It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deterrent Sentences - Ahhhhhahahahaha

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I think I may have found one of the reasons the UK is circling the drain. Behold, I give you, your CHAVs.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

With sentences hovering around 17 years for killing people with an axe because you don't like the colour of their skin, doubtless with a 50% reduction for good behaviour, murder would now appear to have been elevated to the status of an interesting hobby for Brits.

Just what do you have to do to go to jail and have the key thrown away, murder the entire Royal Family ??

Good job the dead guy didn't try and defend himself otherwise HE would have been on trial.

Seriously, you guys are making this stuff up right ?

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The sentences handed down are minimum sentences.

Paul Taylor, 20, will serve at least 23 years and eight months in jail for the murder. His cousin Michael Barton, 17, will serve at least 17 years and eight months.

Source.

That minor point aside. I still don't think those sentences are long enough.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Good catch, my bad.

I still think that a crime like this should mean that you will never see the outside World ever again.

These are joke sentences for the worst type of crime. Talk about your soft countries.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T
I still think that a crime like this should mean that you will never see the outside World ever again.

- That may still be the case.

These are joke sentences for the worst type of crime. Talk about your soft countries.

- How?

All that has happened is that the trial Judge has set a minimum 23 years and 17 years before these men can even be considered for any kind of early release.

They might still spend the rest of their natual in prison.

No-one is even going to begin looking at the possibility of any kind of early release for them until they have served this minimum or 23 and 17 years.

In what way is that meant to be 'soft'?

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
sminkey taking a life for any circumstance is purely wrong.
IMO i think 17 or 23 years is below the jail sentence. i class that as being soft. an innocent human being was killed because of those thugs and they should never be allowed out of jail (IMO).

oni x x

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oni x x
sminkey taking a life for any circumstance is purely wrong.

- I don't think anyone is going to argue with you about that.

IMO i think 17 or 23 years is below the jail sentence. i class that as being soft.

- How do you mean?

17 & 23 years (they are actually 18 & 24 year 'terms' but time already spent in custody is taken off to give the reported 17 & 23 years) are the minimum time that must pass before these guy get any mere consideration of an early release whatsoever.

It might mean they spend 30 years in jail or 40......and it still might mean they spend the rest of their lives in jail.

an innocent human being was killed because of those thugs and they should never be allowed out of jail (IMO).

- We are all entitled to our opinions, thankfully.

But let's say after 30 years and after having spent such a huge chunk of their lives in jail for what they did they are assessed as being absolutely no threat to anyone, genuinely contrite and capable of being rehabilitated back into society to contribute along with everyone else what is the point of locking them up for longer?

Vengeance IMO is not justice and it is pretty self-evident that nothing anyone does will ever properly 'repay' what they did.

I do not call the length of term those guys got 'soft'.
I'd call the prospect of the loss of ones' liberty (probably for well over 20 years for one of them and 30 for the other) a terrible, if deserved, prospect.

My own view would be to accept the Walker families' response.

Their uncommon humanity, astonishing dignity and remarkable strength speak volumes (in stark and marked contrast to some) -

Anthony's mother

-
"Why live a life sentence? Hate killed my son, so why should I be a victim too?" said Mrs Walker.

"Unforgiveness makes you a victim and why should I be a victim? Anthony spent his life forgiving. His life stood for peace, love and forgiveness and I brought them up that way.

I have to practice what I preach. I don't feel any bitterness towards them really, truly, all I feel is... I feel sad for the family."

Anthony's sister

"I did say I forgive and I do still stand by that because you have to. That's one of the things I was raised on and what my mum taught me.

"I feel sorry for them because they didn't know what they were doing, they don't understand the magnitude of what they've done."

Anthony's cousin

"We have no reason to be jubilant because that will not bring Anthony back," he said.

"Anthony was a devout Christian and the world is a worse place without him. Our lives will never be the same again."

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T

- That may still be the case.

- How?

All that has happened is that the trial Judge has set a minimum 23 years and 17 years before these men can even be considered for any kind of early release.

They might still spend the rest of their natual in prison.

No-one is even going to begin looking at the possibility of any kind of early release for them until they have served this minimum or 23 and 17 years.

In what way is that meant to be 'soft'?

Because, and call me old fashioned, but splitting an innocent kid's skull wide open with an axe for no apparent reason should result in a full life sentence, and preferably execution - anything less than either option is "soft" to any country that is seriously taking on violent crime.

The 17 year old will be out when he's what 35 ? How could you see that as anything but soft, this pair should never walk the streets again.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
How hard are you trying to avoid this concept of a minimum time that must pass before these guy get any mere consideration of an early release?

They both may still end up serving a sentence for their entire life.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   
hopefully they will spend their lifes in jail its what they deserve....

Anthony's family are alot more forgiving than i would be. i give them respect for that but i would not under no circumstances forgive them thugs that killed him.

being hit over the head with an ice axe and beaten due to your skin colour is sick. being killed is bad but in that way is just cruel and evil.
someone that EVIL should spend their entire life in prision and death.

oni x x

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Winchester Ranger T, you'd love Singapore. They kill more per capita than anyone. 2 year sentence for chewing gum without a license. There's your daddy state for ya. Law & Order! Low crime. Swift 'justice.' No such thing as a criminal defense or civil liberties. Sounds like paradise doesn't it?

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
You need to look at the facts of the case a bit more, see why it was given out as only 17 years and 8months.

Let alone, did they confess they also gave themselves up after leaving the country. They came back to stand trial, which is not something someone who thought what they did was right tends to do. By the time they come out [if they do] they will both be a lot older and it is likely they will be no harm to society or to anyone and I would rather they have 17 years, than it be 25 and the court having to pay hundreds of thousands and spend years on the case.

new topics

top topics

join