It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A world without US supremacy is unthinkable

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by aria
Countries like Iran, Britain, Australia, The Netherlands, Israel, Northern Korea etc... don't have the possibility to relocate its troops or even fight at different fronts.

Mate we've doing that for over 200+ years, and we're still doing it today!

I don't see Britain fighting against Islamic Republic in the Middle-East, againts N.Korea In the East and somewhere in Afriqa on their own at the same time! Unless they get help from the rest of the EU or the world.

Ummm please tell me where were you during the iraq war?
Didnt you notice those strange men with strange guns , accents, flagy things and thier kick ass songs?

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGrude

Originally posted by devilwasp
Just asking, why are we not a power?

Because now the sun does set on the British Empire. They once were very powerful. They arguably had the best navy in the world for centuries, but they seem to have lost it all once the colonies began seeking independence.

[edit on 2005/11/29 by McGrude]
We do have the best navy on the water....mabye not the biggest but it is the best...atleast in our eyes.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
The Brits have power, its just a second rate power.
Not the type of power that would certainly earn respect or attention as America's.

Ok redn- I mean american
, just answer me a question? Why do american seem to think that this badge ; Royal marines
SC
Means swimmer canoiest?
And are willing to sell rifles for the jackets with those on them? lol

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The UK ratio of military power to size is just amazing. Its able to project power and influence much better then some Nations that are far bigger.

It might not be what people consider a Super Power now But I have to put it firmly in the Global Military power Category. Its nuclear arsenal alone is enough to put a big time hurt on even the biggest strongest nations.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Worry about protecting your own eroding freedoms rather than exporting McDemocracy to other countries.

Worry about your government doing things that are HIDDEN from your view. You, the voting public.

Worry about making your country a better place to live in for ALL your citizens, no matter what their color, religion, or sexual orientation, before you go "fixing" things.

Worry about making your own country more liberal and understanding before you start freaking on people for their own cultural peculiarities. (WHAT!? Women have to wear burqas? How barbaric! OMG was that just Janet Jackson's boob! AAAAAAH! How outrageous! How terrible for my eyes! Complain! Complain!)

The U.S.' help NEVER comes without a price, most people do not want to pay it. (See World Bank and IMF)

[edit on 29-11-2005 by Jakomo]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I dont see why people say stuff about the british military. They have some of the most highly trained and disciplined special forces in the world. They just dont go around boasting their power everywhere. And for anyone thinking im a brit throwing around crap I'm an american.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Worry about protecting your own eroding freedoms rather than exporting McDemocracy to other countries.

Well seeing as I live in the US I have to ask. Where are these eroding freedoms that everyone outside the US seems to be complaining about?

[edit on 29-11-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The United States is currently the world's hegemony. It's military spending is equal to the next 17 countries' military spending combined. Also, it's economy still dominates the world. You could see the American Empire as a good thing because it does keep other states in check via a balance of power.

If economic growth continues at its current rates than China will surpass the USA in 2020, India will pass the USA in 2050 and Russia will pass the USA in 2100.

Economic might is much more important than military might because if your economy is strong than you can build a stronger military.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by aria
Countries like Iran, Britain, Australia, The Netherlands, Israel, Northern Korea etc... don't have the possibility to relocate its troops or even fight at different fronts.

Mate we've doing that for over 200+ years, and we're still doing it today!

I don't see Britain fighting against Islamic Republic in the Middle-East, againts N.Korea In the East and somewhere in Afriqa on their own at the same time! Unless they get help from the rest of the EU or the world.

Ummm please tell me where were you during the iraq war?
Didnt you notice those strange men with strange guns , accents, flagy things and thier kick ass songs?

Mate, for almost 200 years the British government is playing with the people in Iran. The British were funding the Safavid and Qajar dynasty so they could steel many things from Iran which you see today in British museum. The British were funding islamic clerics to brainwash Iranian people to overthrown their king (look at the 1979 revolution). If you call this fighting for almost 200 years, please read history books.

About my quote: Britain has a well trained army, everybody knows that. But what I meant was that they could not fight at several fronts together. Offcourse they can defeat Irans forces within a couple of months, thats not the topic about.

The point is they just can't fight against e.a. Iran, Pakistan, N.Korea at one time, USA can!

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The ammount of money put into something means little if you dont know what and how to use it, true money rules but the means to make money rule are not easy.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   

The ammount of money put into something means little if you dont know what and how to use it, true money rules but the means to make money rule are not easy.

Look at what Japan did. In the late 1800s they pretty much bought knowledge, training, and weapons in everything from the core countries of the West to get where they were in the 1930s.

That's what China has been doing for the past few decades. There are a lot of students at my university that are from mainland China and are heading back there as soon as they graduate. China is pretty much paying for their education and for them to live over here.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Arghh, I dont usually comment on threads just for the sake of it, but this is such a horrible one, just flamebate material, expect 10 more pages of stupid comments followed by a plethora of come-backs. Sorry, but how can this crap be allowed?

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Speaking of flameworthy posts, here's mine...

As a US citizen, I'm proud of many challenges that America has overcome during its growth, the position of world leadership that we do have and the ideals of freedom and democracy (I just read what I wrote there and want to make it clear that I'm not running for office! :lol
. In particular, our creativity and innovation, the attractiveness of our universities to foreign students, and the generosity of the American people in times like the Tsunami.

However, I'm not blind to America's problems, our perceived hypocrisy of touting freedom, justice and democracy at the expense of others. Our consumerist and entertainment-focused society. The list goes on.

Should the US be the world leader? Is the world better off as Aria suggests? The patriot in me says Yes but with the condition that Americans - from the average citizen to the billionaire - live up to the principles and ideals we tout. That we work to become enlightened and wise citizens that we can become a more enlightened and wise country. I'll pause for a moment to let the laughter die down...

The difficulty of being enlightened and wise is also a challenge to every single citizen in every other country as well. It's a Universal problem. If we want world-wide peace and unity soon, then it's up to each one of us individually, in all of our countries, to challenge ourselves to grow to our ideals. In such a "perfect world" it won't matter who is the leader, because we'd all work together to bring the entire world up.

The key obstacle is the military-industrial/energy complex and those that profit from fear, exploitation of the weak and powerless, and dependence. The US (and other countries) depend on defense contractors for weapons, technology to project superior power. Companies engaged in energy, oil, mining depend on militaries to defend their interests worldwide. They also depend on back-door control of government leaders, laws, and policies to exploit and profit from their interests. For instance, does anyone really believe oil, coal, and natural gas companies want free, limitless energy to be easily accessible to the world in the future? Such a thing would completely destroy the power structure in the world and even out the opportunities for everyone everywhere.

As long as citizens in each country (including the US) can be subjugated by fear and dependence, we're at the mercy of those in power. What kind of fear? Fear of losing our job, of prison, of torture, of terrorism and murder, of war, of high oil prices, of looking weak. The list goes on. We're taught to hate those who are different from us or are from another country. And nothing teaches hate and fear more than war and violence, right?

As long as this fear and hate continues, the world will continue to be divided. But you all know this. I'm not saying anything new here. Just my feelings, hopes and frustrations that I want to share with you all. In fact, it's my new favorite conspiracy theory: That if we, as individuals, as citizens, as countries, work to become more conscious, more ethical, more principled, we can do the same for the world and put an end to the problems that frustrate us all. I'm interested in hearing more ideas from you all on what it takes to lead the world. I think the discussion is important with the threat of potentially worse war and more heinous violence looming around the corner. But I believe this threat is preventable but only if we do what we can to let our leaders know what kind of leadership we find acceptable.

[edit on 29-11-2005 by enhancedesign]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Well, maybe before Bush came to power a world without the US would have appeared rather dim. We certainly more popular with the world, and were seen in a more positive way.

Now with all the # going on in Iraq, the abuse of prisioners, corruption, anti-enviroment policies, anti-science policies, etc. Our reputation is very low, and we're very unpopular in many areas of the world (our administration isn't even popular in our own country!!!). So, it wouldn't surprise me if a large amount of the world's population thought they'd be better off without the US.

[edit on 29-11-2005 by RK_Pr0t0c0l]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Maybe we Americans should all pack our bags and go back to isolationism and lets see how the world events spill out without us intervening anywhere. The British should do the same as well.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Ok redn- I mean american
, just answer me a question? Why do american seem to think that this badge ; Royal marines
SC
Means swimmer canoiest?
And are willing to sell rifles for the jackets with those on them? lol

Got you talking in response to my post. Knew you would respond to something like this.

Have respect for the Brits in military power, even second rate right now hehe.

Per Mare Per Terram

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Maybe we Americans should all pack our bags and go back to isolationism and lets see how the world events spill out without us intervening anywhere. The British should do the same as well.

ok then

lets see how the US does without the rest (petrol and so on wont be an issue since the US can provide for its self)

i see blue skys and a peace full life

if only it would happen

i dont see why us brits should do what the US does and go into isolation
we seem to get on fine with people

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

ok then

lets see how the US does without the rest (petrol and so on wont be an issue since the US can provide for its self)

(- , -) you know I mean foreign policy isolationism. Like...Switzerland. Yeah thats it. Switzerland style. Remember during the Rwanda genocide in 94 when the U.S. refuse to stop it, thats how America should be. No interests, no morals. Thats the life Americans should have, true?

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
ok then
that would prob be good in someways since its US foreign policies that have landed it and others in trouble with its double standerds and so on.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
There are other possibile paths in between isolationism and "global dominance" - it's not a binary choice. IMHO the US needs to pull back to some extent but not withdraw entirely. With two huge major coastlines and a huge appetite for seagoing trade, we are always going to need a fairly large Navy for instance. But do we really need 200,000 troops based in 144 countries worldwide? For what?

The current excuse is the "War on Terror", which ignores the fact that if we hadn't spent the last 60 years screwing around with people on the other side of the planet, we wouldn't have become a target for foreign terrorists in the first place.

[edit on 11/29/05 by xmotex]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join