It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prevention Efforts No Priority of Tobacco Money (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
There is going to be $21.3 billion in funds generated by the 1998 tobacco settlement and taxes levied on tobacco by states for the fiscal year 2006. Of this, only $551 million is slated to be devoted to preventing kids from starting smoking. The CDC recommends $1.6 billion for such programs, over three times the amount currently allocated.

townhall.com
(AP) Study: States Misdirecting Tobacco Money
Dec 1 2005

By JONATHAN M. KATZ
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

Just a fraction of the money that states received from tobacco settlements and taxes is being used to prevent smoking, advocacy groups reported in a study Wednesday.

The report, "A Broken Promise to Our Children," was released by the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, American Heart Association, American Cancer Society and American Lung Association.

Some $551 million is allocated for tobacco-use prevention programs in the 2006 budget year, the study said. That pales in comparison with the $1.6 billion recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Vince Willmore, spokesman for the campaign.

Even that amount would represent a small part of the $21.3 billion available to states this year from the 1998 tobacco settlement and state tobacco taxes.

Only Maine, Colorado, Delaware and Mississippi spend at least the minimum levels recommended by the CDC, the study said.

Michigan, Missouri, New Hampshire South Carolina, Tennessee and the District of Columbia spend no state funds at all, the report found, while 30 other states fund at less than half of the recommended amount.

States sell tobacco-related funds to pay off budget shortfalls and use them for capital campaigns and construction projects, the report said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

These funds need to be responsibly applied to the purpose for which they are intended. There is no excuse for the pittance applied to prevention programs.

Please visit the link below and read "A Broken Promise to Our Children."

Related News Links:
www.tobaccofreekids.org

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

States sell tobacco-related funds to pay off budget shortfalls and use them for capital campaigns and construction projects, the report said.

So I guess that means it goes straight back to the same international corporations it came from, huh?

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Most of the people on this thread are of the mind that prevention education does not work. I am inclined to agree with them.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2005/12/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I thought I had to.

Don't I have to include providence? I try to check for copyright issues and all, as well.

Prevention education certainly won't work if you are diverting the money to pay for it to capital projects and debt payments and construction projects.

[edit on 1-12-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
``

each State should allocate that (long term) 'revenue source' as they see fit.
the CDC can only make suggestions, which they have with the $1.6 Bil figure you noted in your piece.

I kinda figure, the Tobacco Industry is doing plenty enough via the required anti-smoking commercials/public-service-announcements we all see on the TV.
The States shouldn't have to also pay for, or produce ads, or even institute programs beyond what can be presented in public schools.

...imo

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

from the article linked above
The tobacco industry said money from its $206 billion settlement with the states should be used for its agreed-upon purpose.

"There does seem to be something of a disconnect between how (states) are spending the money and what they said they needed it for," said John Singleton, R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co.'s director of communications.

I tend to agree with this statement on the issue.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Michigan, Missouri, New Hampshire South Carolina, Tennessee and the District of Columbia spend no state funds at all, the report found, while 30 other states fund at less than half of the recommended amount.

There is the entire problem summed up in word in bold located above. It should have been mandated and not just recommended when the verdict was read down.

Once again the states are letting citizens down, by funding over budgeted items on the back of children!

- One Man Short ®

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The bulk of these funds is for the costs to The State of dealing with and treating tobacco related health problems of the citizenry, not anti-smoking campaigns.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Like the states are using the money for the health of people who smoked. I get a big kick out of this whole tobacco issue. It has become a bigger issue than drugs. What I really find amazing is how the States and the Federal Governments are ducking their complicity in tobacco. The Federal Government has paid tobacco farmers a subsidy for years. All of the State governments and the Federal Government have taxed tobacco relentlessly. Last but not least until a few years ago the federal government was the largest wholeseller of tobacco prducts in the world.

new topics

top topics

join