It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi 2nd Army Brigade Ready to Take Over Babil Province

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

HILLAH, Iraq, Nov. 30, 2005 – The 2nd Iraqi Army Brigade here successfully completed its certification process Nov. 29, military officials reported.
From Nov. 24 to 27, military instructors from Multinational Division Central South tested the combat readiness of 2nd Brigade headquarters and sub-units.

The exam confirmed that the brigade is ready to plan and conduct military activities independently, officials said, opening the way for coalition forces to hand over security responsibility in Iraq's Babil province to Iraqi army units.

From now on, 2nd Brigade will plan and conduct independent operations within its area of responsibility, officials said. Multinational division support will be given only in emergencies by a quick-reaction force, medical evacuation or air support. Multinational division military advisers and trainers will still monitor 2nd Brigade activities, officials said.

source

More progress, this will inevitably lead to more Coalition forces and more American forces coming home! Good news, hope this keeps on happening, I think Iraq could function on its own by in 2008 at the latest.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
YEAH!

Just another victory for Iraq. The ISF and coalition continue to route the insurgents and bring peace to Iraq.

Great news indeed.

VIVA IRAQ!

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Hmmmm, it depends what you mean by function. I have an interest in this subject as it is the only way we are going to get out of Iraq anytime soon.

I have heard mixed reviews of the Iraqi forces and for me it is difficult to get an accurate picture of what they can do. I don't doubt the ability of the average Iraqi to fight, they are not cowards. What I do doubt and this is the problem with all arab armies past and present (in recent times) is the lack of a competant and inspiring officer class. It will be down to the officers. Still I am optomistic for several reasons

- The Peshmerga and other Kurdish forces form a large part of the Northern part of the army and these people are hard as nails (they gave Sadams army a bloody nose many many times gained de facto independance). Good comabt troops. Have more to gain from the new government then they have to loose.
- Shia's in the south are tricky. There is a big problem with Militias and the Iranians. True the new government is Shia and they have a lot to gain from it, but they are also very devout or at least there is a hardcore group who want strict Shia Islamic rule so the loyalty of units here could be placed in question. Nevertheless, if the new Government can deliver prosperity then the power of the Clerics should fade.
-Finaly the Sunnis. The only way I can see of incorporating these guys into the army is via the officer class that exists here in this part of Iraq from Sadam. Many of these guys are trained professionals and have nothing to gain from the new government unless incentives are given. Otherwise the only alternative is a campaign of repression and detention and that isn't going to win anyone over.

A tricky situation, even so Iraq is doing one good thing. Its a meat grinder for Islamic Extremists. They throw themselves against the Americans/British and when they do they loose every time. Hence the IEDs. We are also refining our tactics and adapting to everything the Insurgents throw at us. Sooner rather than later, they are going to run out of options and the clock is ticking. Iraqis go to the polls soon which will give the new governemt added legitemacy.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Great!!!!!

Little by little the Iraqi army will take over and our troops will be able to come home.

This is very good news.

-Reason

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It is good news, what most civilians don't understand is its easy to train up the non-commisioned soldiers (sergeants/privates), but it takes time to grow the officer corps.

It takes the US Army about 20 years to produce an effective Colonel and even more for a General.

The Iraqi military forces have made great progress in a very short time.....yet the babies keep crying "whats taking so long"????

As if they were watching an episode of West Wing and everything gets wrapped up in an hour.

This is good news.

Maximu§

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus
It is good news, what most civilians don't understand is its easy to train up the non-commisioned soldiers (sergeants/privates), but it takes time to grow the officer corps.

It takes the US Army about 20 years to produce an effective Colonel and even more for a General.

The Iraqi military forces have made great progress in a very short time.....yet the babies keep crying "whats taking so long"????

Maximu§

I agree with you that the officer training is the key. I would be interested, do you have specific figures, background info that gives a clear picture of what the Iraqi forces are capable of as I have been unable to find any.

There is a ready made officer class in Iraq as we speak but most of them are Bathists. Do you think it they should be incorporated back in the Army as a quick fix or a new class built from scratch? Indeed, was it wise to disband the army in the first place? Just interested in your opinion.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by enslaved83

I agree with you that the officer training is the key. I would be interested, do you have specific figures, background info that gives a clear picture of what the Iraqi forces are capable of as I have been unable to find any.

There is a ready made officer class in Iraq as we speak but most of them are Bathists. Do you think it they should be incorporated back in the Army as a quick fix or a new class built from scratch? Indeed, was it wise to disband the army in the first place? Just interested in your opinion.

I have no specific figures, Im just an old soldier who knows what makes an Army tick. The officer Corps is the backbone of any organized Army and their not grown overnight. It takes time.

The former officers in Saddams Army were really nothing but Thugs and murderers. These kind of people have no place in the new Iraqi forces......what America is doing is starting from a clean slate.

Its a miracle they have come so far so fast.....remember everyone is useing US forces as a benchmark for Iraqi unit comparasons and our units are the best in the world....bar none.

As far as dis-banding Iraqi forces...it had to be done. Theres no way the Shiites and Kurds would accept the former Army as it was...it had too much blood on their hands.

Hey, its nice to talk with someone who is not insulting me.

Maximu§

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Im sure the bulk of the new Iraqi army is loyal to there country sadly it only takes one traitor to undermine the majority of loyal soliders. My concern is that a number of political leaders are more interested in turning out sheer numbers of soliders rather then a elite force that will defeat the insurgents.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   

More progress, this will inevitably lead to more Coalition forces and more American forces coming home!

Nah. You've still got unfinished business, Syria and Iran , and Condi said the troops would remain in Iraq till at least 2016 anyway.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I have no specific figures, Im just an old soldier who knows what makes an Army tick. The officer Corps is the backbone of any organized Army and their not grown overnight. It takes time.

The former officers in Saddams Army were really nothing but Thugs and murderers. These kind of people have no place in the new Iraqi forces......what America is doing is starting from a clean slate.

Its a miracle they have come so far so fast.....remember everyone is useing US forces as a benchmark for Iraqi unit comparasons and our units are the best in the world....bar none.

As far as dis-banding Iraqi forces...it had to be done. Theres no way the Shiites and Kurds would accept the former Army as it was...it had too much blood on their hands.

Hey, its nice to talk with someone who is not insulting me.

Maximu§

Hey its not a problem mate, I believe that all conversations on this site should be civil! Im all for heated debates and hate it when people resort to slagging because they are not articulate enough to back up their statments will well constructed arguments and quite often I like to hear why people have differing opinions to mine. Im the first to admit Im not always right!

Anyways back on topic......

Prehaps they could have kept the old army but disbanded the republican guard units as these were the most loyal/hardcore ( I say that lightly, the US/UK wiped the floor with them every time). The point about the officer corps is very valid indeed. I doubt they even deserve the title of officers.

If they had kept the conscripted army and used volunteers to get the best from that I feel we could be in a beter position today. Still when you look at Iraq the South and the North are rather stable, now if only for the center.......

new topics

top topics

join