It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Earth Mac?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
im really tiard of waiting, does anyone know or have any clue when google earth will be out for mac. i really really really want it!

thanks

Velvet

Mod Edit: Removed all caps title. Just net-quette.

[edit on 1-12-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

mac..

hahahahahahahahaha

leap into the 90's and get rid of the dinosaur.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
What about trying a PC emulator. I don't have a Mac system, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there anyway. Perhaps another member has more info on this........

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

mac..

hahahahahahahahaha

leap into the 90's and get rid of the dinosaur.

What are you on about?
Want to try out Micrsofts next OS system? Here's how, go to the store check out OSX Tiger, Ta da!! Widgets, automatic updates, idisk, etc I guarantee you Gates and co are stealing those things right now.

Yeah my nineties era G5 2.5 Dual 64-bit Processor ,with 5GIG of RAM, HDTV plasma screen monitor is a real dinosour. Im a photogrpaher so Mac is the industry standard, oh and produce a little music on Logic ,the undisputed music producing program (A Mac ONLY program). Funny how all us creative types are so behind the times. Used PC's my entire life went to Uni to become a photographer was forced to use Macs, no fully converted.

Oh and one last thing no one EVER has released a virus for a MAC. Also I can look at any webpage I want and NEVER have spyware problems! Aint that nice. Dont think any of the music and film companies are suing any MAc users either. Rape and Pillage music for free!

Us Mac users like being the little guy so all the mindless lemmings out there can follow Microsoft and others blindlessly. I find it so funny how people call Macs toys yet when it comes down to serious number crunching i.e. Photoshop, music processing Macs dominate the market.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   

by BanderPaul:
Yeah my nineties era G5 2.5 Dual 64-bit Processor ,with 5GIG of RAM, HDTV plasma screen monitor is a real dinosour. Im a photogrpaher so Mac is the industry standard, oh and produce a little music on Logic ,the undisputed music producing program (A Mac ONLY program). Funny how all us creative types are so behind the times. Used PC's my entire life went to Uni to become a photographer was forced to use Macs, no fully converted.

Oh and one last thing no one EVER has released a virus for a MAC. Also I can look at any webpage I want and NEVER have spyware problems! Aint that nice. Dont think any of the music and film companies are suing any MAc users either. Rape and Pillage music for free!

Us Mac users like being the little guy so all the mindless lemmings out there can follow Microsoft and others blindlessly. I find it so funny how people call Macs toys yet when it comes down to serious number crunching i.e. Photoshop, music processing Macs dominate the market.

While PCs are the core of my business and usage ... I do have a "toy" in the closet [per se] for exactly what you stated.

MAC is and has been the ultimate graphics/audio platform, for the most part, for years. No argument there!

As for virus vulnerabilities ... yes ... the Macs are pretty much unaffected as compared to IBM clones (Windows/PCs).

However, IMO, for overall universal applications and general usage, the IBM (Windows/PC) clones still have the upper hand.

Just my $.02

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Velvet1717
im really tiard of waiting, does anyone know or have any clue when google earth will be out for mac. i really really really want it!

Perhaps we could just find a solution to the problem presented??????

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
exactly correct system wars will come later, but first off i would like to state that i have a brand new G5 dual prosesser and it will run faster then any dell i've ever seen

but really any news on google earth?

velvet

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   

While PCs are the core of my business and usage ... I do have a "toy" in the closet [per se] for exactly what you stated.

As for virus vulnerabilities ... yes ... the Macs are pretty much unaffected as compared to IBM clones (Windows/PCs).

However, IMO, for overall universal applications and general usage, the IBM (Windows/PC) clones still have the upper hand.

Agreed, I wasnt agrueing that PC's dont have their place and are dominate the global market place but they are anything but dinosours
Just my $.02

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
You may want to try Guest PC or iEmulator for Mac if you want to run the program. I don't know if they work with it, but these are some of the best-reviewed PC emulators that I know of.

But please, let's not debate the Macs vs PC thing...why can't we just enjoy technology for technology's sake?

Why does everyone have to get in a pissing contest? This is just as vile and pointless as console gaming arguments.

Everything has a place and purpose. Venomous arguing does nothing but turn casual users against the Macintosh. Fortunately, I still respect it and have even suggested that a few of my co-workers consider getting one for video production purposes. It's the machine of choice for graphics designers...and if that is your thing, well, great!

Face the truth, Mac or PC, we're all geeks who just look geekier by arguing about it.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I know but I got to support my Mac and ATS is kinda of one huge pissing contest

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Just got a beta copy of Google Earth for Mac, playing with it right now. It is runniing perfectly!!

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Google Earth - Mac has arrived.

System requirements for Google Earth on the Mac
The Google Earth client requires certain system configurations in order to run smoothly on the Mac.

Minimum Configuration:

Mac OS X (10.4)
500Mhz
256M RAM
400MB disk space
Network speed: 128Kbits/sec
3D-capable video card with 16Mbytes of VRAM
1024x768, "16-bit High Color" screen
Recommended Configuration:

Mac OS X (10.4)
1.5GHz+
512M RAM
2 GB of free disk space
Network speed: 768 Kbits/sec or better (DSL/Cable)
3D-capable video card with 32 MB of VRAM or greater
1280x1024, "32-bit True Color" screen.
System requirements

Download page.

I've just installed it in my G4 Powerbook, and it works great. Even the resolution of Australian mapping images are stunning.

I'm still trying to find my ponderosa.

Sanc'.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bandar Paul
What are you on about?
Want to try out Micrsofts next OS system? Here's how, go to the store check out OSX Tiger, Ta da!! Widgets, automatic updates, idisk, etc I guarantee you Gates and co are stealing those things right now.

Widgets? Widgets have been around for quite a while on Windows, long before they were on Mac OS. Ever heard of DesktopX? Windows had widgets all the way back in 2000. They weren't as nice as they are now, but Windows did have them. The first appearance of Widgets on Mac OS were from a program called Konfabulator, which later came to Windows, and later became known as the Yahoo Widget Engine (after Yahoo bought the developers). Integrated Widgets didn't happen until Mac OS Tiger. So who stole from who?

Automatic updates? Damn, we've had that on Windows for a few years now. iDisk? I can just FTP my files (most OSs have FTP clients)... in fact, that's what a good portion of Apple users end up doing. Macintosh Finder isn't required to modify or access a users iDisk.

There have been viruses released for Mac OS. The reason why they aren't as prevalent as viruses on Windows is because virus developers want to screw up as many computers as possible when they release a virus... what is the most prevalent operating system? Bingo! Windows. The same goes for Spyware and Adware. Mac OS's time will come once Apple starts gaining more marketshare in the computer world. Then you will see how "safe" it is.

As far as "number" crunching goes, the only thing that made Macs different from a Windows/Linux PC was the processor being used. Don't you find it strange Apple would jump ship all these years and jump on the Intel bandwagon? Here's a reason - IBM wouldn't manufacture as many processors or types of processors as Apple wanted. The G series processor also get hot, really hot, and their performance has never been on par with Intel/AMD processors. There's also the fact that IBM wouldn't/couldn't develop a decent mobile processor. Apple computers are not the "fastest" computers in the world - it's pure marketing. Look at how they're now saying that their Intel-based computers are 2-5 times faster than the previous IBM generation.

Now that Apple has switched to Intel, there won't be any difference between an Apple/Windows/Linux computer hardware wise - only the OS is different. Steve Jobs even said something similar to "Apple is the OS."

The fact is there aren't too many original ideas in the OS world. Everyone is buying/stealing ideas from someone else. Hell, Apple bought the original Mac OS (of course it wasn't called Mac OS) from Xerox Corp. Microsoft bought DOS from some small company in Washington (if I recall). Microsoft needed a GUI, so they looked at Mac OS for ideas, and you know what? They really didn't steal it, Windows is quite a different beast from Mac OS. Similar features (what OS doesn't?), yet very different in the way they work.

The Mac VS. Windows crap is a never-ending diatribe. Here's an idea: who cares what you use? It all comes down to user-preference. I prefer to build my own computers and use Windows/Linux - it's a helluva lot cheaper than buying a Mac just to use Apple's OS. I can build a performance PC that can easily go head-to-head with the best Mac for much less. Apple products are pure markup, why do you think they're having such good fortune with the amount of net profit they are gaining each quarter? Steve Jobs is a marketing genius. He could sell feces and he would make a profit.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I downloaded it and it's great...but it invariably crashes my computer after a few searches with a kernel panic (not just the application unexpectedly quits)

Is this happening to anyone else?

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Yeah, I had that happen.
When you first open it, you are asked if you want to open it a certain way---I forget the wording--so I decided to play it safe and said "NO"
Apparently it then runs poorly and crashes itself.

The next time, I said yes and now it works like a charm.

HTH

new topics

top topics

join