It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What sort of Frenchmen are they?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The man being interviewed in this Haaretz article below was actually sued under French anti-racism laws for what was deemed racist remarks contained in the article but they dropped the suit after he apologized.

What sort of Frenchmen are they?

It's a shame you can't speak your mind in Europe anymore.

When you are unable to address a problem honestly because of laws that prevent you from mentioning that the problem exists, how does it ever get solved?

[edit on 29-11-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
OMG! Did I just hear Thomas Pain doing back flips in his grave and Britney Spears winning a grammy for "Toxic"!
WTF! I know it's WRONG. Period.

Like you shouldn't ever have to deal with something like that over a a thing like that. And now they can put you in jail for it!!!

I thought after the American and French Revolution the freedom of speech of any kind wasn't to be touched. Just because you may not like South Park or the BSB(Backstreet Boys) is no reason to be thrown into jail or sued, etc. if you comment on it. The same is true for goverments. If you don't like how your goverment is at home, say something at home. If your abroad, I suggest you follow Ben Franklin's advice and stay mum on those kind of subjects in conversation.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbfan1
If you don't like how your goverment is at home, say something at home. If your abroad, I suggest you follow Ben Franklin's advice and stay mum on those kind of subjects in conversation.

It's the opposite to that in France now.
They can only talk about certain subjects when they are outside of their country because they'll be sued or fined for saying them in France.

The French are not alone either.

A couple of ministers in Australia were charged with spreading racial hate a couple of years ago.

guardian

An Australian court ruled today that a fundamentalist Christian ministry had vilified Muslims in a test case that could have repercussions for a proposed British law on incitement to religious hatred.

A court in the southern state of Victoria found that Catch the Fire Ministries and its pastors, Danny Nalliah and Daniel Scot, had fallen foul of Victoria's 2001 Religious and Racial Tolerance Act. The Islamic Council of Victoria (ICV) brought the case following a March 2002 church seminar in Melbourne, during which Mr Scot characterised Muslims as liars and demons and claimed that the Qu'ran promoted violence, killing and looting.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

If you don't like how your goverment is at home, say something at home. If your abroad, I suggest you follow Ben Franklin's advice and stay mum on those kind of subjects in conversation.

It's the opposite to that in France now.
They can only talk about certain subjects when they are outside of their country because they'll be sued or fined for saying them in France.

The French are not alone either.

A couple of ministers in Australia were charged with spreading racial hate a couple of years ago.

guardian

An Australian court ruled today that a fundamentalist Christian ministry had vilified Muslims in a test case that could have repercussions for a proposed British law on incitement to religious hatred.

A court in the southern state of Victoria found that Catch the Fire Ministries and its pastors, Danny Nalliah and Daniel Scot, had fallen foul of Victoria's 2001 Religious and Racial Tolerance Act. The Islamic Council of Victoria (ICV) brought the case following a March 2002 church seminar in Melbourne, during which Mr Scot characterised Muslims as liars and demons and claimed that the Qu'ran promoted violence, killing and looting.

That's sad, it's still wrong. I'm worried that that might happen here in the states someday soon, do you think it will? Or do you think we have a "small window" of time?

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   

That's sad, it's still wrong. I'm worried that that might happen here in the states someday soon, do you think it will? Or do you think we have a "small window" of time?

It's not as likely to happen in the US as it would be in many other countries but I didn't think it would happen in Australia either so I can't really say for sure.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I think it would, because of how they teach things in public schools these days, it(what ever certain subject could cause rebellion, hence why they can't talk about this and that in public.) would eventually either become treated like George W. Bush(humor), UFOs(labeling of people regaurdless), or like how the french are handling it to not cause rebellion or the downfall of the goverment for economic or whatever reason. Why else would the French or Austrila need to censor people's disscussions in public?

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This is happening to people in smaller nations because they must be controlled. This is the very nature of politics. This is not about the people per se. It is about protecting the Governments or politics..the political machine. Sometimes it boils down to getting ahold of new voters and bringing them in to the machine to solidify ones positon. Think carefully about what this means.
You can tell this about the French becaues they let this run wild to destroy peoples property nation wide....this is the first step in making people expendable and disposable for a larger more important reason. It doesnt matter how much risk and sacrafice these people took to get this property. Eventually it boils down to their lives will be disposable for the politics. This is not the end of this in France.

Yes, this type of thinking is coming here to America. It is happening already on our Colleges and public schools. These are cloistered protected envlaves of this type of thinking with heavy input to the political machine since these places are heavily funded by the politics itself. WE are destined by the very machine which is politics to follow the European model. Most peoples have no idea what the European political machine actually is. Just keep watching events unfold.

Thanks,
Orangetom

top topics

join