It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farewell My Filtered Friends

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Well, put me in a cage, and feed me dumplings!
If AI-AI the smoking chimp can do it, we can too.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
It's funny me seeing this thread.

I am quitting in about 2hrs, no, seriously.

spacedoubt, go to chapters and buy this book.

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. ($10)

It's weird brainwashing but it works. You smoke while reading it - he wants you to. It's no crazy subliminal technique, all it is, is pure common sense force fed to you in mass quantities. I read it last year and quit. I am re-reading it now, and realise why I went back.

This time I am done for LIFE. I am fed up. F U tobacco and good riddance forever. I can't wait so I can breathe again. I can't wait to live again!

Good luck buddy, trust me on the book!!

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
hey robinm,

Good luck to you also!
Feel free to post, or U2U people from this thread.
I'll check out the book you mentioned, it's worth the 10, just to find out.
Cheaper than a couple days worth of smokes for me..

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by robinm
This time I am done for LIFE. I am fed up. F U tobacco and good riddance forever. I can't wait so I can breathe again. I can't wait to live again!

Good luck buddy, trust me on the book!!

I too am going to purchase this book (hopin it's not hard to get here in Aus) thanks for the heads up

Welcome aboard

Please don't hesitate to U2U me or vent on this board, we're all here for U

[edit on 2-12-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
It was on my mind all the time because I was trying to put off that next smoke.

So for today, I just smoked away................
But I'm really going to try tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Well,

I went to a Christmas party, an office sponsored party.
My intentions were to smoke very little, even while drinking.
I ended up sneaking out for one. So not too bad.
My wife had rented a room at the hotel, non-smoking.
Only smoked 2, and blew the smoke out the window.
So my daily totals are down to about a half a pack a day..

It'll probably stay that way, until I dump-em..
2 weeks to go.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I wanted to keep this positive because some of you need the support, but I havent stuck to quitting at all.

I tried and tried but i will keep trying. I am always so stressed out and smoking is the only thing i do . Not much of an excuse but its true...

I wish everyone lots of luck and i think i may go out and get the patches and see how that works.

I just wanted to keep honest about it.
:bnghd:

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
No Sweat DG,

Just a setback. Only you, know when you are ready.
Keep thinking about quitting..
YOu know that I haven't yet..Not until the 19th.
Maybe you can join me then?

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Yes, Space, i need to get the patches and i will shoot for the same day as you..Thank you for your support.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The more you quit and fail, the better chance that someday you'll quit and succeed.

I tried many times and failed, and finally, at 4:30 pm June 28, 2002, I quit and succeeded.

As a side issue, i'd always hated those reformed smoker a**holes and swore that I'd never be one of them myself. For two years, I never tried to be judgemental to smokers, figuring that we'd all have to quit sometimes, and why make it harder on anyone?

Then last year, I found out I had emphysema.

It's not going to kill me, and, by keeping on my diet and exercise regimen, I will probably not end up dragging one of those ^%(^%#^ oxygen tanks around. So far, it hasn't gotten in the way of my normal activities, which include long walks, some moderate hikes in the mountains, and lots of scuba diving.

But it will slow me down, and probably will take several years off my life (hopefully not for twenty years or so, but even so...!).

I'd not been a big smoker by some measurements, having smoked a pack a day for almost 40 years. When I quit, cigs were about $3 a pack; now I understand they're about $3.50. This means, since I've quit smoking, I've saved about $4,375, which adds up to a complete scuba outfit (including dive computer) for $1500, a 3-GHz PC for $1500, a Ruger M-77 in .308 with a good scope for $750, and ... but you can figure it out yourself. What do you want that you can't afford because cigarettes stole your money?

Quit now.

If you fail, try again. Think $5000 in savings, or think how nice it would be not to be a sexual turn-off to people who might be intersted in you, or think how cool it is not to lug around that cursed oxygen tank.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Offthestreet,

I am really happy you were able to quit. Good for you. I am also sorry that you have emphesema. Keep working at your health and you will be alright.

Personally, i cant afford to smoke right now anyway.:shk: This is pathetic. I do things that only "we" smokers know we do when we are alone and have smoked our last cigarrette...need i go into it?

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a hiccup along the way is still success dg, and it is still doing U good, so don't feel bad about it lady, the intent is there and that is a big step

U do have the power and I don't doubt that U can do this ! It's just a matter of timing and willpower, when you're ready.

The money issue was a good pointer also, I know I can't afford these bitches either, but I am cautious of how much I smoke and I think that is at least a start beacuse I never used to care. I think every little step or even thought matters.

Let's not stress it though and I am glad you're being honest with yourself and us also dg
I believe in U girl!

Just noticed our avatar's could be twins
lol

[edit on 5-12-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I wish you luck. I gave up cigarettes about eight years ago. One thing that I think helps is maintaining a mindset by redefining yourself as a non-smoker, rather than someone who is trying to stop smoking. It may seem inconsequential, but I think that by doing so, you change the decsion making process from will I have another cigarette to will I start smoking.

There will, of course, be a withdrawal period, but it really is short-lived and by that time you can look at those who smoke and yourself in a much more objective way. Your prior behavior will seem utterly senseless in its waste of both time and money. Not only that but the smell of cigarette smoke will become repulsive to you and you will begin to request non-smoking areas in restaurants, if there are any smoking areas left, and you definitely will never want to stay in a motel room where smoking is allowed.

And remember this, even if you give in to the urge to smoke a cigarette, don't abandon your status as a non-smoker. Just continue your life and try to use better judgement in the future.

[edit on 2005/12/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Sage advice, from a "been there, done that" guy.
Thanks a lot Grady..

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I've really been trying at this, but the last two days I've been out working on someones computer and pretty much chain-smoked the whole time.

I'm getting the feeling that this is going to be a tough battle... :bnghd:

A friend of mine went on an SSRI for a few months while he was quitting and that worked for him. I just can't remember the name of the drug right now.

I may have missed it in the thread, but has anyone tried SSRIs for quitting???
(selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor)

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
welbutrin possibly?

I think it has another name as an anti smoking agent..
But I think that might be what you are referring to..

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I've been smoking since I was sixteen. I'm 25 now and married with my first child due in late May so why not. I really dont want to be a bad influence on a developing mind.

January 1 2006. Q-day for me.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
overzealous,

Welcome!
Gripe all you want, when it's time.
u2u me, or the others if needed..

and lastly
good luck!

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I plan on making another attempt next Tuesday, Dec. 13th.
I have no asst. teaching to do on campus, nor any lectures.
One month of relaxation to make this attempt successful, hopefully.

May need symbolic support here, so bear with me and stay tuned.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Seekerof,

You're a few days ahead of my date..best wishes on your attempt.
My anxiety about it has started to change to excitement.
I'm looking forward to doing this with a support group, so to speak..
It'll be good..

Let's kick butt(s)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join