It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farewell My Filtered Friends

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
It's Expensive.
It's bad for you.

It's time.
Time to quit smoking.
Due to another added expense, in the cost of my bad habit, I've decided to quit.
I have until The last day of the year, or my insurance goes up an adidtional 600 bucks per year.

It's a GOOD time.
My wife wants me to quit, and it's almost the New Year.
Time for my Resolution, I've never made this one before.
Sort of a New Years REVOLUTION.

Who will join me?
Who wants to be part of this thread?
If you quit with me, I will be here for support.
I hope whomever comes, will support me as well.

We can help each other. The more the merrier (or grouchier even).
I don't care if we've disagreed in every other thread on the boards.
This, is common ground. No Butts about it..

I haven't quit yet, but the time is winding down.
Let's talk about techniques, ways of forgetting you are going through withdrawls.

Patches, Gum , Pills, Cold Turkey?
What's your pleasure?

If you have just quit recently, you are welcome here too..

So!
Come on in, and lets"

KICK THE STICKS IN 2006!

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I wish you good luck.

As for me, I have tried cold turkey on two seperate occaisions and both times they have been miserable failures.

I am down to smoking about a 1/2 a pack right now, was up to allmost two packs a year ago. I cut down by thinking---why do I want this cigerette---before every time I light up. It has worked pretty good, many times I will put the cigerette back in the pack because after I think about it for a minute or two I realize I realy dont want it. It seems to be more of an a compulsion to me than anything else.

I'm hoping that when I get down to about 5--6 cigerettes a day that I will be able to go the cold turkey route.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I wish you good luck. Its an expensive nasty habit, i know

I may join you in your quest for a smoke free life. I dont know...

Anyway, set off to do it and you'll be amazed how much richer you will be!

Good luck, DG

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I smoke about 2 packs a day.
I'm starting to get chest pains and shortness of breath.

It's killing me, and yet I want to light another. They should be banned...

It's a frightening prospect that I won't survive to the age of 50 thanks to tobacco. :shk:

I'm going to try to join you on this, my life depends on it.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
If all else fails then try this:

You say you are at about two packs a day. This week, change nothing, continue smoking as normal. Next week, drop down to 39 cigs. a day, the week after that drop down to 38....and so on.

You will have to keep honest records but if gradualy reducing your nicotine intake like this, you can put a big dent into how much you are smoking without even realize it too much.

Sure it will take some time but think of where you will be at this time next year.

If I can drop down to a 1/2 pack a day any body can.

[edit on 11/29/2005 by Classified Info]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I'm down to one cigarette a day.

Peace

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Gum and patches worked for me. But quiting the gum and patches was one of the most miserable times of my life but worth every minute, now that the nicotine addiction has been squelched.

Good Luck my brothers and sisters, you can DO it!!!!!

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Great!

Thanks for the replies so far, and for the best wishes..
Have any of you had to adjust your insurance becuase you were a smoker?
This is the first time for me..a smokers penalty, as if I'm not paying one already!

DG, I remember when you first joined the Boards here, you were trying to quit.
Give it another try?

I've tried patches before. Had a little bit of success, about 3 months.
But, yep. you have to quit the patches too..

Dr. Love,
How do you lug around those packs?

Anxiety,
I hope you do join me in quitting..
I think you might be ready, but only YOU know for sure..
Can't hurt to try though..

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Cutting down gradually is good advice.

I used to smoke 20 cigarettes a day, now I'm down to just one...

...one BIG one, that is.

And with the money I've saved, I've hired a whole troop of Japanese women to help me put it out.

[edit on 2005-11-29 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
If there are any Japanese women left, after you've hired so many.
I'd like that kind of help too.

What brand of Cigs do you all smoke?
I did some menthols for a while, Newport, my Daddy's brand.
Thanks DAD!

I switched to non menthols, after I heard menthol was bad for you...LOL
So now, it's Marlboro Lights..you know, with the Points on the side.."Marlboro miles" they call em.

I'm saving the points for an iron lung. hehe..

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
ok,

I've set my date. Dec 19th.
I'm on vacation for a week.
I'm probably going to try the Cold Turkey method..

Anyone else?

Also, a favor to ask..Are there any Mods who could give this thread an occasional
Bump? So others might see? That would be a really cool thing to do, if you could.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Ok, i am in, i hope i can do this. I'm not working right now and cant afford them anyways.

I dont want to turn into an evil monster but i will try the cold turkey method.
Just remember, i am sweet, so if i START GETTING AGGRESSIVE
LET me know so i can tone it down.

Space, if you need me, u2u me for support. Here we go.
:shk:

Good luck to all.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
whoo hoo!
I'm proud of you , my dear..

Here is a picture of nice clean crisp fresh air, to help you out..

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
ok U talked me in to it *sigh* I'm in

dgtempe, U killed me with

Just remember, i am sweet, so if i START GETTING AGGRESSIVE
LET me know so i can tone it down.
U all are making me crack up

My sister has been off the cigs for about 3 months now and is a constant female dog (for lack of a more vulgar word hehe) I was gonna try quit but when I saw her behaviour I decided against it
lol

But the hell with it, I sure could use the extra money too. My partner quit the week he left me in October, he is now in Japan and living smoke-free with no problems.

I smoke Marlboro Lights Menthol (started the menthols my first trip to the US in 2001, people there are such bad influences
j/k ) and smoke about 10 a day. I like to think I am not addicted because I honestly do just smoke cause I like to but who knows, maybe the evil tobacco demon has taken hold of me

Think I'll have more trouble kickin it because I want as opposed to actually need to ?

oh well, can't hurt to try

look out world!!!

[edit on 29-11-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
High five to ImJaded!

Glad you're here.

I think we have some decent support now.
i wish you the best of luck..

U2U me or hopefully any of the others who are in, if you get the craving..

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I tried cold turkey a while back along with some hypnosis tapes and it ended badly.
:bash::bnghd:

I went back to smoking and smoked even more.

Since June I think though, me and my girlfriend have been chewing the gum, and haven't looked back. We used to smoke 1 to 1 1/2 packs each. We started out with 4mg and chewed about 3 or 4 pieces a day and now we're on 2mg and down to 1 or 2 pieces a day. We get storebrand nicotine polacrilex it's saved us a lot of money.
Truthfully, I havent felt any of the health benefits that I imagined from quitting. But I am glad to have quit. Course now I'm addicted to the gum, I wouldn't want to have a day without it, or it'd be

Hardest part was breaking the habit of holding a cigarette when I was doing stuff like drinking my morning coffee, or being at the computer, or drinking alcohol.

Good luck you guys. I support you! If I can help in some way let me know.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
It's Expensive.
It's bad for you.

It's time.
Time to quit smoking.
Due to another added expense, in the cost of my bad habit, I've decided to quit...

Spacedoubt, YOU ROCK!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
I unconditionally believe in you! Without a doubt!!

Onward! Upward!

Whooohooo!

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Classified Info
You say you are at about two packs a day. This week, change nothing, continue smoking as normal. Next week, drop down to 39 cigs. a day, the week after that drop down to 38....and so on.

No! DO NOT do this. It will NOT help you to quit. You are merely extending the nicotine fit period using this method. Trust me, I'm an ex-smoker.

You will have to keep honest records but if gradualy reducing your nicotine intake like this, you can put a big dent into how much you are smoking without even realize it too much.

Regardless, your body realizes it and you will either fail outright or cheat to get the same amount of nicotine that your body is used to, by, for instance, inhaling more deeply. Take any "stop smoking course" in the world and they will tell you that this is a horrible method that doesn't work.

If I can drop down to a 1/2 pack a day any body can.

For the average smoker, it is easier to quit cold turkey: a week of sporadic physical withdrawal periods (at most) versus the ongoing physical withdrawal periods associated with intake reduction.

Spacedoubt: setting a quit date is great. Quitting smoking is rather easy if you really intend to and you do it correctly. You'll never be a non-smoker, though, you'll be an EX-smoker.

I was a smoker for just over 9 years.

I quit last Dec. 9th. I'm almost up on my 1 year anniversary, and I have not been tempted to take a single puff. Smoking disgusts me. I had not set a quit date, I just kind of crumpled up my pack one morning after my first cigarette of the day, which I had put off to around 10am, as opposed to my usual right-when-I-got-out-of-bed routine. I sporadically chewed niccotine gum for the first week or two but I decided to ditch it after I realized it was just prolonging my withdrawal symptoms and postponing the inevitable.

Before quitting, I thought about quitting for a long time, and I decided that I wanted to quit. I kept a card in my wallet reminding me why I wanted to quit: teeth, heart, lungs, and sex. Smoking constricts blood vessels and in time many smokers have erection problems because of this (Canadian smokers will know what I'm talkin about because this warning is included in their rotation of warnings that take up half of each pack of smokes). I can't live without sex, so this was a strong motivator. For the record, I'm a young, virile buck, but after a while those Canadian warnings really have ya thinking about your future.

Anywho, I was extremely surprised at how easy it was to quit. In retrospect, I don't know what I was afraid of. My withdrawal symptoms disappeared within a few short days and my attitude towards smoking was quickly changed. I had a strong sense of pride for my accomplishment and a renewed disgust for the habit. I'll never smoke tobacco again.

Join ME!

Zip

One more thing... I guess I was kind of afraid about not having "smoke breaks." One of the biggest fears of a smoker is being on a long flight or being arrested or whatever and not being able to smoke for a long time. This sounds funny, but it's true: when ya consider quitting, ya think about missing smoke breaks, and ya wonder what life will be like without smoke breaks. Well, it's nothing to be afraid of. Now when other people go for smoke breaks and you have to pause the movie and hang out with them for five minutes, it can be damn irritating.

Sometimes, though, I'll just wander outside to catch a breath of fresh air. It tastes a lot better than smoke!

Oh yeah, ONE LAST, LAST thing. Whatever quitting method you choose, make sure you've researched different methods and you pick what's best for you. In any case, you will eventually be fiending for nicotine. The most important thing to remember during these times is this: the feeling passes after a few minutes, and it doesn't return until your next biologically scheduled nicotine consumption time.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Upsetting. I didn't know that this many people smoked. Wow. I can't stand the smell. I mean I would probably be addcited to the gas smell not a cig smell, ewww.

Well whenever I think about smoke I always think of what it will do to me. That stops me from doing anything. Smoking is bad bad. I am glad that I have not done it.

Don't want to end up like cancer man.

Edit= Smoking stops sex. Man Zip, you always got something good to say.I didn't even know that one.

[edit on 11/30/2005 by Conspiracy Theorist06]

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I have never, and will never touch a cigarette for as long as I live. I can tell if someone has had one cigarette, pretty much at any time during the day, I'm so sensetive to the smell. My parents smoked until I was almost 10. My mother quit cold turkey around 8, and my father quit cold turkey when I was 9 and came home to find him slumped over a chair in the living room having a heart attack. They were 2-3 pack a day smokers. My wife smokes, but she tries very hard to keep it to one cigarette a day, and is trying hard to quit. She has heart problems when she gets stressed out, so we're trying hard to get her to quit.

I'll be happy to be moral support for any members trying to quit. I'm a great listener, and will kick some serious butt if you pick up a cig after you quit. U2U me if you need help/support/whatever.

[edit on 11/30/2005 by Zaphod58]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join