It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farewell My Filtered Friends

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
AD,
So, ever since you've begun the process.
You've become a chef, and a poet.

It's the poetry that's new.
You name it, I can cook it. As long as it's dead (or almost), I'll cook it.

Grilled serloin butt is one of my favorites.
And smoked salmon like my mom's, is to die for........

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
oh, I didn't know.

Well, then, a poetic chef would be the one to ask.
What rhymes with orange?

the closest I've ever come up with, was Door Hinge..

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Oranges poranges, who says, oranges poranges,
who says, oranges poranges, who says--
there ain't no rhyme for oranges!

Nothing rhymes with oranges unless you want to get silly........

Go forth and cook, it's a noble art.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I totally just got done eating a salmon sandwich.

It's funny that you mention that. I was thinking, as I was makin the sandwich, about how my dad is allergic to salmon. Then I was thinking about that Girl Dies from Peanut Kiss thread, how someone said that allergic reactions can strike you at any age. I was thinkin that if I had to quit eating salmon due to sudden allergies, it would be 10x worse than quitting smoking, and that I might go crazy and freak out on everyone if that came to pass...

Zip

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Witchiepoo...LOL
I remember witchiepoo.
Sid and Marty Krofft were DEFINITELY smoking something..

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
But you could still SMOKE salmon.
What a turnaround THAT would be..

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Sid and Marty Krofft were DEFINITELY smoking something..

And it was not the salmon they were smoking........

But before I light another, I think I'll make shortbread........

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
You guys are making me hungry.
Is shortbread easy to make?

I had some taquitos earlier, I was thinking how on the 19th, when I dump the cigarettes, I could totally see myself lighting up one of those..

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot
Then I was thinking about that Girl Dies from Peanut Kiss thread,

But yeah, WOW.... That happened up in the Saguenay, here in Canada.
From the pictures in the paper, she was drop-dead gorgeous...........

(OK, that last bit was in bad taste. Somebody call a Mod. to issue a warn.....)

In 5 minuts it will be 1 hour since my last cigarette.....
AND I'M GONNA LIGHT UP.

And that was one tough hour................

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   

You guys are making me hungry.
Is shortbread easy to make?

All you need is:

2 Cups Butter
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
(whip together until smooth)whip it good.....

Blend in 4 cups of flour.

Cook low and slow, about 300 F. for 12-15 min.

While I wrote this I had my smoke..... Now I'll wait another hour.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   

As for you, well, you're still a smoker, so obviously the reduction method hasn't worked.

but I must state in as strong terms as I can that the advice you are giving, to reduce consumption, is BAD ADVICE.

I have gone from 2 packs a day to 1/2 pack, with no relapses along the way. So it is working. I didn't build up this habit overnight so I dont expect to be rid of it overnight either.

And how in the heck that when I tell a person (who has tried cold turkey and failed, and nothing else works) that a gradual reduction in the number of daily cigerettes smoked is bad advice?

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Classified Info

As for you, well, you're still a smoker, so obviously the reduction method hasn't worked.

but I must state in as strong terms as I can that the advice you are giving, to reduce consumption, is BAD ADVICE.

I have gone from 2 packs a day to 1/2 pack, with no relapses along the way. So it is working. I didn't build up this habit overnight so I dont expect to be rid of it overnight either.

And how in the heck that when I tell a person (who has tried cold turkey and failed, and nothing else works) that a gradual reduction in the number of daily cigerettes smoked is bad advice?

You totally ignored my other post... It answers your question. Don't blame me for "gradual reduction" not being a feasible method to quit smoking. Intake reduction is great, but it's not a way to quit smoking. Advising someone else that it is a good way to quit smoking is not helpful. They might think you know what you're talking about and they might believe you. Intake reduction is a good method for intake reduction and that's it.

Zip

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   

You totally ignored my other post... It answers your question. Don't blame me for "gradual reduction" not being a feasible method to quit smoking. Intake reduction is great, but it's not a way to quit smoking. Advising someone else that it is a good way to quit smoking is not helpful. They might think you know what you're talking about and they might believe you.

As far as my own personal experiences go I do know what I am talking about, and that is in the context that I related it in. What worked for you does not mean that it will work for others.

And dont forget that my advice was based on this one factor-- "When All Else Fails..."---I didn't say it should be the first option or the best option, but a good option when all else fails.!

[edit on 12/1/2005 by Classified Info]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I'll just add that wearing patches and smoking herbals is an intake reduction method. And that's what I did. One of my smoker's blend even had some organic tobacco in it (along with catip, sage and rosemary, I think).

I quit commercial cigarettes Aug 19, 2001. By Sept. 11 of that year, I was smoking maybe 2 herbals a day. I am now completely smoke-free and have been for at least 2 years. I will never smoke a commercial cigarette again. I have successfully quit smoking!

So Zip, sorry, man, but reduction CAN work. Regardless of what you believe or what you've been told. It all depends on the desire of the smoker to quit. Once he decides to quit ANY method can work.

Nothing is going to make it easy. It's not easy. It's hard. It's really hard. And it's best to realize that going in. But each of us has the strength to do it. Millions have done it. If those weenies did it, then space and everyone can do it.
When it comes right down to it, the method doesn't matter. If standing on one's head while reciting Green Eggs and Ham works for someone, then it works!

Please let's keep this thread encouraging for those who are quitting instead of arguing about methods. What do you say?
It's all good.

[edit on 1-12-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
When you fail to quit when using a combination of medicine, habit replacement, and emotional support, then you should try again, rather than abandoning the best way of quitting and attempting the worst way of quitting. "Gradual" or "scheduled" reduction is second only to "cold turkey" as the most unsuccessful method of quitting.

I'm not going to argue this issue anymore. Apparently, there is a lot of support on the web for the gradual reduction technique, though some sites are trying to sell gradual reduction calculator products. One site that I ran across even went as far as to call the method "tried and true," which I think is misleading at best. Anyways, I didn't intend to chastise you for providing advice about the technique, I just wanted to point out its flaws.

I like the following advice:

Tip: Think like a non-smoker.
Non-smokers don’t plan their days around smoke breaks. Non-smokers don’t have a stash of lighters “just in case.” Non-smokers function without worrying about the next nicotine buzz. Think like a non-smoker.

One of the best ways to think like a non-smoker is to think of yourself as a non-smoker. When people ask, say you don’t smoke. Conceptualizing yourself as someone who doesn’t smoke will help you make that vision a reality.

It may sound silly, but positive thinking can help you achieve your goals. Calling yourself a non-smoker whenever possible will make you want to keep up with that image. For example, when a host asks if you want smoking or non, don’t just say “non.” Say “oh, I’m a non-smoker.” Then make it happen.

Zip

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I'll just add that wearing patches and smoking herbals is an intake reduction method. And that's what I did. One of my smoker's blend even had some organic tobacco in it (along with catip, sage and rosemary, I think).

Actually, that's a nicotine replacement method. Instructions for use of the patch indicate that at the point you first put the patch on, you should NOT be smoking tobacco.

The scheduled reduction technique is specific in its terms and that is strictly what I'm talking about. I'm not referring to any combination of lowered intake and other cessation therapies.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
So Zip, sorry, man, but reduction CAN work. Regardless of what you believe or what you've been told. It all depends on the desire of the smoker to quit. Once he decides to quit ANY method can work.

Again, you are confusing the terms.

EDIT: Look, clearly, as I have stated, I agree that an individual should do what works best for them, but far too often, I see smokers attempting the gradual reduction method and failing, and I wanted to point out that there are far better options out there. Yes, reduction "can" work. I didn't say that it cannot, I said that it doesn't work and that it's a horrible method. Which it is.

Zip

[edit on 12/1/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I guess its been over a month since I've turned to cigarettes, and I really don't miss them.

It hasn't been nearly as tough as it had been in the past. I never had a smoker's cough until I quit. Mirthful Me said it is because the cilia are waking back up and are working to sweep all my money's bought tar and stuff back out of the body. Obviously, the cigarette taste remains because of this, but the cough and the taste is lessening.

The feeling of accomplishment is a great thing. I feel better as well, and while I never was a sloth, I don't simply take a flight of stairs, I attack them.

Man, I wish I had known all of this before as I would have quit much earlier.

Shove it back at them - stop using their poison! Stop paying so much taxes in the process!

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Zip,

I and the others really appreciate your input.
I actually agree with you on the reduction argument, because it didn't work so well with me. But, thats me. I had to try it for myself, to believe it.
I came close, three months, but then slid back.
Now, I go cold turkey. Not becuase anyone told me to, but because thats what I decided to do. I'm stubborn about things that are preached to me!

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
AH,

So an important problem has come to my attention.

What do we do after.. ahem ..sex. I can say sex right? ok..sex.
What do we do afterwards?

Another member and I came up with a couple of ideas.(through U2U's only people!)
I won't say who, because she's kinda Jaded, but here are the 3 so far.

1. Shadow puppets on the ceiling
2. Balloon animals ( a trojan horse even!)
3. Rolling paper Origami (you even get the tactile feel of the cigarette paper)

Any of these sound good?
If not, please, feel free to add to the list..

[edit on 1-12-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
whip it good.....

~ runs in and interrupts post to dance around a little to this ~

I say whip it!
Whip it good!!

lol spacedoubt ... I will try think of some more, later though, bout to go to work Christmas party and smoke and drink and be merry
for one of the last times *sniff*

By the way who remembers this ?

Click Click Click

If she can do it we can!!!

[edit on 1-12-2005 by ImJaded]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join