It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farewell My Filtered Friends

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Lightweights....

I've smoked for close to 30 years, about 2 1/2 packs per day. Yep, I could have almost bought a small house for what I've spent on tobacco over 3 decades. The last few times I tried to quit, my friends and co-workers were practically begging me to start smoking again so I would quit being a Demon.

For the first time in many years, I actually have 2 weeks off around the hollidays in which I will have no obligations and will not have to worry about having to be around people. I'm going to give it another try.

I'll tell you what though, it would be much easier if I could just refrain from going anywhere that cigs are sold. I find I do pretty well, until I go into a store and see them in their slick displays and seductive packaging. If they would stop selling them, I'd find it much easier to stop smoking them.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
It's early morning where I am and I've decided to try to cut back, at the very least.
I smoke about 50 cigs a day right now, and I want that cut in half over the next few weeks.

It freaks me out way too much to try "cold turkey", but I'm going to keep track of every one I smoke, and make an honest effort to cut back. I intend to put off lighting up everytime I want one and try to keep myself as busy as possible.

I'll let you know how it goes...........

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I'm so excited for you guys! You're doing the right thing!

I'm an ex-smoker. I smoked about a pack of Marlboro 100s a day. I started when I was 12! And I quit after about 30 years! You can do this. I tried many times and the one time I succeeded, it was because I made it happen.

For me it was all a matter of making the decision and commiting to the idea that starting again WAS NOT AN OPTION. No matter what thoughts came into my head, if smoking a cigarette was one of those thoughts, I dismissed it immediately because it WAS NOT AN OPTION and thought of something else.

My techniques:

I got a cigarette rolling machine, some filtered paper tubes and some herbal smoker's blend from the herb store. AND some nicotine patches. And some herbal tinctures. Lobelia for taking the edge off of nicotine withdrawal and something else for calming me.

I didn't want to be weaning myself forever from the patch so I cut them in half and wore half a patch for the first 4 days, then I went down to a third of a patch a day for a week, then I would go one and a half days with the third of a patch on. Then 2 days, then I quit. I wore patches for probably 2 - 2.5 weeks.

The cigarettes I made helped me with the oral fixation immensely. They felt like real cigarettes in my fingers, and that really helped! I kept track of how many I smoked. 9 the first day. 7 the second. And so on. I always rolled one at night so it would be there first thing in the morning. I didn't put a restriction on the herbals because I know how I work and I needed the freedom to smoke something if I felt I needed to.

I got down to where I smoked one herbal a month. Then a few a year. I don't need them anymore.

It was important for me to plan everything out and have everything I needed, like lo-fat snacks, straws for drinking, cinnamon sticks and cloves for chewing on and so on.

U2U me if you want. Good luck to you! You're doing the right thing! You'll be so happy you did!

[edit on 30-11-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot

Originally posted by Classified Info
You say you are at about two packs a day. This week, change nothing, continue smoking as normal. Next week, drop down to 39 cigs. a day, the week after that drop down to 38....and so on.

No! DO NOT do this. It will NOT help you to quit. You are merely extending the nicotine fit period using this method. Trust me, I'm an ex-smoker.

You will have to keep honest records but if gradualy reducing your nicotine intake like this, you can put a big dent into how much you are smoking without even realize it too much.

Regardless, your body realizes it and you will either fail outright or cheat to get the same amount of nicotine that your body is used to, by, for instance, inhaling more deeply. Take any "stop smoking course" in the world and they will tell you that this is a horrible method that doesn't work.

It's good to hear that you have been smoke free for a year now and I can appreciate what you are saying but a gradual reduction has been working pretty well for me so far. Two packs down to 1/2.....I'm on the right track, cold turkey hasn't worked for me.

And about inhaling deeper as a way to cheat, when I was up to two packs a day I realy don't think it would have been possible for me to inhale any deeper than I was at the time. And I akso switched down to ultra -lights. I'll admit that I am not there yet but I am close and just as important I havn't had any bads days were I go off and smoke a pack or two.

When you said:

Take any "stop smoking course" in the world and they will tell you that this is a horrible method that doesn't work

Of course they are going to say that, there is no money for them to make to say otherwise.

There is more than one way to beat this habit.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

There is more than one way to beat this habit.

Absolutely TRUE! There are many ways. And each person is different. What worked for one may not work for another and what doesn't work for one may be just the ticket for another. To say that one method 'doesn't work' is really incorrect. Because depending on the person, it might be perfect!

Each person should try different ways and 'know thyself' is probably the best piece of advice!

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I was referring to free services such as QuitNet or those offered by the American Lung Association. So... No conspiracy there...

As for you, well, you're still a smoker, so obviously the reduction method hasn't worked.

In any case, I did include a qualifier in there "the average smoker" and I also included advice to do what works best for the individual, but I must state in as strong terms as I can that the advice you are giving, to reduce consumption, is BAD ADVICE.

Zip

EDIT: Misspelling.

[edit on 11/30/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Pretty touchy subject, how to quit.

Even a failed attempt is a success, in my book.
Because you learn that the method doesn't work for you.

The important part, is that you know you want to quit, and you give it a shot.
In the process, you learned something about yourself.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It is said that the more attempts that a person makes to quit smoking, the more successful they will be at quitting and staying smoke free. I think this is related to the psychological side of the addiction - if you truly want to quit, it is much easier to quit than if you are trying to quit for a sack of "reasons." It's the difference between saying to yourself, "I don't want to smoke cigarettes anymore, so I'm going to quit" and "I am quitting smoking cigarettes because of health concerns." One of the statements is more powerful than the other.

The American Cancer Society has a large online volume of quitting information, full of good advice.

For most people, the best way to quit will be some combination of medicine, a method to change personal habits, and emotional support.
While a large number of smokers are able to quit smoking without nicotine replacement, most of those who attempt quitting are not successful on the first try. In fact, smokers usually need several attempts before they are able to quit for good.

It's important to have your family and friends onboard. I read somewhere that a major reason for quitters to fail is due to friends and family saying things like "I liked you better when you smoked" or "Man, someone get this guy a cigarette so he can shut up" or whatever. It may sound silly, but that type of thing is inadvertantly taken seriously by the quitter. There are some websites and pamphlets that are specifically intended to be read by family and friends of smokers as instructional for their support.

The reason that I am quite against the "reduction" technique is because it just plain does not work. It is bad advice. If a person is trying to reduce their intake from two packs to one pack a day, that's fine - reduction does work in that case, for that purpose. It does NOT work to quit. When (and if) a person gets down to the level of 5 or so cigarettes a day, they will begin experiencing severe nicotine withdrawal symptoms throughout the day. As (and if) the number is cigarettes continues to be reduced (which is unlikely and against all odds), a couple things are happening:

- He is not actually reducing his body's need for nicotine: he is merely reducing his nicotine intake. With nicotine replacement therapies, such as nicotine gum, the same thing is happening, except that the actual habit of smoking cigarettes is no longer a factor in the nicotine intake. As such, a smoker combats his smoking habit and nicotine addictions separately.

- He is extending the agony period of withdrawal symptoms by several weeks, during which period smokers are MOST likely to begin smoking (more) again.

It's okay to be afraid of quitting smoking - the process is actually not very scary, and in many ways enjoyable, but the fear is still there, and that's perfectly okay, except for when ya formulate your quitting strategy. Don't base your quitting strategy on "avoiding fears." Base it on quitting smoking cigarettes.

The "reduction" method is used / touted out of fear, not out of a high probability of success. It's a way for someone to say to themselves, "hey, I'm doing a lot better! I'm almost there!" but it's comparable to climbing Mount Everest: first you take a plane trip there. That's the reduction method. At the end, you still have to begin actually climbing the mountain, and at higher altitudes, climbing a mountain while smoking a cigarette is impossible.

Whoa. That was the best analogy I've ever invented in my life.

Now, I'm not saying "don't reduce your intake." In fact, I strongly encourage you to do so. It is severely helpful. Just don't count on it as an actual method of quitting (meaning that one day you'll be down to 1 cigarette a day and then zero. That will not happen.)

During the two weeks before the day I quit, I switched from Marlboro Lights to Pall Mall Lights 100s. For some reason, I feel that this was a huge factor in my personal success, but I can't figure out any real specific reason why.

Hope this helps.

Here are three good free sites to help you quit.

www.cancer.org...
www.quitsmokingonline.com...
www.quitnet.com...

Zip

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Curse you, and the horse you rode in on......
Ever since you started this thread, all I think about is my next smoke.

I tried to cut down today by putting off having that next smoke. I took a walk up to Gage Park and then walked to the grocery store. I made 4 dozen oatmeal cookies, 14 buns and two loaves of bread. I have a leg of lamb in the oven and I'm about to make a tzikie sauce.

I may get fat again, but I've only smoked 26 cigarettes so far......
(But I've got a few hours to go tonight.......)

I might go start a thread called "Cooking With Anxietydisorder"

(anything to keep busy)

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I look forward to any recipes U have to share anxietydisorder

I see this is harder for U as yes I am a lightweight but do herbal cigarettes work as benevolent heretic suggested ? Have U tried them ?

Do they sell those in packs ? I remember seeing a stand for them in some gas stations years back but no longer, damn those tobacco companies! I am going to make a conscious effort to find those and try them out.

They are better for U yes ? or are they still bad to smoke ?

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
anxietydisorder,

Hey!
It was a HOARSE, that I rode in on..LOL.
thats why I'm quitting..at least one of the reasons..

I do the same thing by the way...Smoke more, when anticipating the prospect of quitting.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
I look forward to any recipes U have to share anxietydisorder

I see this is harder for U as yes I am a lightweight but do herbal cigarettes work as benevolent heretic suggested ? Have U tried them ?They are better for U yes ? or are they still bad to smoke ?

I've never heard of herbal cigarettes before.......
I don't think we have them in Canada.

I remember clove cigarettes from when I worked in the States, and I used to get an Indian (Pakistan???) cigarette that was just a rolled-up leaf with a little thread tied to the end, but I have never heard of any herb cigs?????

And For ImJaded,
I will post in "BTS Food And Cooking" over the next few days. I think I'm going to do a lot of cooking while I try to quit.........
You can catch a peek at part of my kitchen in the first two pictures of another thread that has to do with my microwave/computer.
www.belowtopsecret.com...

And I do post recipes from time to time that are original, and my own.

But right now I want a smoke, so I think I'll go chop some cucumber and garlic for my tzikie sauce, just to put off lighting-up for a while.........

[edit on 30/11/2005 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I do the same thing by the way...Smoke more, when anticipating the prospect of quitting.

Trying to quit makes me want it that much more, your soooo right........
Just one more aspect of OCD.......

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Well, I smoked for two years and as of today I have been smoke free for a little over a month.

I would like to say that for me, the key was wanting to quit and choosing that no matter how much I wanted a cigarette, and no matter how bad I felt, that as of NOW (this is when I quit) I did not WANT a cigarette, and I would NEVER hold a cigarette again! Then.. I don't know, that was it. It was tough for the first three days, then I started to realise how stupid it all was.

Even though it's only been three weeks, I can honestly say I feel alot healthier. Cigarettes are like a slow poision... you don't realise it's there really untill you stop, then its AMAZING how much more alive you feel! Anyways, I really support everyone who is and ever will try to quit, or has quit! It's tough stuff before you quit, but once youve done it you'll feel silly that you ever started...

Now the REAL test is to get drunk, once you can get drunk and still conciously choose "No, I do not want that and I will not smoke that!" then you are going to be allright.
Good luck, and best wishes all, and I somehow KNOW that you are going to make it and quit succesfully!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
Do they sell those in packs ?

Yes! But I preferred rolling them as it gave me something to do with my hands and it broke the mindless habit of just reaching for the pack. I had to work a little for my smokes.

I also had a few different variety of 'tobacco' (all legal) so I got a variety. It was real important to pamper myself in small ways.

They are better for U yes ? or are they still bad to smoke ?

They are much better for you. No nicotine. No poisons that the ciggie manufacturers use to make it smoke all nice and perfect. The sage blends smell glorious! Sure the best thing to do is to quit all smoking completely, but moving to herbal is a great first step.

It also helps to have a reason. I wanted to sing again. I thought I had lost my voice and now I have it back! Find your value and focus on that!

Good luck everyone!

[edit on 30-11-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
More
Herbal
Cigarettes

But, I'd roll my own.
I prefer buying the blend from a source I trust like the local herb store.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Without you, I feel alone.
But with you, I feel afraid.

I want you out of my life.
But the thought of that terrifies me.

So with every breath I take, I want you.
But every breath with you is a death sentance.

Your sweet seduction won't be my demise.
I can beat you yet.........

I can beat you at your own game.
So goodbye cigarettes, goodbye...........

OH GOD!!!!!!!!, I've sunk to a new low........
I've become poetic.........

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I happen to know herbal cigs are safe cause thats what cancer man smoked in the X-Files. So I would say that you can smoke all the herbals you want cause I don't think theres nicotene in em.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
AD,
So, ever since you've begun the process.
You've become a chef, and a poet..
not bad!
not bad at all.

And thats just from cutting down.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Just a quick word on herbal cigs.
They still contain some harmful substances, carbon monoxide, for one.
You are still subjecting your lungs to smoke inhalation.
But they are not physically addictive, as far as I can tell.

Make sure you examine, and research CLOSELY, the ingredients of your blend.
Use your judgement, be sure you won't become psychologically hooked on the
process of smoking.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join