It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the dodo's really die out??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
we, of course have been taught that the dodo's have died out and were hunted to extinction by man. However, there are so many unexplored parts of the world, such as the deepest parts of the amazon for example. Surely they coul still survive in some form in these areas. Could it possibly be a mass coverup for the fact thats dodo's we're becoming too large in number and that they were a threat to our lifestyles?

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
wtf dodo birds!

LOL good thread

Ever read The Cloud Garden? They went to the Darien Gap and found Orchids after being kidnaped that were believed once to be extinct.

I hope I am reading that right or I just made an fool of meself ;p
dohdoh

mod edit: censor circumvention.

[edit on 1-12-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The dodo never existed in the amazon tho. They were a species that only existed on a small island, a localized adaptation. They couldn't fly, so they wouldn't've been able to get anywhere else other than that island, Mauritius, in the Indian Ocean.

So definitly not in the amazon. I supposed its possible that some might've drifted onto madagascar and other surrounding islands, but from there to africa, in populations large enough to breed properly, and then also to survive the predators of africa, when they could'nt survive in Mauritius with predators? Not likely.

Also, they were'nt killed off by being hunted by man, tho man was responsible for their destruction.

AMNH site
the primary causes of their extinction were the destruction of the forest (which cut off the Dodo's food supply), and the animals that the sailors brought with them, including cats, rats, and pigs, which destroyed Dodo nests

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Reports of sightings of living dodos in the 1990s on Mauritius prompted William J. Gibbons to mount expeditions to search for them. None were found. That was the only Island they were Native too and a Flightless bird cant exactly Island hop.

link

So I doubt you would find any dodos outside the Island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean. It likely they evolved into a flightless bird on the isolation of that Island. Its ancestors probably flew to the Island and settled their and evolved in a different way.

I would say you could find some of the dodo's relatives in other parts of the world but they wouldnt be dodos

[edit on 1-12-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   
It might be possible, renember, that an animal, went extinct. About 20 years later, it was anounced endangered!

Its still pretty unlikely though, It would be cool if scientists cloned one using technoogy out of JurasicPark (if they can
)

cya

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Interesting topic!

Obviouslly, as advanced as we are, we can't keep an eye on every single living thing in the world. I believe there is a possibility that a few may still exist. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be possible? I don't know much about this kind of thing although i find it quite iinteresting.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeniusSage
I believe there is a possibility that a few may still exist. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be possible?

* it's a tiny island so it's possible to explore the whole thing easily.
* dodos were large birds and hard to miss.
* humans also brought rats to the island (eat eggs and chicks.)
* dodos couldn't fly
* nearest island is 20 miles away in the ocean. Dodos couldn't swim.
* specialized diet (only stuff found on their home island.)

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
All the time they are "rediscovering" critters that they thought had died out. So there is a remote chance that they may still exist. But personally I think they have all died out.
The only thing I've seen that looks like a dodo recently, is the New Caledonian Island of Lifou

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Of course the dodo didn't die out. Many of them can be found right here on ATS!

(talk about your target of opportunity
)

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Did you know that the extinction of the dodo has a direct impact (negative) on a tree of the island called the tambalacoque. I guess the seed of this tree needed the dodo to injest it and then crap it out in order for the sprout to break through it tough shell. This sad news that there are only a small number in the wild, but they are nursing them back to health in nurseries.

www.gi.alaska.edu...

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
OMG! The dodos are taking over the world!! Noooo!!!!

Ahrem..

Has anyone ever seen any pictures of what appears to be dodo's? Personally I believe them to be totally extinct, due to invasive mammals.

top topics

join