It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 Christian Peace Team members kidnapped in Iraq. (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Two Canadians, one Briton and an American were kidnapped and held hostage in Iraq today. The group was there on a peacekeeping mission when a group of insurgents from the Swords of Righteousness Brigade held them up at gunpoint. The terrorist group accused the four peacekeepers of spying and publically claimed responsibility of the kidnapping on Al-Jazeera.

cnews.canoe.ca
Four hostages, including two Canadians, seen in al-Jazeera video footage Tuesday are members of a pacifist group who were in Iraq as peacemakers, a spokesman for Christian Peacemaker Teams confirmed Tuesday.

On Tuesday, broadcaster Al-Jazeera showed footage taken by a group calling itself the Swords of Righteousness Brigade, which said the four were spies working undercover as Christian peace activists.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have nothing to say except that this is ridiculous and cowardly. I mean, these people are peacekeepers! What do you do in this situation? How can our presidents and prime ministers just sit there and tell me its a top priority to keep their citizens safe and then proclaim they can't negotiate with terrorists.

On the other hand, what do you do if your government warns you prehand and claimes no liability if held hostage? You can't just say I told you so, can you? I certainly don't think so.

Today on a couple of talk radio shows, in Toronto, I heard callers suggesting we, as a country should deny these people help because negotiating with terrorists is to submit to their requests.

Is it morally right to compromise a group of innocent people's lives?

Related News Links:
www.thestar.com
[url=http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051127/iraq_humanitarianworkers_abducted_20051127/20051127?hub=TopStories]www.ctv.ca[/url ]

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Hmmmm. Christian Peacekeeper Teams.

Ya know, I feel like we are over there to assure that the Iraqi people have the right to decide how they want to be governed, and to secure the oil, of course. I think that for the Iraqi people in general, this will have been a good thing in the long run.

However, I do not support anyone trying to spread more religious dogmatic BS like Christianity to a place that already has plenty of religious dogmatic BS at the root of most of it's problems. If one violent hypocritical religion has screwed them up this bad, they certainly don't need another one.

If, dispite the obvious risks, these folks were actively trying to propigate their Christian religion, then I can't muster up much sympathy for them.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
They deserve to die for talking about their god??

Also, why is 'Christian Peace Team' worse sounding than the "Swords of Righteousness Brigade'?

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I didn't say they deserved to die, just that if they were over there trying to push the usual self-rightous christian dogma/pre-indoctrination, they may have brought this on themselves.

[edit added] Oh, and I don't think "Christian Peace Team" sounds worse than "Swords Of Rightousness Brigade". In fact I think, propaganda wise, they are similar. Both are examples of spin designed to instill an emotion for purposes of controling others. Brainwashing is brainwashing, no matter who does it. [edit end]

[edit on 30-11-2005 by Ambient Sound]

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Are you sure they were there to spread the word of Jesus? They may be missionaries. But then again they may well be just as their name implies Peace Activists. I highly doubt they were preaching to Moslems in a mosque, that is just asking for trouble. Anyways Missionaries usually like to spread there word along with lifesaving medicine as those type of desperate people are more likely to be vulnerable to their biblical based propaganda.

[edit on 30-11-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I don't know what they were there for, really. However, to label your organisation "Christian" anything in that part of the world is asking for confrontation.

Maybe these folks were trusting in their Lord to keep them safe...

... and if so, it seems to have worked as well as that stratagy ever does.

join