It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skull & Crossbones on crucifix, secret meaning?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Well, there is plenty of evidence and theories regarding the fact that the Church was and has been infiltrated by the Masons. There are even quite a few who think at this point they may even be in a fair amount of control at this point.

But even if that were true, back when this symbolism was common, it was not because of that. As stated by some of the links this symbol was not limited to the antique crucifix, it was common in all forms of religious art, and you don't really see it in use today. I just don't see how if it were sinister, what the point would be using it for what was predominently hanging around the bodies of all the nuns running around doing charitable works.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Also, that symbol in the halo is not an iron cross. Its an odd halo, granted, but it no more resembles the iron cross than anything else.

Also, the Iron Cross, both as a symbol in general and as a symbol named the 'iron cross' long predates the nazi usage. In a sense the iron cross is just like the swastika, an ancient symbol, often associated with peace and love, taken up by the nazis and now recognized in the west as an 'evil' symbol.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Found this rather impressive example of skulls in christian symbolisim

Christian Symbolism 5: The Skull -- This is a fun one, because it tends to disturb the squeaky-clean "niceness" that has unfortunately become identified with modern-day Christianity. We'll look at the two common meanings that the skull has had in traditional Christian art.

The first and most common usage is to place the skull in the iconography of certain saints. Mary Magdalene, Jerome, and Francis of Assisi spring immediately to mind, although the skull is frequently seen with other less popular saints, too. The saint is usually depicted meditating alone upon the skull or with the skull cleverly placed somewhere else in the image. The skull is a reminder of the brevity of life and the certainty of death, and it was not unheard-of for mediaeval religious to keep a human skull about to aid them in their meditations. This is the same idea as the old memento mori images that are not uncommon in classical antiquity.

More here

About 1/3 down the page.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
From the position of the Christ figure above the skull and bones, I would think that it has a lot to do with his triumph over death. The skull being a symbol of death. It could be a carryover from the Roman depictions of skeletons displayed in dining rooms to remind the people eating to embrace life because death comes quickly and to all. The skeletons were often either full body or skulls in mosaic floor tiles. It may have other meanings as well but that is what comes to mind.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparkie the Wondersnail
It could be a carryover from the Roman depictions of skeletons displayed in dining rooms to remind the people eating to embrace life because death comes quickly and to all.

Huh? I am not familiar with this. Do you have any links, it sounds most interesting.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I did a google search to try to find some of the images that I remember seeing in an art history class or a roman mythology class... Could not find much that I what I was looking for. I have to learn how to do this properly but here is a cut and paste version so it probably won't show up right

Here is the address to the copied text.

www.imss.fi.it...

Original artefact Mosaic with skull and level

Opus vermiculatum; 47 x 41 cm
Naples, MAN; inv, 109982
Pompeii, from the workshop R.I,5,2 (triclinium)
Middle of the first century AD - Second Style

Constituting the emblema of the flooring in a triclinium, this mosaic, with its naturalistic depiction of a skull and the tools of a mason, expresses allegorically the transience of life and the impending nature of death. It is the libella, the level, from which hangs the plumb-line -the instrument that serves to control the levelling of a construction- that symbolises all equality: from its ends hang in perfect equilibrium the symbols of power (the sceptre and the royal purple) and on the right, the sack and the stick, symbols of poverty. The skull -with a line of darker tesserae outlining the sutures of the cranium- and the level -an instrument that we known only through depictions from the Roman period, shown here with clearly illustrated bronze elements and its wooden structure- underline the intent to depict them with precision.

It was a floor mosaic like I remember but not one from a dining area.
I will have to keep looking

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by informatu

These crusifixes can date way back long before the massons came into exsistances. They originated in Bremen, Germany with a sect of monks, who made the original 13 crucifixes. They were worn by station in the sec and their detail was grand for there time, some say about 1243ish AD. There were 13 origanal made with the help of a Belgium medalsmith, as for their importance it it said the highest in the sect wore the Brass inlaid with ebony wood, then the silver,bronze and wood. There was one Brass, two silver, three bronze and 7 wooden, At the foot of Christ was a skull and crossed bones which represented "Galgothic" or Hill of skulls where christ was crucified. Another unique ledgend is that when christ was placed on the cross and his cross was placed in the ground on Galgothic Adams skull and bones rose to be with christ in death signifying the forgiveness of all sins past and future... If you look at the Painting of the Masters around the 1300', till 1641 you will see any oil of the Crusifixion has the shull and crossed bones at the feet of christ. It was common , in 1641 The Roman Catholic church deamed it "Gousch" and from that time on it was unexceptable. Now why are there thousands of these crosses out there? Well Hitler found a cross like these in his raids on the churches for wealth and artifacts, he was a supersisious man and felt that any good luck was his for the takeing. He had thousands of these crosses made of German silver, gave then to his men as a good luck charm, also there were rings of the same theme given to his most trusted.One can find a reference to the crosses and rings in the arverage Collectors guild for Hitler items. They have a value an are collected. The origanal 13 were lost during the years. Rumor says some were given to people as a blessing for helping a monk of the order when he was in need. The say if you were given the crusifix by the monk for helping him, he told you to return it to his Monistary and his brothers and they would bless your family. I'm sure some made it back and I know some didn't. There have been over the years thousands of these made and there are other stories out there about their begining. For 30 some years I have studied and reseacched these and heard fabulas stories from a rogue group of Cathlic pirates (jolly roger) to a cult of Satonic Priests with fantastic powers. If you look on Ebay you will find a few of them on any given day, right now 10/07/2008 there is an artist who has designed a special Rock Star Necklae that he is selling for 225.00 with one of these on it. He made one for a rocker that is somewhat famous, all tho I've never heard of him, but the image is Evil or bad boy. I after 30 years of research have only seen 2 maybe three of the original 13. They are in private collections and valued priceless, I have sent pictures to the Vadican and asked if they could help authenicate these 3 and was asked to ship them to them and if they were infact originals they would be happy to display them as a donation from the owners . Needless to say they are not on display. The fact that the Church was willing to look at them and put them on display seems to support that they (the 13) do exist. Other statements lead me to beleive that they infact have a few of these and are looking for the rest. I know the Vadican buys artifacts for the sake of returning them to the church as I have forund and sold a few to them. Many were taken from the church during Hitlers time, example I came across a beautiful book (The 7 stations of the Cross) done in Beautiful sterling filigree, and was offered a hefty sum when I presented it to the Church. I hope these comments and learning help you with your questions and quest. If you chose to continue this quest I would be intrested in any information you receive. Thanks Skip

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Omg I No lie i was at my grand maws on thinkgiving today and i saw this cross. behind his head its more like a star yea im not going to sell it but i would like to know how much it is worth my grand maw said it has been in my famliy for Many Years the back is stamped in germany i can barly see the heart on the back but it is in pritty good shape just tryin to know more about it.. Who were thay made for?

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanLeonidas

It is entirely possible for there to be skull and bones members in the the catholic church, maybe as far as even the Papal office itself; provided they went to Yale. The fact of the matter is that something like sixty percent of the people in the Vatican had to go to university of somekind, and current affairs asside, the United States still has one of the best univerty sytems on this planet. And Yale? Come on, any employer sees Yale on your resume and you're a shoe-in. Besides, I doubt the Catholics would mind too much about what one of there people did before they joined the church, we are talking about the group who refused to get involved during the holocaust. They're all about letting bygones being bygones. They probably chalk it up to adolecant angst that they grew out of after they graduated.

But how does that phrase go?
"Once a Skull and Bones....."
-Jade Phoenix

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Well, I don't want to fight or argue with anyone about this skull and crossbones on the crucifix but I just wanted to let you know that there are more than a couple out there. I have one that I would love for someone to look at. It has some writing on the back that I can't make out. Mine is wooden with metal figures on it. My mother-in-law was in possession of it until she died. That's when we found it and noticed the skull and crossbones. My husbands family is Catholic but none of them have seen it before or know what the meaning is all about.
I found this conversation interesting until people started taking comments personal. Thanks for reading my comment.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
hi , of simular interest i found a crusifix with what looks like aa animals head on it . at the top , above christs heat . it is a small charm , so it is hard to make out . it may be a cat , bear , wolf , or bat head . any ideas. ? i have never seen this before . i have heard of a wolf suckling at the feet of christ . and its respective meaning . but this one is new to me . any help ?

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
A basic search at the local library by a friend who bought a small pendant of the same kind of representation (Jesus on cross, over skull & crossbones) found that it's a very old symbology representing how Jesus' crucifixion won out over death.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I have to tell you, of all the articles that I have read, this was the best educational one written...Thank you so much for sharing these facts...

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanLeonidas
[more

Do you have any more half truths, wacky conspiracy throries, or lies to add? Do we all acknowledge that Mormons believe they will all be picked up by a big flying saucer in the end of days? Why do none of the Catholic church haters ever acknowledge any of the good things the church does. Do they ever acknowledge that many of the mass burials that have been found from the days of the Black Plague had many nuns in them, and that was because they were the ones that stayed and helped the dying to their own detriment. While everybody else ran. illuminati

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I already saw a reference to the Eastern Orthodox church.

I would strongly recommend that if there is such a church near you, take some time and go visit it. Any priest there should be able to interpret any of the symbols on your crucifix.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I am a Presbytera in the Orthodox Church (my husband is a priest) and I even though this is a rather old topic, I figured more people would stumble upon it, so I wanted to answer the question properly. The skull and crossbones in Christian art predates any Masonic or other secret societies. In fact, it has been speculated that the societies that use symbols like this did so because they were already being used in Christianity. (In the same way they didn't create the pyramids- they stole the idea)

The skull of Adam at the bottom of the crucifix is just that- the skull of Adam. Adam brought sin and consequently death into the world. But by the crucifixion of Christ, death was defeated. (Romans 5)

True Christian art is beautiful and rich in history and symbolism, you just need to understand why it's there.

Tashina Monk

Oh, and they are not very rare. It was the norm until the early 20th century. The reason they aren't as common as other crosses lies in the fact that most of them were made in the 1800s. And the symbol on the back is the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by PresbyteraTashina]

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I asked a priest about this today. He told me that the skull and crossbones represents hell. Hope this helps.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join