It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miami Police Take New Tack Against Terror; Vow 'Surprise' ID Sweeps

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel

Maybe they have leads regarding a cell or a plot and by making this announcement, they are trying to force the cell to alter their plans, thereby exposing themselves.

Do you think they might do something desperate like carry ID with them?

This of course would mean that the Miami police know that the terrorists there are not now carrying ID.

How deep does the rabbit hole go?

deep?

I was just trying to come up with a reason why they would announce something as ludicrous as this.

on a comical note, the aclu here in NYC has been fighting to ban the practice of searching bags on the subway systems and yet, if you were to pop in on the aclu offices, they'd tell you that you must allow them to search yoru bags prior to entering their offices.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
This is an attack on the civili liberties of ordinary citizens that will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on terrorism. I am fairly certain every one of the 9-11 hijackers had to show ID to get on their planes. If there are terrorists here waiting to attack, you can bet good money the very first thing they did when they got here was obtain some form of ID.

What, exactly, do they think random ID checks will accomplish except to remind the rest of us whose boots are on their necks?

[edit on 11/29/05 by xmotex]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I had a little trouble picking my favorite dumb part about all this and I must say that advertising it like this would have to be it.

How stupid can people be ? This is utterly ridiculous for many reasons, many of which U all have already stated so I won't reiterate.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   

on a comical note, the aclu here in NYC has been fighting to ban the practice of searching bags on the subway systems and yet, if you were to pop in on the aclu offices, they'd tell you that you must allow them to search yoru bags prior to entering their offices.

You are right, the ACLU seems to play both sides of the fence. They would have been the last people to support the police in Miami, IMO. From the original post:

Howard Simon, executive director of ACLU of Florida, said the Miami initiative appears aimed at ensuring that people's rights are not violated.

"What we're dealing with is officers on street patrol, which is more effective and more consistent with the Constitution," Simon said. "We'll have to see how it is implemented."

So it can't be all bad if the ACLU supports it.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Someone said this action by the Miami Police is illegal.Damn right it is. The Fourth Amendment to the Constitution states:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, .....

If we let this go unchallenged, we will end up like the detainess at Gitmo - innocent, uncharged, and tortured!

Someone said this:

You might be right, people might need to do more than refuse to show ids, they may need to start smashing their faces in to let them know that this is illegal and unacceptable.

Before the neos claim that smashing a face in is called assault and is against the law, it is no more unlawful than asking me for my ID without reason!!!

I'm really getting into the mood now!

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
So, instead of racially profiling Muslim Males between 15-50 like they should....now everyone gets jacked up? God Forbid we sterio-type the ones that are trying to cut our throats!

This is stupidity in its purest form and it fits right in with our wimpy PC society.

Its like my poor old caucasion Grandma being searched at LAX airport last week....instead of yanking out the Muslim males and females and jacking them up, security goes after the little old ladies, old men, Italian Nana's and little caucasion kids.

Pathetic

Maximu§

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
as I said earlier, the stupidity in this announcement leads me to believe there is more here than meets the eye.

although I do believe that the next wave of terrorists will be little old ladies like your so called innocent grandmother maximus.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
LA_Maximus
If you had any interest in the facts, apart from those that justify your bigotry, you would know that the vast majority of terrorist attacks in the US are committed by US citizens, most of them white.

The arab boogeyman terrorist is your fear, not mine. Please don't advise our government to make everyone suffer so you can feel safer.

For Christ's sake..hasn't this gone far enough?

When are people going to stand up and tell their 'betters' to find another host to leach off of? Probably never.

If nothing else we can all take comfort in the fact that if people are spineless enough to submit to this and every other injustice in modern America, they deserve everything they get and more.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus
So, instead of racially profiling Muslim Males between 15-50 like they should....now everyone gets jacked up? God Forbid we sterio-type the ones that are trying to cut our throats!

LA_Maximus don't you know that all Muslims are not violent and besides, this is not about religion anyway!

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
While i can understand what they are trying to do with this show of force the whole thing makes me very uneasy. On the other hand, i remember alot of people complaining about nothing being done before the 9/11 attacks. We are on a slippery slope here. But i will say if i was involved in one of these id sweeps it would really piss me off. I do not like the way things seem to be headed

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

LA_Maximus don't you know that all Muslims are not violent and besides, this is not about religion anyway!

We all know that not all muslims are not violent, but we also know that all the terrorist attacks have been commited by muslim males.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   

although I do believe that the next wave of terrorists will be little old ladies like your so called innocent grandmother maximus.

Yeah! Let's not forget about Timothy McVeigh. He wasn't Muslim!

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
news.google.com

If you go down that list of related stories a good portion of them (I only checked about 10) mention emphatically that there will be no random ID checks.

As an example, uniformed and plainclothes officers might surround a bank building unannounced, contact the manager about ways to be vigilant against terrorists and hand out leaflets in three languages to customers and people passing by, said police spokesman Angel Calzadilla. He said there would be no random checks of identification.

from CBS News

I will have to admit that I jumped to a conclusion on this and only after poking about with google came upon this change in stance which has me puzzled. Did the intial site linked to add in the mandatory ID checks and thus spur others to say the checks would not happen, or vice versa? This definately deserves a bit of a closer look I think given the possiblity of stories changing and the whole different spin it puts on the situation.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Gang up on Maximu§ huh?

Bring it on.....and bring a sack lunch.

Yeah, don't lecture me on the "religion-of-peace"......to these radical Muslims its all about religion. Im a Roman Catholic and that makes them my blood enemy.

The Miami Police "tack" is nothing but muscle-flexing and would'nt stop a trained Muslim terrorist, because they know all-to-well how to get around police checks and cry "racism" whenever it fits their agenda.

Of course we need to racially profile Muslims....heres a quiz for you "quizlings".

Your a screener at an airport........theres only time to check one of these females before the plane leaves.....which one do you check?

a) Esther from Pasadena?

b) Abdullah from Egypt?

Does'nt take a Rocket scientist to figure this one out.

Maximu§

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Yeah, don't lecture me on the "religion-of-peace"......to these radical Muslims its all about religion. Im a Roman Catholic and that makes them my blood enemy.

Dude, the Crusades are ancient history, not a modern day role playing game.

Abdullah from Egypt?

I'm pretty sure that Abdullah is a guys name. Wanna try Fatima?

Does'nt take a Rocket scientist to figure this one out.

It might. Unless you're a rocket scientist.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Please Answer the quiz Intrepid....which one do you check?

Max

[edit on 053030p://222 by LA_Maximus]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Please Answer the quiz Intrepid....which one do you check?

Max

[edit on 053030p://222 by LA_Maximus]

Cool, I'll play.

I see no need to check either of them. That's what metal detectors are for. They check everyone.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Racial profiling won't help any more than these idiotic random ID checks, the terrorists are smart enough to adapt and start using Bosnian and Chechen caucasians to carry out their attacks in the West.

The best way to fight groups like Al Quaeda is a) stop playing into their hands and supplying them with new recruits and b) increase our investment in sigint & humint (with a major increase in the latter) to penetrate and destroy the terror cells from within, and c) turn their own population base against them.

Randomly harassing Muslims and bombing Muslim countries is only going to hand more power to the fanatics.

[edit on 11/29/05 by xmotex]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I read that they ARE NOT CHECKING ID'S, cant remember where, it was on the aol main page though...cnn or something. On the other hand people are blowing up in defense of this too much imo. It's just an idea to throw terrorist surveillance off if it is happening. I really do not believe they will check each and everyones id. At least they are doing something, not only will it affect terrosists.....criminals too. I dont think anyone is gonna carry out a big bank heist like the shootout in California if cops randomnly pop up in force around them.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
ID sweeps

does this mean Evolution loses?

Ironic .. No .. Yes .. Maybe

4637 base 10
1993 base 14
??? base 17

359 day of the year 3+5+9=17

Keyboard
Q 17th letter (First)
M (last)