It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

54 train accidents since September???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by howmuchisthedoggy
Here in Japan, the rail system goes through regular maintenance. A special train car travels the length of the line while each rail is checked for width, etc.

Why?

Living in a geo-active country, the ground moves a lot. So the rails need to be checked to see have they moved or not. If they don't, the trains could easily de-rail.

So, living in countries that are not as geo-active, one wouldn't check the rails that much, right? So if the ground moved you wouldn't notice until a train de-railed. Add to that the amount of water mains, gas mains, etc. which have been ruptured, it only adds up to one thing.

Areas that were previously geo-stable have become more active. The ground is moving more than it has in the past, and the powers that be wish to keep it covered up. We can only speculate why.

Maybe I'm off base here, but I'm pretty sure our rail systems dwarfs Japan's. Our country is also very "geo-active", if that is a word.

I'd like to know what the normal rate of train derailments is every year.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
There was a train accident on thanksgiving a block away from my house. the train spilled dangerous gas, and some home had to be evacuated. did you know that for some trains to stop they have to apply the brakes a mile before impact.
love abydos

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
Maybe I'm off base here, but I'm pretty sure our rail systems dwarfs Japan's.

I never said anything otherwise. Relax, no one is questioning the size of your railroad. Yes, I would guess the US rail network is gigantic in comparison and that this would lead to maintenance being difficult to do regularly. Japan has a very large network however, which at least qualifies it a mention.

Our country is also very "geo-active", if that is a word.

Well, if you must be pedantic about it, I thought it was easier to write than "geologically-active" and since it seems you understood what was meant, no harm, no foul I suppose. lol.

I'd like to know what the normal rate of train derailments is every year.

In Japan, very few it would seem. I remember about 4/5 train derailments in the last 12 months compared to close to zero for the previous years. I thought this thread was referring to the increased number of derailments worldwide and I am not sure how we got on to terrorists and the US rail system. A bit of a distraction tactic maybe?

Worldwide, train derailments are up it seems. I don't think the terrorists can be blamed for this one this time.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
The Japanese have Dr. Yellow.

But we Americans have The Acela.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join