It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miami Police Take New Tack Against Terror; Vow 'Surprise' ID Sweeps

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Miami Police Take New Tack Against Terror

Miami police announced Monday they will stage random shows of force at hotels, banks and other public places to keep terrorists guessing and remind people to be vigilant.

Deputy Police Chief Frank Fernandez said officers might, for example, surround a bank building, check the IDs of everyone going in and out and hand out leaflets about terror threats.

"This is an in-your-face type of strategy. It's letting the terrorists know we are out there," Fernandez said.

The operations will keep terrorists off guard, Fernandez said. He said al-Qaida and other terrorist groups plot attacks by putting places under surveillance and watching for flaws and patterns in security.

Police Chief John Timoney said there was no specific, credible threat of an imminent terror attack in Miami. But he said the city has repeatedly been mentioned in intelligence reports as a potential target.

Timoney also noted that 14 of the 19 hijackers who took part in the Sept. 11 attacks lived in South Florida at various times and that other alleged terror cells have operated in the area.

Both uniformed and plainclothes police will ride buses and trains, while others will conduct longer-term surveillance operations.

"People are definitely going to notice it," Fernandez said. "We want that shock. We want that awe. But at the same time, we don't want people to feel their rights are being threatened. We need them to be our eyes and ears."

Howard Simon, executive director of ACLU of Florida, said the Miami initiative appears aimed at ensuring that people's rights are not violated.

"What we're dealing with is officers on street patrol, which is more effective and more consistent with the Constitution," Simon said. "We'll have to see how it is implemented."

Mary Ann Viverette, president of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, said the Miami program is similar to those used for years during the holiday season to deter criminals at busy places such as shopping malls.

"You want to make your presence known and that's a great way to do it," said Viverette, police chief in Gaithersburg, Md. "We want people to feel they can go about their normal course of business, but we want them to be aware."

I am stunned by the stupidity of this unnecessary show of force within our own backyard!

If I were to compare this imagery to a true police state, could someone explain to me what the difference would be??????

Disgusting. Pathetic. Moronic. Unnecessary.

I'm convinced the "terrorists" have already won.

Is this the world we want our children raised in????

[edit on 29-11-2005 by loam]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
They attack us and we lose our freedoms, Its not the first time the few have screwed it up for the many *cough*guncontrol*cough*

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   
life's turned into a really bad joke.

yay, freedom. *waves flag*

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   

"People are definitely going to notice it," Fernandez said. "We want that shock. We want that awe. But at the same time, we don't want people to feel their rights are being threatened. We need them to be our eyes and ears."

Howard Simon, executive director of ACLU of Florida, said the Miami initiative appears aimed at ensuring that people's rights are not violated.

This is an incentive that could not possibly cause any social problems or have any negative repercussions at all.

Who will liberate the "liberated"?

Coming to a western nation near you...

[edit on 29-11-2005 by TheShroudOfMemphis]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Minority Report....pre-crime...just a matter of time? Every day since 9/11 it seems our society is more & more resembling ME models, than they ours.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
its life as we no it jim,
does life imitate art?
or does art imitate life?
i remember reading books,seeing movies, hearing stories,
(aldos huxley,zardoz,that pesky nwo)
as long as i can remember,there;s allways been a evil intenioned overlord
and a threat of dominance.
be it a damn commie,a arab terrorist, or that pesky nwo
condition 1 generation and the majority of the next will follow,....
after 2, u got em, hook . line . sinker
now.... who was that jesus guy again???

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I remember watching the old black and white movies with a nazi checkpoint where they demanded your papers and an explanation of why you were out and about; I used to think it was such a funny but now I'm not so sure anymore. I guess we can default to being criminals if we don't have our ID with us at all times, but hey arent we due to have new national ids issued in the next year or two anyway? My friends used to laugh and call me crazy for talking about stuff like this, I wonder what they will call me now when they read this one...

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Well, well, well...

Terror in the United States. The illusion continues and takes off, and there's no stopping this now...Sweeps will spread all across the land of the free.
Please save your speech about how "If you're here legally and got nothing to hide you shouldnt worry" crap.
Freedom is gone and some of you are still behind all this-

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
If I was stopped and asked for ID by these jackbooted thugs, I would tell them that they can kiss me where the sun dont shine.

This is likened to putting the lobster into a pot of warm water and then gradually turning up the heat. This is a test to see how the American people will respond, and after the response turns out to be minimal they will turn up the heat a little more with a more blatant showing of force.

And another thing that really kills me about all of this is that while all of this will be going on our borders will remain wide open---and they say they are interested in catching terrorist.

Why don't I believe them?

[edit on 11/29/2005 by Classified Info]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Aww, loam.

You beat me to posting this story. I wonder where all the bootlickers are now and what their response to this is. The saddest thing is people STILL can't put 2 and 2 together and figure out what's really going on.

Yes, 9/11 sure did help our govt. It's almost like it helped them out too well, like they had a hand in it...

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Deputy Police Chief Frank Fernandez said officers might, for example, surround a bank building, check the IDs of everyone going in and out and hand out leaflets about terror threats

They can go to hell. Thats not even remotely consitutional or legal. Someone should arrest this Frank Fernandez.

Certainly if they're actually thinking that they can detain people for not handing them their ids. I suppose they can request them, they just can't have any legal right to expect people to give them to them.

This is likened to putting the lobster into a pot of warm water and then gradually turning up the heat.

You might be right, people might need to do more than refuse to show ids, they may need to start smashing their faces in to let them know that this is illegal and unacceptable.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
[sarc]it's NOT like pre-war nazi germany at all, you anti-americans![/sarc]

wow, complete with propoganda leaflets. sheist!

i think this was a hole in the whole anti-NWO crowds' analysis. that being the idea that you need foriegn troops to round up, detain and fire on american citizens.
i think americans have probably caught more american bullets than foreign bullets over, say, a fifty yr. mean.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The only hope we have of stopping crap like this is to stand up to it. We are obligated to.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The Americans will allow all this and more to happen. Its easier this way.

I wish as one person, me, i could do something...there isnt. You have the media ready to attack you for being an Anti-American fool. Look at Cindy Sheehan, and others...what have they accomplished?

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
the whole idea of surrounding a bank (or other business) and checking everyone's id sounds a bit ridiculous. Any chance they are publicizing this "plan" in an effort to root out an already known group of terrorists? Maybe they have leads regarding a cell or a plot and by making this announcement, they are trying to force the cell to alter their plans, thereby exposing themselves.

In all seriousness, they cannot stop you and ask to see id without reason. The banks, hotels, businesses etc would have to give them permission as well as it is all going to happen on their property and the actions will, undoubtedly, impact their business.

there's more here than a group of overtrained cops with time to kill

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I always carry my ID on my anyways, but if I was asked for my ID, I would definately argue.

Please keep following this. If this really happens, it is a dark day in the US - the beginning of the end.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
As a Cuban, i can tell you that that Fernandez character and his bright ideas, are representative of Bush fanatics in Florida. They are all for Bush and whatever it takes to save "America"

Those are the same people who were for Fidel Castro and did all they could to get him in.

Thats right, only to have to leave because they made a baaaad choice.

Ironic.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Miami police announced Monday they will stage random shows of force at hotels, banks and other public places to keep terrorists guessing

What would the terrorists be guessing?

How many terrorists attacks have there been in Miami?

Didn't the supposed 911 terrorists have all the ID you needed to get on a plane?

All thats missing is the jackboots.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Not even the word "Please" following the question of "Papers" will cause me to give my id to these fascists [Middle Finger!
]! There is this thing called the Bill of Rights in the United States. It states emphatically and unequivocably that I am innocent of ANY crime until I am PROVEN GUILTY by a JURY OF MY PEERS! Furthermore, our laws state that I shall not be subject to any search and/or seizure absent probable cause. Ergo it is my LEGAL RIGHT to refuse to show my [papers] to anyone unless it is during the course of the investigation of a commission of a crime WITHIN WHICH I am suspected of being either a perpetrator, conspirator or witness. Any other request is deemed unreasonable and is protected for under law. In other words, the jackboots can kiss it!

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Maybe they have leads regarding a cell or a plot and by making this announcement, they are trying to force the cell to alter their plans, thereby exposing themselves.

Do you think they might do something desperate like carry ID with them?

This of course would mean that the Miami police know that the terrorists there are not now carrying ID.

How deep does the rabbit hole go?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join