It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush asking Iran for help on war with insurgency in Iraq.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
NR

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Ha!!! yeah right were going to help him, sorry but after all those things we been through and him bashing at us and threatening us, our simple answer is no. Bush has to admit that the insurgency is growing and that US soldiers can't handle it than mabey we'll do it...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- U.S. President George W. Bush has authorized the U.S. ambassador in Baghdad to meet Iranian officials to help secure Iraq after the Pentagon starts withdrawing troops, Newsweek reported on Monday.

In the December 5 issue of Newsweek, which hit news stands on Monday, U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad said he had explicit permission from Bush to begin a diplomatic dialogue with Iran about Iraq.

"I've been authorized by the president to engage the Iranians as I engaged them in Afghanistan directly," said Khalilzad, a former U.S. envoy to Afghanistan. "There will be meetings, and that's also a departure and an adjustment."

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack confirmed the United States wanted to meet the Iranians to discuss issues related to Iraq but said discussions would not extend beyond that topic.

"It's a very narrow mandate that he (Khalilzad) has and it deals specifically with issues related to Iraq," he said.

Link

[edit on 28-11-2005 by NR]

[edit on 29/11/05 by JAK]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NR
Ha!!! yeah right were going to help him, sorry but after all those things we been through and him bashing at us and threatening us, our simple answer is no. Bush has to admit that the insurgency is growing and that US soldiers can't handle it than mabey we'll do it...

(shrugs), if the Iranians don't help to control their borders and contain the insurgency as they expand as you said, then the insurgency may expand to countries bordering Iraq, including Iran. Jordan was hit. whos next? Good luck.
I'm sure its in Iran's interest to make sure the Sunni Arabs who they believe the Iranians are interfering and supporting the Shiites, would decide to target Iran just to teach the Iranians a lesson not to interfere even if Iran is not involve, its base on suspicions and in the ME, suspicions usually becomes true in peoples' mind.

NR

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

(shrugs), if the Iranians don't help to control their borders and contain the insurgency as they expand as you said, then the insurgency may expand to countries bordering Iraq, including Iran. Jordan was hit. whos next? Good luck. I'm sure its in Iran's interest to make sure the Sunni Arabs who they believe the Iranians are interfering and supporting the Shiites, would decide to target Iran just to teach the Iranians a lesson not to interfere even if Iran is not involve, its base on suspicions and in the ME, suspicions usually becomes true in peoples' mind.

Well it's not our fault, you guys started the war and this is what your going to get. Were only going to stay on our borders and secure it from there but no way were going into iraq thats your job and your problem, haha i'm lovin it how bush said we got everything under control and is fooling you guys and now he thinks he can win over Iran, what a joke

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I’m pretty sure its called asking a country to do their duty, I mean unless Iran wants the US to enforce it’s borders they should do it themselves.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NR

Well it's not our fault, you guys started the war and this is what your going to get. Were only going to stay on our borders and secure it from there but no way were going into iraq thats your job and your problem, haha i'm lovin it how bush said we got everything under control and is fooling you guys and now he thinks he can win over Iran, what a joke

Not your fault, Im sure the insurgents dont give a dam. Talk to the people who became victims in the hotel bombings in Jordan. Im sure you dont want to see the Iranians becoming victims of the Sunni supported Al Qaida Iraq wing headed by Zarqawi. After all, I remember Zarqawi saying the Shiites are even worse than Jews and Crusaders.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NR

errrr, where does it say that Iranian troops has to cross the border and be in iraq to secure the border....

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
NR, that is some seriously flawed thinking on your part, buddy.

This would be a chance for Iran to act responsibly, show it is a good member of the world and show it's government to be mature enough to do the right thing.

Think maybe that might prove to the West that it is as you depict it? I think it'd do better than looking like part of the problem.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
This is a brilliant political move by the Bush administration (which is quite uncommon). They of course know that Iran is likely to deny the request. In denying the request Iran effectively acknowledges they are not opposed to the insurgency. Of course this doesn't necessarily mean that they support it.

- Attero

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by NR

and threatening us

Must have been someting wrong with your TV and radio station, then.

It is Mr. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who threatened not only Israel but also the U.S. - and not the other way.

[edit on 28-11-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I’m pretty sure its called asking a country to do their duty, I mean unless Iran wants the US to enforce it’s borders they should do it themselves.

What are you talking about? The US can't even inforce it's OWN borders.
I just watched the Presidents' speech on illegal immegration and he was talking about using drones and giving the border patrol a pitiful increase. GMAFB.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   

What are you talking about? The US can't even inforce it's OWN borders.
I just watched the Presidents' speech on illegal immegration and he was talking about using drones and giving the border patrol a pitiful increase.

I agree with you when it comes to our border, the US government has failed this country and it’s people. However, the circumstances are different in Iraq making it a different matter altogether.

[edit on 28-11-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Uh, The U.S. doesn't want to enforce its own borders, just like Iran.

There's no great desire for Iraqi success in that region.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Iran actually has been doing its part against terrorism for quite some time now,

Iranian authorities have arrested 150 Arab, African and European nationals they suspect of being members of either the Taliban or al Qaeda, the Iranian news agency IRNA said Thursday.

Report: Iran arrests al Qaeda, Taliban suspects

"Iran has not been harboring terrorists, but has been fighting against terrorists."

Iran: We've Got Qaeda Bigs

Iran also has been trying to tighten its borders to stop militants from crossing into Iraq illegally.

The promise to control the borders, Mr Kharrazi said, was part of Iran's commitment to support Iraq's new government "by all possible means".

Iran vows to secure border with Iraq

Iran's foreign minister made a historic trip to Baghdad on Tuesday, pledging to secure his country's borders to stop militants from entering Iraq and saying the "situation would have been much worse" if Tehran were actually supporting the insurgency as the U.S. has claimed.

Iran, Iraq Hold Historic Border-Security Talks

[edit on 28-11-2005 by shire19]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This would be a great chance for Iran to prove to people that it is willing to help out.
Since by helping securing the boarders
Doing that it would ultimately save lots of lives giving Iran a good image

NR

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
This would be a great chance for Iran to prove to people that it is willing to help out.
Since by helping securing the boarders
Doing that it would ultimately save lots of lives giving Iran a good image

I just can't see that happening, US has done so much damage to us and we can never forget what they did during the war, seriously if i was there i would give bush a nice punch on his ugly lookin face. They want us to go to Iraq when they withdraw, I say let them learn their lesson and do it themselves... we Iranians can forgive but we'll never forget!!!

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Hello, Pot; meet Kettle!

NR, don't even go to some palces where you'll get a lot of mud on you.

I was in total favor of nuking Tehran when Iran was caught supplying anti-Israeli terorist organizations with ship-loads of weapins and explosives.
Please, do not act as if your government is lily-white, because it ain't, pal.

NR

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Hello, Pot; meet Kettle!

NR, don't even go to some palces where you'll get a lot of mud on you.

I was in total favor of nuking Tehran when Iran was caught supplying anti-Israeli terorist organizations with ship-loads of weapins and explosives.
Please, do not act as if your government is lily-white, because it ain't, pal.

Sorry I never heard of that, your governemt itsself is more of a pain in the a** than mine!.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
^^Both govts are a pain in the ass.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Early 1900's Germany and Japan, Two of the most evil and currupt empires ever on this earth, and here 60 years later we have great relations with these countries, Albeit some diferences of opinion every now and then, The funny and sad thing is, I cant see this happening with any ME country 60 years from today, as far as the world is concerned most of the ME countries, Mentaly are still children, Who need to grow the hell up.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
Early 1900's Germany and Japan, Two of the most evil and currupt empires ever on this earth, and here 60 years later we have great relations with these countries, Albeit some diferences of opinion every now and then, The funny and sad thing is, I cant see this happening with any ME country 60 years from today, as far as the world is concerned most of the ME countries, Mentaly are still children, Who need to grow the hell up.

perfectly correct ...

The religous and political movement of Islam dominated society has no intentions of ever ( neither past nor present ) accepting or embracing or possitively participating in a multicultural world, i think there genetic make up after millenia of war's has changed them to embrace conflict, perhaps in pursuit of the ever ellusive "calliphate".

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join