It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenager Repellent! (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   
A British man has invented a sonic device aimed at repelling teenagers. The device "The Mosquito" emitts a high pitched sound that only young people can hear and it annoys the heck out of them.

www.nytimes.com
The device, called the Mosquito ("It's small and annoying," Mr. Stapleton said), emits a high-frequency pulsing sound that, he says, can be heard by most people younger than 20 and almost no one older than 30. The sound is designed to so irritate young people that after several minutes, they cannot stand it and go away.

So far, the Mosquito has been road-tested in only one place, at the entrance to the Spar convenience store in this town in South Wales. Like birds perched on telephone wires, surly teenagers used to plant themselves on the railings just outside the door, smoking, drinking, shouting rude words at customers and making regular disruptive forays inside.

Mr. Gough (pronounced GUFF) planned to install a sound system that would blast classical music into the parking lot, another method known to horrify hang-out youths into dispersing, but never got around to it. But last month, Mr. Stapleton gave him a Mosquito for a free trial. The results were almost instantaneous. It was as if someone had used anti-teenager spray around the entrance, the way you might spray your sofas to keep pets off. Where disaffected youths used to congregate, now there is no one.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is just too priceless! "the way you might spray your sofas to keep pets off." I especially loved the one about the "zit lamps". Everyone you must read the entire article it will make your day! (at least it made mine)

I realize that teenagers need a place to hang out and discuss how stupid thier parents are but, there's nothing more annoying than having a bunch of them loitering in front of a store.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Sorry, can't read the article because it's a subscription service. Does it say when we can get this for home use?

I'm thinking a zit lamp in the bathroom and the buzzing thing for the TV... I can dream right?

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Works just fine for me.
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   
sounds suspicious to me - very wonky " science ", in any case the teenaged scroats around my area would smash the crap out of the entire place once they figured out what was happening

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
"The results were almost instantaneous. It was as if someone had used anti-teenager spray around the entrance, the way you might spray your sofas to keep pets off. Where disaffected youths used to congregate, now there is no one."

Guys, it's a fake.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Who needs it? There has been an effective teenager repellant around for years. It is totally free, easy to use and causes no unplesent side effects. It is called "a job". My mother used to manage a pizza shop in the local mall and had a problem with a group of teenagers coming in and buying just a soda and taking all of her booths up for hours on end. Her company wouldn't back her on having them removed by security since they were "paying customers". Her nephew, a high school math teacher told her to "offer them a job". Every time a group of them came in and took up space, she would walk over with an application and ask since they spent so much time here how about working here? Took about a week for word to get around and for them to clear out.

I have a teenage nephew who lives down the street from me and every time I am working on my car, he shows up with 3 or 4 friends and they stand around watching me. All I have to do is to start asking them to hand me tools or help out in any way and pretty soon I am talking to myself.

Who needs some gadget when it is this easy?

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Perhaps they should try this:

Music to deter yobs by

Would work a treat around here!

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea and I want one for my car and my apartment. Those knuckleheads with the "boom cars" think they're so cool. High frequency sound, while highly directional, has the capacity to pierce through nearly all else.

[edit on 2005/11/30 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The mosquito would probably only work on kids who haven't heard too much loud music--the main reason that older people can't hear it is because their hearing in the frequency is damaged. Oh and it might bother people with hearing aids as well. Could it be senior repellent too?

apc

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
It's definitely not fake. I recall as a youth that I could often hear frequencies my parents could not. Most often I would hear a high pitched whine from computer monitors that were not receiving a signal (pre-powersave... you know... greenscreens), as in the monitor was on and the computer was off. *WHEEEEEEEEEEEE*

As said above, it's hearing damage (normal wear and tear with time) that allows more aged people to not hear the sounds. One of these frequencies, or rather a series of them to form a nice shrill harmonic, at a high amplitude, would definitely cause those "cool kids" to scatter.

I think every McDonalds should have one in their parking lot. Around here, that seems to be the place for spoiled loser brats to congregate.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Oh, i see, so now we're not wanted, nothing more than pests to you!

Well I have news for you, we are your future!!!!!!!!!!!
haha, and there's nothing you can do about it

Seriously, that was hurtful.

IMHO it's completely outrageous, though, knowing my peers, i can see where that would be quite a useful device.

--Kit.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Awwww now now it's not ALL teenagers we don't like, it's the troublemakers and this thing would work a treat for small business owners (convinience and liqour stores etc...) to ward off the thieves!

This is wonderful!!, I just want one for recreational use
to use when I walk through the mall and such. I can't stand most (operative word here being 'most') teenagers today. I am only 26 and we never acted so dumb nor were the girls so whorish and boys so annoying as now only a few years ago.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I am taking some serious offense to this thread I am only 16
lol I am just messing with ya, personally I don't really care about the loitering and stuff I do year round swimming so I am one of those few good teens who stay out of trouble you "old folk" talk about
I actually voted yes for this cause it made me laught that someone would actually think of something like this even if it doesn't work its a fun idea.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Now if I were a smart business man I would figure out a device that would jam the "Teen Repellor" and sell it to teens. Get a little electronic war going here. Then I'd partner up with the guy making the "repellor" and he would make an upgrade to his device and a few weeks later I'd make an upgrade to my jammer and so on and so on. Sort of like what the computer hardware and software people do to us

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I would be even two steps ahead of that and make one that attack adults
So has anyone debunked this one yet?

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Kids already have adult repellents. They're called obscene clothes, loud music, especially bass, profanity, aggression and a large dose of stupidity.

[edit on 2005/12/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
It is too accurate to be debunked. The device is called the Mosquito and its inventor is now doing the talk show circuit. CNN, CBS and Fox all have mentioned it.

apc

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I still say there's just nothing to debunk. Set your computer to generate a specific frequency, and start raising it. Chances are, if you've been around for a few decades, you'll stop hearing the tone around 16,000hz. Then bring in a teenager (leave a trail of stickers or poptarts leading into the room) and do the same thing. They will probably stop hearing the tone around 18-20,000hz. If they've been rather humble with their music listening habits, they may even perceive higher frequencies.

Generate one of these frequencies at an extremely high amplitude (a compact piezoelectric buzzer pushing 24volts should do it) and you've got yourself one annoying sound that you (again, if you fit into the implied catagory) probably can't hear... but your kids can. Very well. Painfully well. Toss in a few additional frequencies in bands that are particularly antagonising, and you've got this little gadget.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I suppose that by your reasoning that I would be more resistant to this device than other adults, because I listen to music too much. Yes I know its bad for me, yes I try to cut down. Anyways my ears would probably be immuned to it, but I am sure that if someone played like the Rolling Stones or Aerosmith at about 1 watt worth of speaker power I would leave the room intsinctually.

apc

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Yes I know its bad for me, yes I try to cut down.

Well... listening to music too much isn't bad for you. Listening to music at high volume is. I can personally testify to this fact.

I have tinninitus in my right ear. It is a condition of permanent damage to the inner ear. After a concert over a year ago, I was naturally a little dull of hearing. Both my ears rang for a couple days. But my right ear, the side facing the speakers, rang very loudly for several weeks. To this day, I can still hear a quiet ringing in my right ear. I now have mild hearing loss ("What?" and "Say that again..." are routine daily terms I use), and I'm only 23. I'll sometimes even get pain in my right ear for no reason.

Tinninitus comes on rapidly after exposure to high decibel sound. It is permanent. It will never get better. It sucks. A lot.

I think if I did the test I described in my previous post, I would probably cutoff around 14khz. Maybe I'll have to give it a try and see.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join