It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farewell My Filtered Friends

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Dustinthewind, hope you don't mind I borrowed your burning cigarette logo?
I just copied the link to imageshack...
Otherwise, I can host it in another place....I just thought it was cool..

nevermind, it was too big for the sig...Mod made me take it down..

[edit on 8-1-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Hey spacedoubt go ahead and use it if you can find out how to turn it sideways, I messed with it for a couple of hours but to no avail.:bnghd:

Mabey one of the avatar pro's on ATS can rework it?

Well I broke down and had a couple smokes today, workin outside in the rain was really miserable,sooo depressing....need some sun soon. I will see how tommorrow goes though, gonna be hard if I am working with other smokers. I'll keep you guys posted!

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Hey, DIW! Don't fret it; don't sweat it. You're making the committment to give it a good solid try. I think you'll be successful but I won't be surprised if you find it hard or if you back-slide a little. Even if you get off to a rotten start, that's just a start.

Tonight, I played poker with my usual semi-regular Sunday night poker pals and I smoked a whole cigar. I don't feel bad about it in the least! I might regret it tomorrow if the joneses come back on me. I don't think they will but they might.

I'm taking a whole new attitude - this is not supposed to be a punishment or some kind of purgatory. I smoked heavily for more than 10 years. If I make some really good progress (as I believe I have) I can treat myself without feeling like I fell off some wagon or failed. I planned tonight's cigar in advance and it gave me something to look forward to as a reward. After all, I'm not quitting because I decided that I hate cigars! I'm quitting because I hate addiction! As long as I'm comfortable that I'm beating the addiction, then I can truly enjoy a good cigar as an occaisional treat - that's been the plan all along.

Maybe you cigarette smokers should try a fine cigar as a reward...it will be different but you'll still get a nic-blast. I don't want you to end up like I did - smoking 3 or 4 a day. I'm just saying that let's let this whole "I'm quitting smoking" thing be like a celebration rather than a prison sentence.

Celebrate every small victory!

Lemme know if you want a recommendation on a cigar that will actually taste like a reward instead of a punishment.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Where is my dear dgtemep..

DG check in please...I have your methadone ready...LOL

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
OK, I may have pushed my celebration thing a bit farther than was good today. I cheated more than was really "allowable" under my self-imposed guidelines. I guess the point is that I meant what I said earlier but there is a line that should not be crossed....

Now, I think I need to work a bit harder for the next few days before I "congratulate" myself, again.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Keep trying...IT's when you stop trying that really counts against you..
My new hobby is a quitter.

And I am getting better at it..
I just think of new things to do, to delay the cravings..

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Just a serious note..

a follow up on the mouth infection I had a couple of days ago..

I just had the tooth extracted..It's a goner.

There was a little bone loss, and that didn't help either..thats what caused the popcorn hull to get stuck in there, in the first place..The rest of my teeth are ok though..

It's all from smoking..the receding gum, and the bone loss..I had a choice, a root canal to the tune of 1000 dollars...and having to wait for MARCH!!! to do it..

So I opted to have it pulled, I am in pain!..they had to cut it in half, and it took a long time...As I have long roots...

So a warning...save your teeth! Smoke a Turkey..!

To top it all off, I have 2 other of my guys out, so I have to sit here, and fill in,
Because we're a 24 hour operation.....

So cut out the smoking...cause I give a crap about what happens to my Bro's and Sis's here on the boards!!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Hey space sorry to hear about your tooth, I can relate your story to my father, he has almost all of his teeth pulled due to smoking and drinking heavily, so everytime I think about that it helps with this "battle".

As for me I cheated again and am smoking about 8 cigs a day. The stress of my wife's brother getting married at our house in 2 weeks is getting to me, Too much to try and plan in such short notice, plus work is just loaded, I am constantly moving to different work sites, lineing people out with tasks to complete,lots of driving......I need to slow down.....

Anyway, Thanks for listening, I will get through this...baby steps.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
awww I am sorry to hear U had to have it pulled space

RIP Space's toof *pours out a lil likka*

Dust (hope U dont mind me calling U that
) Don't let the hiccups stop U, U haven't failed. Have U tried patches ?

I am on my 2nd day of Level 2 patches and must say I am impressed! I have not even looked at a cigarette and wanted it

I want U all to remember why U want to quit, it sure helps me. I want to smell good ALL the time, I think I may want a bebbie (baby) now so I want to ensure I don't do anything now that may prevent that in the future, I want to have clean, healthy lungs, I want to be able to breathe deep without wheezing or coughing (that was starting recently and minimal but it only gets worse!) I want to avoid cancer if I can, I wanna make my mama proud!
she detests it, and I want to be a good role model for my future twin boys if I do decide to have them (yes they will be him's don't argue with me and shatter the dream
lol)

What do U want that giving up this habit can give U ?

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Guys Im not a smoker, and never would, But I can understand what you guys would be going through. My stepfather who battled cancer in 2003, was diagnosed with cancer around christmas time. 6 weeks later he was released from the hospital good to go again, few organs lighter!

I can smile about it now as I have come to terms with it!

However he could not fight the battle of quitting smoking, he battled cancer fearlessly, but could not battle the nicotine. I watched him go back to smoking like he did before cancer, and 3 months later I watched him take a heart attack, lie in a coma for a week and then be taken away. Nobody should have a fate as my family has had, these death sticks are nothing more or less.

Don't let what has happened to myself and family happen to you or your family. Is it really worth it? Anybody can say cmon dont be stupid.. But i know the battle it is.

I sincerely wish you guys all the best!

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded

Dust (hope U dont mind me calling U that
) Don't let the hiccups stop U, U haven't failed. Have U tried patches ?

I am on my 2nd day of Level 2 patches and must say I am impressed! I have not even looked at a cigarette and wanted it

What do U want that giving up this habit can give U ?

No ImJaded I don't mind, It is kinda a long name to type (nothing like Zeds or Pineapples names tho!) I have not tried patches yet, but talking with one of my friends he used SmokeAway and had excellent success with it, he has never looked back! I think I may try that.

I would like my energy back!
I have fallen into a slump recently,I stopped working out,Started smoking more, I am also travelling (back and forth between wash and oregon) alot lately, I am really tired most days..don't want to get up anymore in the mornings. But from the short time I have cut down I feel better than I have.
Like I said in one of my last posts..baby steps.
Thanks for the support everyone.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Thanks for the kind words Chissler.!

I just sent a u2u with my potential epitaph...If my mouth infection had gotten worse.

"Here Lies Space, He said he'd quit, or die trying.." LOL

[edit on 11-1-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Thank you chissler, your support is much appreciated!

I am so sorry to hear about your step-father, it is indeed a very hard habit to quit as I have seen through my father (who by the way has never tried to quit) and the death of my Uncle may he RIP) but I decided to do it before I got addicted, as I was smoking because I liked it, not because I needed it (wasn't a very heavy smoker).

I wish there was more I could do to help anybody who sincerely wants to be rid of this vice.

Wishing everyone the best in their goal

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Thanks for the kind words Chissler.!

I just sent a u2u with my potential epitaph...If my mouth infection had gotten worse.

"Here Lies Space, He said he'd quit, or die trying.." LOL

[edit on 11-1-2006 by spacedoubt]

Space! that is so not funny but funny! lol

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Pride before a fall - I am the poster boy.

I thought I had managed to quit in just a few days and I was so pleased with myself. The truth is, I have not yet gone a day without smoking. I've toughed it out for many hours at a time and thought "this is easy!" but, the fact is that I'm just smoking less. Smoking less is good but less is not the same as none.

I just started a new job that prevents me from smoking while I'm at work but I've managed to sneak in a smoke every day at lunch and as soon as I get away from my office. Then, way too much cheating once I get home.

Congrats to those of you who are doing better than I am; encouragements to those who are making progress; sincere thanks for everyone's words of encouragement!

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Crap day..

Want a smoke real bad..
I'm able to chew that gum again..
So Thats what I am doing..

Having a lot of crap days, since I stoppped smoking...or is it that my interpretation of reality is being denicotinated?

How's everyone else?

Chime in with a thought or two, or three..or even nothing...just RANT your butts off.. I don't care, and would love to read it..

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I tried quitting and failed miserably after a few days.

Don't give in you guys and gals. Seeing you guys/gals quit is making me, and Im sure many other smokers, want to quit.

Spacedoubt, it's almost been a whole month since you quit, man. Keep going!

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I am humbled. I'm not "there" - closer but, not there. I'm not alone in not quite getting there, I see.

OK, trying to find the silver lining - all of us are better off by smoking less, right? Right! And, a progression of smoking less will eventually lead to smoking none, right? Right!

So, we are all still quite successful at quitting! Nobody is failing! We're just all going at it more slowly than we'd like. The only time you go backwards is when you start using more of the drug than you've been using. So, let's all keep moving forward and keep being happy about our progress. (hope that didn't sound too lame)

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Just checking in..

Still smoking!!!

I think I will try that Smoke Away system like my friend did.

Been a pretty stressful week, my PM underbid a project and I had to run my arse off trying to get it done in 4 days, and yesterday after 8hrs at that project I had to go to another to troubleshoot another system having problems! Took down the whole hospital paging system!!:bnghd:
Not a good thing...Hate those 20 hr days.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This whole thing has not gone well.
I've tried to cut down, but that hasn't done much. I just find myself thinking about the next smoke, and then worrying about the consequence of that smoke.

I didn't show up for the blood work and urinalysis, but it's just lab work that I can have done at any lab in town without an appointment. I will try to get that done over the next few days.

The results from my exercise test should be back to my GP by now, but I'm almost afraid to hear what the cardiologist has to report.
(OK, I'm not "almost" afraid. I really don't want to know).

But I did want to check in with the thread and say that I haven't abandoned the process, but just had a few setbacks.

I don't want to suck my last breath through a hole in my throat like this man did.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join