It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Belgium Arrests 14 Suspected Terrorists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Belgian authorities arrested fourteen people suspected of being part of a network that sent terrorists to Iraq, including a suicide bomber. Nine of the arrested suspects are Belgian, two are Moroccan, and two are Tunisian. The suicide bomber sent to Iraq was a middle class Belgian woman who converted to radical Islam after marrying a Moroccan man. The woman did successfully detonate herself in Iraq, but she didn't kill anyone else in the attack.

abcnews.go.com
BRUSSELS, Belgium Nov 30, 2005 — Belgium authorities raided homes Wednesday and detained 14 suspects with links to a terrorist network that sent volunteers to Iraq, including a Belgian woman who allegedly carried out a suicide attack in Baghdad.

In Paris, meanwhile, police arrested a 27-year-old Tunisian man suspected of having contacts with the Belgian cell, judicial officials said.

Belgian authorities "want to dismantle this network, which we knew was on our territory and which aimed to send volunteers for the jihad to the battlefield," federal police director Glenn Audenaert told reporters, referring to an Arabic word which among extremists can mean holy war in addition to its definition as the Islamic concept of the struggle to do good.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's shocking that some actual ethnic Europeans are converting to radical Islam and participating in terror attacks. I really think this problem is just in its infancy and Europe will soon be facing a huge problem with jihadis very soon.

[edit on 12/1/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Obviously then it's pointless to just target Arab looking people with 'terror' laws.
Looks like we're all going to have to be criminals now.

I wish i was as lucky as the NWO.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   

It's shocking that some actual ethnic Europeans are converting to radical Islam and participating in terror attacks. I really think this problem is just in its infancy and Europe will soon be facing a huge problem with jihadis very soon.

To me (and i'm Belgian ) this is a clear indication that since the war on terror has started, we've seen nothing else but an increase of terorrism.

Since it's start The war on terrorism makes more terrorrist then it takes care of... this is now a fact.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Why wouldnt you want to join radical islam?
I hear it's a BLAST!

ok, poor taste for jokes, but atleast the bomber only killed herself this time

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by XyZeR
To me (and i'm Belgian ) this is a clear indication that since the war on terror has started, we've seen nothing else but an increase of terorrism.
Since it's start The war on terrorism makes more terrorrist then it takes care of... this is now a fact.

Wars work like generators,
war on drugs causes value of drugs to increase due to risk of being caught thus supply goes down so demand goes up

war on terrorsim causes more terrorists due to rage against the outsiders for killing their brothren

want hisyorical proof?
the american prohabition of alcohol made the maffia rich because of simple supply and demand

As the supply of terrorists goes down (we kill one) the demand for them goes up (more sign up for revenge)

This war is a self-sustaning war
It will never end until everyone is dead on all sides
Want to win the war on terrorism?
2 ways,
1 nuke the planet from space, thus killing everything except cockroaches and mole people
2 unite the world under one leadership, currency, religion and government
these are the the anti-christ, the mark of the beast, and the new world order

www.gotquestions.org...
Question: "What is the battle of Armageddon?"

Answer: Armageddon, which means “mountain of Megiddo,” is a valley which will be the site of the final battle in the end times. Armageddon has become known as the battle in which God will intervene and destroy the armies of the antichrist (Revelation 16:16; 20:1-3, 7-10). The exact location of the valley of Armageddon is debated. The most likely possibility is the valley between Mount Carmel and the city of Jezreel. The valley of Armageddon was famous for two great victories in Israel’s history: (1) Barak’s victory over the Canaanites (Judges 4:15), and (2) Gideon’s victory over the Midianites (Judges chapter 7). Armageddon was also the site for two great tragedies: (1) the death of Saul and his sons (1 Samuel 31:8), and (2) the death of King Josiah (2 Kings 23:29-30; 2 Chronicles 35:22).

Because of this history, the valley of Armageddon became a symbol of the final conflict between God and the forces of evil. The word “Armageddon” only occurs in Revelation 16:16, “Then they gathered the kings together to the place that in Hebrew is called Armageddon.” This speaks of the kings who are loyal to the antichrist gathering together for a final assault on Israel. In the Book of Revelation, at Armageddon "the cup of the wine of the fierceness of God’s wrath" (Revelation 16:19) will be delivered, and the antichrist and his followers will be overthrown and defeated. The word “Armageddon” has become a general term that refers to the end of the world, not exclusively the battle that takes place in the valley of Armageddon.

That is pretty much right where we're fighting now or soon will be.
I try not to be over religious, anyone that reads my posts knows this, but it looks pretty much like they nailed this one 2K years ago.
We are fighting near the prophesised area in a battle that will eventually lead to the end of the earth.
I jump in with the rest of the conspiracy nuts that call 2012 the end based on the mayan long count ending 12-23-2012

May God be with us

[edit on 1-12-2005 by mrjones]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   

But it seems as if Belgium did not act against Muslim Extremism?

In June 2002, Mrs Timmermans, the head of the Sûreté de l'Etat (Belgian secret service) resigned after an official investigation requested by the Belgian Parliament.

She said that the state security service was powerless to do anything about the spread of Islamic fundamentalism.

The investigation followed the murder of the Afghan general Ahmad Shah Massoud, who has been killed by two suicide bombers carrying Belgian passports on 9 September 2001, two days before the 9/11 attacks.

The inquiry of the Belgian parliamentary commission into the Sûreté de l'Etat revealed that it had allowed the Belgian Muslim community – numbering over 350,000 members – to become heavily infiltrated by fundamentalist extremists.

Thirty of Belgium's 300 mosques, the report said, are run by fundamentalist clerics. Candidates for the Jihad are being recruited among Muslims in schools, prisons, hospitals and sports centres.

The report warned that the fundamentalist Muslims are creating a religious state within the Belgian state. (more)

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Then how come they just arrested 14 of them ?
seems pretty contradicting not ?

The link to the report you give on "brusselsjournal.com " is a complete joke , that "newsagency" has less credibility then your average tabloid/gossip magazine.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

The link to the report you give on "brusselsjournal.com " is a complete joke , that "newsagency" has less credibility then your average tabloid/gossip magazine.

I do not at all know how good or bad your newsagencys are, sorry if this one is a 'bad' one.

BUT the article refers to an official investigation requested by the Belgian Parliament in 2001/2002

I am interested to study this report.

Since you are a Belgian: Is it possible for you to provide a source (in english language) to this report? (if this report is not avaliable in english, french language would also be fine with me)

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riwka

What crime would you have them arrested for? Police found no guns, no bombs, no materials for guns nor bombs nor any plans for attacks. Basically, all they have is that the guys wear long beards, are muslim but allegedly (has to be proven yet) know or have known some guys that actually were terrorists.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simon666

What crime would you have them arrested for?

The article says, this report even warned that the fundamentalist Muslims are creating a religious state within the Belgian state - and the head of the Sûreté de l'Etat resigned because the state security service was powerless to do anything about the spread of Islamic fundamentalism....

... if the article is right on the timeframe of this report (Oct 2001 - June 2002, when Mrs Godelieve Timmermans resigned) , this is a problem of the Belgian way to handle Islamic fundamentalism - and NO [XyZeR:] " indication that since the war on terror has started, we've seen nothing else but an increase of terorrism."

[edit on 1-12-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   

this is a problem of the Belgian way to handle Islamic fundamentalism

Repeat: what crime would you have them arrested for? You keep talking about the flawed Belgian way like you'd do it much better. So enlighten us, how would your (American?) way be better at handling them?

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

This has been a fact for a long time, as mrjones points out, perhaps now more people will realize it.

So really then, it could be called a War FOR Terrorism or Struggle FOR Violent Extremism... We're not spreading, but wiping out democracy and freedom... The USA is a nation that supports and encourages terrorism with its actions. I know it sounds extreme, but look at the data.

And no amount of semantic games will change the truth of it.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Excellent post, mrjones! You got my first Way Above of the month!

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Why is that shocking? Are you trying to say that extremism is limited only to arabs or "brown skinned" people?

Originally posted by mrjones
Wars work like generators,
war on drugs causes value of drugs to increase due to risk of being caught thus supply goes down so demand goes up

war on terrorsim causes more terrorists due to rage against the outsiders for killing their brothren

want hisyorical proof?
the american prohabition of alcohol made the maffia rich because of simple supply and demand

As the supply of terrorists goes down (we kill one) the demand for them goes up (more sign up for revenge)

I agree, the war on drugs and the war on terror are both self perpetuating. Both have no end in site, and both problems have gotten worse as a result of us "declaring war" on them.

This war is a self-sustaning war
It will never end until everyone is dead on all sides
Want to win the war on terrorism?
2 ways,
1 nuke the planet from space, thus killing everything except cockroaches and mole people
2 unite the world under one leadership, currency, religion and government
these are the the anti-christ, the mark of the beast, and the new world order

Or 3: stop unconditionally supporting Israel (like stop vetoing every single resolution passed against it in the U.N.), stop invading foreign countries without provokation and setting up puppet governments favorable to the U. S., and take an isolationist stance except in the case of one country invading another of you know, something that might actually justify a war?

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   

this is a problem of the Belgian way to handle Islamic fundamentalism

Repeat: what crime would you have them arrested for?

Why should someone be arrested?

Again, I am interested in that report. The period of this investigation goes back to the time before the war has been started, therefore the argument "war on terrorism makes more terrorrist" is baseless.

Thirty of Belgium's 300 mosques, the report said, are run by fundamentalist clerics. Candidates for the Jihad are being recruited among Muslims in schools, prisons, hospitals and sports centres.

• why not close radical mosques?

• why not sent foreign fundamentalist clerics back home if they declare that they are not committed to democracy?

an official investigation requested by the Belgian Parliament concluded that the Sûreté had adopted a passive attitude towards Muslim extremists because it had found no indications that the terrorists would attack Belgian targets.

If that is true, it speaks for itself.
    As long as Muslim extremists only target the innocent citizens in London, Madrid or Iraq it is ok?

• posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:39 AM
    link   

Originally posted by ShakyaHeir

Why is that shocking?

Isn't the proof shocking that here it is Islamic fundamentalism from outside Iraq?

And they are fighting against freedom, against a democratic secular Iraq....

....and not "Iraqi people fighting against 'evil U.S. occupation'"?

Who is the enemy of this Belgian lady?

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 11:25 AM
    link   

why not close radical mosques?

That's something the UK does (Finsbury park). The US can't do that, so stop bashing Belgium.

why not sent foreign fundamentalist clerics back home if they declare that they are not committed to democracy?

That's something France does. Neither the UK nor US (can) do that. So once again, it doesn't seem like your way is much better than the Belgian way.

an official investigation requested by the Belgian Parliament concluded that the Sûreté had adopted a passive attitude towards Muslim extremists because it had found no indications that the terrorists would attack Belgian targets.

I'm Belgian and am not aware of such conclusions. Btw, as far as I understand it, the woman and the other people were already under surveillance so it seems like they can follow threats, just not that good.

www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2005/12/01/wterr01.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/12/01/ixworld.html
    All those arrested were said by officials to be closely connected to the woman, a former drug addict and divorcee from the run-down French-speaking city of Charleroi. The network had been under surveillance for four months after Belgium received intelligence about a suspected terror cell, but the country's small and overstretched security services failed to detect the woman leaving the country, officials admitted. Glenn Audernaert, a senior police official, said: "It was through this organisation that the lady went to Iraq with her husband, but we only knew about her presence … once she was already there."

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 11:40 AM
    link   
    I Wonder?

If there are 300.000 stolen passes/ ID cards each year in Belgium...

Immigrants, I call them Immigrants. Hardly a Belgian...

They live here with 25 in one appartment, living from social welfare...

And I'm paying Taxes.... grrrr.... They deserve a welfare bullet.

What ever, don't think we don't do our part!
    It's hard to get to them if they are living in relative peace with us.

If you haven't already noticed, I'm Belgium, I'm proud on it.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 12:04 PM
    link   

The US can't do that, so stop bashing Belgium.
    Neither the UK nor US (can) do that. So once again, it doesn't seem like your way is much better than the Belgian way.

I do not understand why you compare to US or UK here?

I'm Belgian and am not aware of such conclusions.

That's why I would like to read the report.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 12:58 PM
    link   
    It's been disclosed that Belgian officials are quite upset with France because they disclosed the Belgian suicide bomber's identity before arrests were made, something that could have tipped off the suspects:

International Herald Tribune

PARIS - In a dispute that security officials say illustrates the difficulties of creating a united European front against terrorism, Belgian officials on Friday accused France of endangering an anti-terror operation by disclosing that a suicide bomber in Iraq was a Belgian woman.

The Belgian authorities said French anti-terrorism officials had nearly foiled a lengthy investigation into an Al Qaeda terrorism network operating in Brussels by revealing the identity of Muriel Degauque - a former baker's assistant turned Islamic suicide bomber - before Belgian anti-terrorist police officers closed in on her cell.
    A Belgian official close to the case, who declined to give his name because of the diplomatic sensitivities of the dispute, said, "How can we trust French officials when they have loose lips?"

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Pretty bad...thankfully the leak apparently didn't harm the case.

top topics

join