It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farewell My Filtered Friends

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Update:

Only had one smoke in about thirteen hours. I think if I really want to do this, I'll have to do what LoneGunMan said and find a really good reason in my life to quit.
(I love your avatar by the way.)

[edit on 2-2-2006 by xeroxed88]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Xeroxed, I caught this post just twenty minutes after you logged out. 13 hours is great man, I know those first 12 hours can be a real tough nut to crack, but you did it! Just keep going, think about all the anguish you just went through to quit, dont waste that by smoking again!

Go 48 hours at least. You can do that, I did, you can. You want a reason to quit? I dont feel out of breath like I did anymore, and I used to gt these heart palpatations that would somtimes make my heart go into V-fib and then kick back in and beat normally. It hasnt done that since I quit. You can do it. You may even live in my community, and that means I quit for you! Now you quit for yourself and me, so I dont have to come and restart your heart.

Oh yeah, and dont smoke in bed.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I want a cigarette

*sigh*

LoneGunMan thank U for sharing and I am sorry to hear of what U went through. I am happy to read U quit and successfulyl so

it indeed helps to think about and inbed in your brain what progress or goals in life smoking is hindering or not helping U with.

Reminds me of a post I put up a lil while ago here -

I want U all to remember why U want to quit, it sure helps me. I want to smell good ALL the time, I think I may want a bebbie (baby) now so I want to ensure I don't do anything now that may prevent that in the future, I want to have clean, healthy lungs, I want to be able to breathe deep without wheezing or coughing (that was starting recently and minimal but it only gets worse!) I want to avoid cancer if I can, I wanna make my mama proud!
she detests it, and I want to be a good role model for my future twin boys if I do decide to have them (yes they will be him's don't argue with me and shatter the dream
lol)

What do U want that giving up this habit can give U ?

I really do want one right now though I shall not have one because I don't have any and I refuse to buy them (the government will NOT get anymore of my hard earned cash either ...well because there isn't any coming in right now too lol)

I am so proud of U all!

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   
double post sowee!

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
ImJaded, your reasons are strong, stick to those reasons, especially think about that lil baby in your future. That weezing goes away too.

I did the herbal cigarettes (I almost forgot about that)I purchased them in a little bag and rolled my own. The one I used came from a metaphysical bookstore, It was a native American blend, that the shammans used for the peace pipe. I only smoked after being desperate so it was about 3-4 a week for the first couple of weeks.

I think this really helped my mind get around that feeling of "omg I can never smoke again!" and gives you a feeling of control, because I could lite up without smoking a cigarette.

It really helped. Also remember that I felt the same way as all of you. I really believed (because I started at age twelve) that the addiction was stronger than I was. I thought when people told me they quit, "your addiction must not be as strong as mine" and it would make me feel hopeless, like I would never quit. I did though, and so can you!

Burn that nicotine demon!

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I can't rememberwhen it was that I quit; maybe it was Sometime in November when I finally laid them down.

The urge to light one (or two or three) has been strong the last few days, but the good news is when the urge strikes, that urge only lasts a few seconds.

Shortly after you quit, the little cilia wake back up and decide to do some major house-cleaning. All that junk you paid good money to have in your lungs is going to come out. Your sinuses are going to go batty, and the drainage is going to cause you to cough like never before (at least it did for me; I never had the smoker's cough). They say that, too, will subside.

The good news is, I feel much better because of the decision to kick butts. Don't back down; don't let the bully you back. Stick it to da Man and his murderous way of taking your money and wrecking your health!

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Ok, Screwed up last night....:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

I threw a Bachelor party for my Brother-in-Law last night and got pretty Hammerplastered, I don't know how many I smoked but I am definetly feeling the effects of it today, throut and chest are "sore" and I feel like someone is sitting on my chest.
Well, I am not going to let this stop me, I knew there would be bumps in the road but this helps me realise Physically what I was doing everyday by smoking these dirty turds!
I don't even want to see or smell one right now!!
I hope everyone else is doing good, I have not seen any updates from others who started in the beginning of this thread.
Anyways time to go put in a new slider door.
Dust

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
well, here's my update. I'm still stuck on smoking and I've been backsliding a little. I mean, there have been some days where I've been smoking about as much as I ever did. Today is one of those days.

I still claim to be quitting and I think I am still quitting. I haven't given up on either the smoking or the quitting. I just seemed to have hit a plateau for the last couple of weeks (not counting bad days like today). Still, I have cut my smoking by more than half on the average.

I don't know why I'm having such a tough time getting over the last hurdles. I mean, I've had several days where I couldn't really smoke all day and I didn't really suffer too much or even think about it too much. But, as soon as I could, I grabbed a smoke. Not like I was just dying to have one - just that I could so I did. I think my will power is waning and I'm relying on circumstances to force me to not smoke since I can't smoke at work and I will NOT smoke in my new car. But, the last couple of days, I've just stood in the cold parking lot and had a smoke before I got in my new car.

I'm just reporting in - that's all. I'm not whining or pitying myself. I'm a big boy - I know what I'm doing and I know it ain't good. I also know that it's up to me. I like encouragement but I don't think I ought to require it, ya' know.

How's everybody else?

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Al Division - Stick with, man. You can do it. Just think to yourself everytime you reach out for a smoke, "Why do I need to smoke it? What good will it do?" - It works for me.

I haven't quit all the way yet, I had a long think about smoking last night and I realised four things:

I enjoy smoking and I don't want to quit yet.
I'm only seventeen years old, I need to live a little (however ironic that may be
).
I can quit when ever I want to, I've done it before.

And finally:

I will cut down to about three or four smokes a day and if I'm out drinking, I will try to smoke less also.

I think I will quit when I actually need to. I know smoking isn't doing anything for me, but I just enjoy being able to chill on the sofa in the morning, coffee in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

One final note to those who want to quit, it's easy if you want it to be easy. Just keep yourself busy and you won't even think about smoking and when you start craving a cig, do what I just told Al Division and think, "Why do I need to smoke it? What good will it do?".

I wish you all the best of luck.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I've cut down alot already, I've only had two smokes in six hours. I'd normally have smoked about ten.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
ok, 7 days..
No smokes in 7 days.
For some reason, a psychological one, I'm sure, I still had to smoke three or four every week..Until last week.
I think I had the whole "ritual" part of smoking embedded in my head.

I never smoked in the house, so I've always gone outside to stare at the stars, Or, to the garage in winter. Thats where I had my comfy camp chair, and radio. A short escape, if you will. A smoke, some music...relaxing. yeah

Thinkin'........it's my thinkin' spot.
And yep, my smoking spot.

I just had to go out there and smoke, a few times a week. I went longer and longer between them. This is the first time I've gone a whole week without one. Thats pretty cool!

I'll be camping somewhere in Death Valley this week. Just for a few days.
I hope it's not TOO relaxing. I may forget to NOT smoke!

You all are doing great! Keep cutting down, just pay attention to what makes you smoke. It may help just to alter some of your other habits.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
that is awesome Space!!
Keep it up bud, I am going on another week of no smokes (minus the sunday jaunt).

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Good job, spacedoubt. Keep on kicking butts!

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Just adding my tid bit here.

Smoked for 25+ years. Am 38+/- So Been an avid smoker most of my life.

Been exactly one week as of today since I last lit up. Using Nyquil to help me sleep at nights.

Still having the cravings.. even as I type this. But I know it will pass as it has in the past when I attemped to quit.

Reasons I'm stopping now cold turkey? Not financially as I can afford the habbit. Not due to health reasons.. well partly due to shortness of breath. But nothing I really cared about in the past to kick the habit.

Think It came down to some politician increasing the costs and using the increase for cigarettes to help stop people from smoking. I was like what a load of Q$%@. Just goes to prove how crupt some politicians are and the load of dung they spew for thier own benifits to line their pockets.

Anyhow.. Since I was so upset with this BS from the politians I figured I'd stop supporting them financially and stopped.

Figured once others quit or died from illnesses associated to smoking I'd like to see where the politicians get thier money from.

So instead of feeling like and supporting others with this habit I stopped paying and smoking.

How do I feel right now again about it..
:bnghd:
:w:

I'll still drink my coffee thank you very much as I find it to be a great laxitive in the mornings.

Congrats to those who stopped and if one fails.. just get up and move forward and start again. Dont plan it.. just do it.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Wilbert, well done! You've seriously been kicking some butt.

That's a very good point about the tax that's added on to cigarettes... which is why I get mine from France whenever I can. They're a HELL of a lot cheaper, a 50g pouch of tobacco costs about £8 in the UK, in France it's about £3. What does that tell you? It's sickening.

Keep on keeping butt, guys and gals.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Hey everyone, it's been a while.
Had another follow-up, with my Doctor..
Vitals are still good..
And I'm still losing small amounts of weight..I'm under the 200lb mark now..
199 pounds..from about 213 when I started all this..

and yes..no smokes since the first of the month!

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Good job space!

I wish I could say that but I have gone back to smoking unfortunately, but only 5-6 a day while at work.

Just found out tonight my wife's grandpa is in the hospital and not doing to well, he's telling the doc's to not put him on life support either.

To get to the skinny of it, he has had emphasema for quite a few years now and has been on oxygen for the last 8 years.
We go to visit him and he can barely talk to you, think I would get a clue, NNNNOOOOO, but now that this is happening I have to make it a BIG POINT to really truely stop this freakin habit because I do not want to end up like that.

This hits home.....HARD
Dust

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Just got home from being with my wife while her grampa was in the hospital, He sadly passed at 1:00 pm today.
Not something I wanted to see but am now glad I was there to see first hand what this horrible habit does to us.
No more excuses for me, this is it for good!
Dust

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Hang in there spacedoubt. In no time at all you'll wonder why you ever started.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your wife's grandpa passing away.

Good luck with not smoking though and a big well done to Spacedoubt for kicking butt!

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join