It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Website Restrictions outside USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I just noticed something interesting while trying to look up information regarding the new television show by Penn and Teller (The Magicians). This show basically trys to debunk anything and everything related to the paranormal. (ESP, Astral Projection, Remote Viewing)

Anyways the show reaks of propaganda and the title of the show clearly signifies what I think of the show itself. The shows' title, if you didn't know is "Bull#."

Anyways the point of this thread points to the fact that if you try and access showtimes website from anywhere other then the USA you get a screen saying:

sorry
We at Showtime Online express our apologies; however, these pages are intended for access only from within the United States.

Thoughts? Comments?

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
It's likely that Showtime doesn't want people who can't be customers (e.g. Canadians) using up its bandwidth, and so re-directs anyone comming from an outside ISP to that page. Either that or it hasn't secured broadcast rights outside the US.

[edit on 30-11-2005 by andpau66]

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I was aware of this after my assistant Mr. Beezer rang me on the tele this forenoon.

I think it is a case of fooling America with one tale, and pass another tale on to the rest of the world, however this tale has not yet been fabricated.

Hence, the redirect screen.

Next we see shows readying us for an alien invasion, but only in the USA.

- One Man Short ®

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
During the election in 2004 I think it was George W Bush's website that blocked foreign visitors.

Also, on yahoo launch, some videos are available only in the US and will not play for foreigners.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Someone posted a link to a British site that didn't allow non-UK users to view the content...I guess they just don't want to pay for bandwidth for people who can't possibly be customers for them or their advertisers.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Someone posted a link to a British site that didn't allow non-UK users to view the content...I guess they just don't want to pay for bandwidth for people who can't possibly be customers for them or their advertisers.

That would make sense. But if you think about it I doubt that the owners of Showtime (Viacom) can't provide enough bandwidth for people who wish to view their webpage from a foreign country as far away as Canada. If so that would give new meaning to the word cheap.

www.viacom.com...

Viacom 3rd Quarter 2005 Revenues up 10% to 5.9 BILLION

new topics

top topics

join