It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumsfeld: Don’t call Iraqi enemy ‘insurgents’!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Defense secretary says he had ‘epiphany’ about Semantics of War.

MSNBC

More than 2½ years into the Iraq war, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has decided the enemy are not insurgents.

“This is a group of people who don’t merit the word ‘insurgency,’ I think,” Rumsfeld said Tuesday at a Pentagon news conference. He said the thought had come to him suddenly over the Thanksgiving weekend.

“It was an epiphany.”

“I think that you can have a legitimate insurgency in a country that has popular support and has a cohesiveness and has a legitimate gripe,” he said. “These people don’t have a legitimate gripe.” Still, he acknowledged that his point may not be supported by the standard definition of ‘insurgent.’ He promised to look it up.

Webster’s New World College Dictionary defines the term “insurgent” as “rising up against established authority.”

Even Gen. Peter Pace, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who stood beside Rumsfeld at the news conference, found it impossible to describe the fighting in Iraq without twice using the term “insurgent.”

After the word slipped out the first time, Pace looked sheepishly at Rumsfeld and quipped apologetically, “I have to use the word ‘insurgent’ because I can’t think of a better word right now.”

Without missing a beat, Rumsfeld replied with a wide grin: “Enemies of the legitimate Iraqi government. How’s that?”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Errrr... Okey.

So, they are NOT Insurgents anymore, but the ENEMIES OF THE LEGITIMATE IRAQI GOVERMENT, you hear?

Please, try to use that term from now on!

Thank You!

Seriously - does Rummy receive his "Epiphanies" during these Pentagon Press Conferences, or does GOD Speak to him also.

...and the Deep, Thunderous Voice came from the Heavens and said upon Him: "Donald! Thous Shal Not Use the Word INSURGENT Anymore!"

With a quiet and scary voice Rumsfeld replied: "Yes My Lord. I will find a better word, first thing in the Morning."

[edit on 1/12/05 by Souljah]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 06:08 AM
link   
what a bunch of morons....what else to say

hang 'em high i say, you hear, americans ! Wild west style

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Should we call the president, or guardian and protector of democracy (GPD)?
What about Secretary of Defence? How about Guardian of the People?

And "war on terror"? "War on Fear" would surely be so much better? Yet unfortanately so much of what it is not.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
These are the electronic poll results on this site so far.

Is Donald Rumsfeld right? Is "insurgent" the wrong term for the resistance in Iraq?
7784 responses

Yes: These people don't deserve the term; they have no ideology but hatred
22%
No: The word is precisely correct. The "alternative" he offered is almost the dictionary definition of "insurgent"
47%
Who cares what they're called?
30%

Oh, cmon! People are dieing over there on a daily basis and he is playing word games?

Calling Elvis!
Is anybody home!?

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Lets see

Dictionary.com definition for "insurgent" :

a person who takes part in an armed rebellion against the constituted authority (especially in the hope of improving conditions) [syn: insurrectionist, freedom fighter, rebel] 2: a member of an irregular armed force that fights a stronger force by sabotage and harassment [syn: guerrilla, guerilla, irregular]

I didn't know the secraty of defense can alter the definition of a word...

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   
This is all just Mumbo-Jumbo to Confuze the People even more.

Its not Terrorists - its Insurgents.

Its not Insurgents - its Enemies of the Legitimate Iraqi Goverment (well that will take a long time to say in the news
)

Everybody will pick out their own word - and I don't think we hear the term "Insurgent" on Fox. There's just Terrorists.

And YES - the Sectretary of Defence can do whatever he WANTS! (proved a number of times)

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Uummm.... right. So not insurgents after all? What are we supposed to call them instead, 'naughty people'? Iraqi delinquents? Disgruntled Inhabitants?
That could play havoc with press briefings. Imagine it: "Last night US Forces near Najaf successfully gruntled a party of disgruntled Iraqis. The gruntling procedure was carried out with the minimum use of force practicable with F-16s dropping special re-gruntling munitions."

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkmind
Imagine it: "Last night US Forces near Najaf successfully gruntled a party of disgruntled Iraqis. The gruntling procedure was carried out with the minimum use of force practicable with F-16s dropping special re-gruntling munitions."

That DOES sounds Silly.

Well, lets take Todays News from Iraq and RE-Edit it a little bit:

REUTERS: Enemies of the Legitimate Iraqi Goverment attack in Ramadi

Enemies of the Legitimate Iraqi Goverment launched a brief assault west of Baghdad on Thursday, firing mortar rounds and rockets at a U.S. base and local government buildings, the day after Washington unveiled its new strategy for victory in Iraq.

Residents said gangs of heavily armed men wearing masks or Enemies of the Legitimate Iraqi Goverment attacked a U.S. garrison in the center of Ramadi, a rebellious city 110 km (65 miles) west of Baghdad, and fired on nearby council offices before seizing several streets.

Leaflets were distributed saying that al Qaeda in Iraq, the group led by Jordanian militant Abu Musab al Zarqawi, was taking control. But after a couple of hours, most of the Enemies of the Legitimate Iraqi Goverment dispersed and the city appeared to return to relative calm.

"Reports of insurgents taking control of Ramadi are completely unsubstantiated," Captain Patrick Kerr of the 2nd Marine Division said in an emailed statement.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

CAPTAIN!
Didn't you Hear what the Secretary of Defence Said?
NO More Insurgents!
It's Enemies of the Legitimate Iraqi Goverment Now!

Geeeez!

[edit on 1/12/05 by Souljah]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
They are insurgents and terrorists.
Rumsfield is plain ol' wrong. It may
be time for him to retire.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

"Reports of insurgents taking control of Ramadi are completely unsubstantiated," Captain Patrick Kerr of the 2nd Marine Division said in an emailed statement.

realy ?

i think not...., unless by thier standards Reuters is a baised newsagancy.

snippet from link to reuters:

They've taken control of all the main streets and other sections of Ramadi," a reporter for Reuters there said earlier. "I've seen about 400 armed men controlling streets, some of which were controlled by Americans before."

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   

“It was an epiphany.”

Who said drugs are bad?

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Thanks for the laugh this morning, Souljah! (and SpittinCobra)

These Enemies of The Legitimate Iraqi Government (ETLIGs) sure make this Struggle Against Violent Extremism (SAVE) a difficulty for the Coalition of the Willing (COW)

I feel better about people dying everyday for no reason already! Rumsfeld for President!

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I have to give it to the Bush administration they sure are running of damage control BS to keep the American public approval.

Very sad to still see so many backing up the mess that this administration has become.

But . . . hey we get to laugh too. Right?

Even if my teeth hurt when I do.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Thanks for the laugh this morning, Souljah! (and SpittinCobra)

No Problem. I am Glad to make People Happy and Smile.

These Enemies of The Legitimate Iraqi Government (ETLIGs) sure make this Struggle Against Viole)nt Extremism (SAVE) a difficulty for the Coalition of the Willing (COW)

Now these are some Great abbrevations - I think Pentagon should use them.

I especially the Struggle Against Viole)nt Extremism or SAVE,
and ofcourse the COW's.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Double-speak, plain and simple. If you can control peoples language you can control people. Everyone must listen when the un-holy ghost speaks.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Its almost like instead of killing the enemy we are neutralizing the enemy. Same thing here. Of course I wouldnt be suprise if we called Al Qaida freedom fighers instead of terrorists. Semantics.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Its almost like instead of killing the enemy we are neutralizing the enemy. Same thing here. Of course I wouldnt be suprise if we called Al Qaida freedom fighers instead of terrorists. Semantics.

Yes, Semantics - but Serving WHAT Purpose in this Case?
I mean, does it REALLY matter if the the SOB I mean the SOD got an epifany about the term "Insurgent"? Does he have anything SMARTER to tell us about the Iraqi Disaster, or is that the Peak of his Intelligence and the Best thing outta Pentagon? Besides Spiderman.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Rumsfeld has it right......these scum are not insurgents, they are terrorists.

Imagine if during WW II American news services called the Nazi's fighting our boys "German freedom fighters"

Look up all the headlines in WW II and you will see the Japanese Imperial Forces were called "Japs" and the German's were called "Nazi's or Kruats"
because back then our newspaper editors were patriotic and they loved America.

Now-a-days, these journalism graduates are raised to hate our great country. By calling the enemy "insurgents" they have clearly chosen sides in this war and its not the side of America. They salivate at the thought of our boys coming home in disgrace and defeat....thats how low journalism has sunk.

My Grandpa told me that when he went to the movie-house during the war, there were patriotic films showing our boys fighting the Japanese across the Pacific. Now-a-days were subjected to a parade of girlie TV shows on "The 20"....not one word about our boys at the front.

Its high time these "Jihad-Luvin" journalists get set straight from Rumsfeld....the Scum were fighting are TERRORISTS, not Insurgents.

Maximu§

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Does this mean that the insurgency is over?

Now it's what, a violent nationwide sit-in? Democratic growing pains?

Rumsfeld needs to lay off the sauce, I am thinking.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Main Entry: in·sur·gent
Pronunciation: in-'s&r-j&nt
Function: noun
1 : a person who rises in revolt against civil authority or an established government; especially : one not recognized as a belligerent
2 : one that acts contrary to the established leadership (as of a political party, union, or corporation) or its decisions and policies

versus

ter·ror·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tr-rzm)
n.
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

I think these folks fit "terroists" much more as obviously civilians are also targets. If they exclusively targetted the coaliition military or Iraqi military, then I could buy into the title "Insurgent".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join