It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: South Africa Discusses AIDS Tax

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
On World Aids Day today South Africa has released official figures of 5.3 million people within the country who are HIV positive and there are calls for an AIDS Tax to fund the control and fight against AIDS. Figures also released show that up to 2 million people are walking around the streets of South Africa unaware that they are HIV positive and a study backed by the Nelson foundation shows that 17 percent of women aged 15 to 24 are positive.

www.abc.net.au

Today, World AIDS Day, has come with a call for an AIDS tax to fund control and prevention in the world's worst affected country.

A new study, which has found that the infection of women and children is increasing dramatically, also estimates that the official figures could underestimate the number of sufferers in South Africa by as much as two million.

Young children are also being increasingly infected due to sexual abuse, but they do not even have to be sick to be hurt. There are now 2.5 million orphans in South Africa.

Much of the money for South Africa's AIDS campaign comes from philanthropy.

"It's looking like a whole generation are losing their parents, and their grandparents are bringing up kids, and I think if we're not involved we're missing one of the major issues in the world at the moment," said Brett South from Qantas.

Eleven per cent of South Africa's 45 million people are now HIV positive, and there is a community perception that more money is needed.

About half of those who tested HIV positive as part of the latest survey did not believe they were at risk.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

2.5 million orphans? Aids and HIV have now reached staggering proportions. The percentages are incredible. 15 years ago this was predicted but then after that as our western societies started practising safe sex proceedures AIDS was almost forgotten. AIDS is turning out to be just the population control disease that WHO advertised for in these third world countries.

On World AIDS Day.. R.I.P. to all the victims and thoughts sent to all those who have suffered the effects of AIDS in one form or another.

[edit on 1-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It's heartbreaking. But even dogs recognize suffering and try to help. What have we lost, and where did it go?

IMO - AIDS is mainly a symptom of a world gone fundamentally out of balance - chemically and biological - and we all are responsible.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The world is overpopulated, which is why AIDS is required ppl know about the risk they know about what precautions are available it is no ones fault except their own and organized religion. More abortion please, legalization of drugs so that those with weak will power will fade away, this world is way overpopulated.
(let me just cut those comedians of you off at the foot and say no thanks I like my life and i contribute more to society than many, i work in the environmentally sustainable construction field)

All i am saying can anyone disagree that this world is overpopulated and better to rid it of the weak than for our planet to fiht back and destroy what we have worked so hard to create. I do agree that the lifestyle choices and WASTE that many in west consume everydya is a big part ofour problem(why i work in the field i do)

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Oh wow... I only hope one day you will be judged as you have just judged these people.

What gives you the right to live instead of these people. What makes your life more worthy than these people?

And we are talking Africa here, where the spread of HIV is through a severe lack of education.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
The world is overpopulated, ...

All i am saying can anyone disagree that this world is overpopulated

Most of the problems blamed on overpopulation result from parasitic, unsustainable industrial practises. Oh yeah, and greed.

and better to rid it of the weak

How do you know that AIDS is not part of an adaptive evolutionary process? And how do you know which particular victim might carry the mutation that saves the whole human species?

...what we have worked so hard to create.

Poison, contamination, pollution, radiation, prions, bacteria-prion-virus hybrids, extinctions. Excellent achievements! Not.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Africa is just the area that is getting the most press as of late, who knows why maybe because it is so impovershed in so other ways or because musicians have taken a liking to helping a continent who has been exploited time and again do to its own peoples ineffectiveness. What will happen when the middle east and India and China start publishing there infection numbers.

Oh and by the way HIV in this area of the world is not a result of not being educated but rather by the miseducation that is being handed out, from their witch doctors saying that by raping a virgin or an infant will cure one from the disease, well see how well that works.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
what about computers or cross planet travel, or how about the means to destroy or deflect an asteroid that in the past would have obliterated our existence faster than any of mans nafarious creations, or what about that progress comes at a cost, for every lethal and sinister creation we as a society have also created things and ideas that allow us to live longer and pursue our dreams.

You both are right that maybe I came off as being crass I do have family members who have died from cancer but I also have 2 family members who have died from a drunk driver. All one can hope is that in death our goodness or lack there of will be exposed and justice will be served.

soficrow Poison, contamination, pollution, radiation, prions, bacteria-prion-virus hybrids, extinctions. Excellent achievements! Not.

yes it is our pollution and consuming in an unsustainable manner that will come back to hurt us all as a species if not properly addressed, on the bacteria-prion-virus hybrids you speak of I have never heard of such things, i will look them up but if you have some credible informative links on it i will much appreciate it.
Apologies to anyone who I offended, i just think that our numbers multiplied by our consuming is not good for anyone or anything except maybe the wealthiest of the wealthy(short term anyway)

top topics

join