These folks who want to run their mouths about the word "Christmas." Allright, if that's the way you want it. Then get "yourself" out of the spotlight and "stop" advertising your holiday to others. Take "your" holiday and hide it, and don't even think of telling others about your "holiday," keep it to yourself. Isn't that what you want those who celebrate Christmas to do? Fair enough?

And we'll not put up any decorations, because that might offend someone. Nobody is going to sing or nothing like that because that might offend someone. No one is going to shop or give gifts or give to the Salvation Army, or do anything that is going to bring to mind "Christmas" or any other holiday, because someone might be offended.

Folks, we can't continue to go in this direction, it's just too silly.

So, I say Merry Christmas, Happy Hanakka, and Happy Holidays, and Happy (insert holiday)!

Troy

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join