It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you like the Phantom and the Tomcat.......

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
You should love this.

I have absolutely no idea what the hell this was (apart from the obvious) I just found the drawing and thought you guys would like to see it.

It does look like a genuine drawing (rather than a fanboy mock up) but as I said I know nothing about it so I'd love to see any info you lot have

One odd thing about it, for me, is the use of the R R Spey engine instead of the J-79, the Spey is universally acknowledged has having reduced the Phantom's performance so why would this one also use it?

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Thanks very much
So, given that we now knew the (otherwise brilliant) Spey was not good for the Phantom, we would most likely have kept using it in this version too. Bloody typical

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Nice... It really looks like an F-4 with the wings of a Tomcat... But when is this model constructed...????

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This board is deffo me, I like the Phantom and LOVE the Tomcat especially so much. I wonder who the hell designed this one?, they must be British definetly becouse the sketch is based on a British Spey Phantom. Maybe it is becouse Britain wanted a plane to compare with the ultimate F-14 Tomcat, The gods gift of all fighters.

This is interesting but i still prefer a normal fixed wing Phantom than this swingin wing one. Its another wannabe Tomcat since the Tornado. Tailed aircraft such as the Jaguar and the Phantom are rapidly going out of fashion recently due to the tailess takeover like F-15s, Tomcats n stuff.

[edit on 29-11-2005 by Browno]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Browno, I was going to title this thread 'FAO Browno' but then thought I'd better come up with something else that would grab your attention.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It is basically a 'Pimped up' F-4 Phantom to me. It is deffo the RAF who were brought into this becouse it is a Spey Phantom sepecially tailored for british standards and the RAF/FAA were considering about buying F-14 Tomcats along with Canada and even the German Luftwaffe/Marineflieger? but exporting was stopped becouse of its high price and maybe politics.

www.f-14association.com...

www.topedge.com...

www.features02.kitparade.com...

One site admits it was politics more than money

Australia should have been a customer but they use the F-111 which is similar.

For some reason, I have always wanted to see an F-14 Tomcat in Luftwaffe/Marineflieger colours.

Due to politics stopping the F-14 exports, Europe invented the Panavia Tornado. I carnt blame them becouse the Tomcat is one hell of a fighter. If Europe wanted the F-14 so much, why didnt Panavia stick two tails on the Tornado like the Tomcat has. If they did you wouldnt tell the difference.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Browno, the Tornado was designed at the same time as the F-14 in 1969.

That design is from about the same time and was a swing wing Phantom that was proposed as a cheaper alternative to developing the F-14, there were two versions, a J-79 powered one for the USN and a Spey one for the RAF, all this is in the link provided for me by cyberian husky, take a look.

The RAF looked at all US fighters in 1975 for the Phantom replacement requirement but only the F-14 met the needs but was far too expensive, that was why we built the UK-only Tornado F.3, as a sort of 'economy Tomcat'.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Browno, I was going to title this thread 'FAO Browno' but then thought I'd better come up with something else that would grab your attention.

Guess this swinging wing Phantom was intended for cheaper sales/exports. Imagine if there was a tailess Phantom with two rudders like the F-14/F-15 or the old Vought F-7 Cutlass.

Waynos, was this thread made for me becouse you were going to name the thread 'FAO Browno'. If you did, Thanks!

Anyone who likes the F-4 Phantom or the F-14 Tomcat
you will love the F-15 Eagle.

Imagine if there was a swing wing F-15 Eagle, maybe there is one on the drawing board somewhere!

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I remembered some of your posts as soon as I saw the drawing browno.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
For all you F-14 fans.

One of the best art pieces I have ever seen of an F-14.

seekerof

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   

This is one of my faves had the U.S. Navy got an F-22 equivalent for the naval aviation.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

This is one of my faves had the U.S. Navy got an F-22 equivalent for the naval aviation.

that is ***** beuty
slick as a f-22 but looks of a f-14

did they make any of these (test air craft)

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

did they make any of these (test air craft)

Sadly no. Its just a concept. Wish it came in real life. Im sure Lockheed wouldnt mind making such a fighter.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Thanks very much
So, given that we now knew the (otherwise brilliant) Spey was not good for the Phantom, we would most likely have kept using it in this version too. Bloody typical

Possibly, but notice they mention an improved version with a GE engine. I can't find anything on the GE model they named, however. And check out the thrust rating on the Rolls.... 20,154 lbs. That beats 17,000 from the standard Spey.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
You're a star Waynos; I remember asking if anyone had anything on this a wee while back.

It seems to refer to this (but I couldn't find an image at the time) -

The most dramatic proposed modification of the Phantom was a "swing wing" or "variable geometry" derivative of the F-4J, designated the "F-4 (FVS)", promoted in the mid-1960s by McDonnell. The wings would be shoulder-mounted and would be able to sweep from 23 to 75.5 degrees. The Navy was very leery of this idea, since the service wanted a new fighter rather than an updated version of an older one, and lobbied for the Grumman F-14 Tomcat instead.

www.faqs.org...

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   

That is quite possibly the greatest looking plane I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!

Wow people, that is incredible. Look at that sucka, i cant stop thinking about it, wow.

Train

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
You're a star Waynos; I remember asking if anyone had anything on this a wee while back.
www.faqs.org...

sminkeypinkey,
Greetings.
I found this old topic of mine and figured it may prove of further interest to you, especially the links/sources cited. You have a post/comment within it, also.
F-4X/RF-4X Phantom II

seekerof

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   

The Attack Super Tomcat 21 (AST21) would have been the real deal, and in my opimion, a better naval option that the Super Hornet and F-35.
F-14 Tomcat Replacement Proposals

Leave my baby, the F-22 Raptor alone.

seekerof

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   

It really is a shame that the USN and USAF can't seem to develope air craft together without problems. Granted, the F-35 will help bridge this gap, but the Navy still isn't a fan of this aircraft. It is a shame too, because I agree with the USN preference of 2 engine aircraft over single engine.

On another thought, I wonder how much more it would have cost to just replace every air craft with a Raptor...be it F-14, F-15, F-16, or F-18. Imagine that - nearly all of US air power based off the Raptor.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join