It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: China Says Bird Flu is Mutating

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
A Chinese official announced today that the H5N1 bird flu found in Chinese patients is sufficiently different from the strain found in Vietnam to indicate that the virus is mutating, although it still hasn't acquired the ability to easily spread from person to person. That final step would be necessary for the virus to be able to cause a pandemic. Over 60 people have died from the H5N1 virus in Asia since 2003.

www.forbes.com
BEIJING (AFX) - The H5N1 strain of bird flu seen in human cases in China has mutated, compared with strains found in human cases in Vietnam, Xinhua news agency cited a health ministry spokesman as saying.

Chinese labs have found that the genetic order of the H5N1 virus seen in humans infected in China is different from that found in humans in Vietnam, Xinhua news agency reported.

In China's human cases, the virus has mutated 'to a certain degree,' health ministry spokesman Mao Qun'an was quoted as saying.

'But the mutation cannot cause human-to-human transmission of the avian flu,' he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

China seems like the perfect breeding ground for this virus to turn as virulent as it can be, and I bet the virus is already several steps ahead of what the Chinese government and press is ready to reveal. God help us all because a pandemic is coming sooner or later.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) Links and Discussion Threads
Bird Flu Killed 300 in China, Says Unofficial Report

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
wow. its just another plot to try to get the world population down.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Wow in my head i was thining "its never goning to mutat so why worry"
But now well ...to quote my name WERE ALL GONA DIE!!

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spartanious
wow. its just another plot to try to get the world population down.

Although that would not necessarily be a bad thing. Sure the human loss would be tragic, but we are consuming too many resources to maintain our rate of consumption growth.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

A Chinese official announced today that the H5N1 bird flu found in Chinese patients is sufficiently different from the strain found in Vietnam to indicate that the virus is mutating, although it still hasn't acquired the ability to easily spread from person to person.

I wonder what it is during a virus' mutations that gives it "the ability to easily spread from person to person"? Does it grow little wings to allow it to be airborne? I know nothing about viral mutations.

Anyway, if this is true, the world is in for a rough ride.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

I wonder what it is during a virus' mutations that gives it "the ability to easily spread from person to person"? Does it grow little wings to allow it to be airborne? I know nothing about viral mutations.:puz

I'm not sure either, but from what i understand its just random changes in the genetic code and eventually one hits the genetic jackpot and it is able to spread more rapidly. Its literally evolution in real time. Technology and science has gotten to the point where we can see diseases and plagues coming in advance like a slow motion bullet, but at this point it seems we are powerless to dodge it.

And in response to the person that said it would be good to get the population down, yes for the generation after, or maybe the one after that. But the die off was severe enough to make a dent in world consumption of natural resources would mean massive loss in the western developed world which would mean massive loss world wide. It would be so traumatic that it would be the most important issue in your life. Your children would be like baby boomers, happy and care free.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I don't know why the hell they are expecting the Beijing Olympics in 2008 to be anything but a global epidemic. It's the PERFECT springboard for all the issues that have been brewing for the last couple years. A killer virus coming out of China is not a new concept in regards to NWO plans of wiping out big chunks of the worlds population - we all ready know that Governments are buying up medication to use on themselves and 'important' people, making it very hard for the public to get any. No surprises then that China of all places got the 2008 Olympics.

Spreading a virus amongst humans that can be spread globally and create huge quarentines in basically all nations is exactly what could happen at this Olympics and we can all say "well they did find a few fluey birds back in 2005" and never put two and two together.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Someone please correct me if my appraisal of the situation is flawed.

We know that bird flu is a deadly strain because few people who contract it survive. It's mutation is impossible to influence and it is really just a matter of time before, as someone said, it hits the jackpot. Preparing for that inevitability is next to impossible because by the time a vaccine is prepared, the damage will be done. C'est vrai? Or, is it, Ce ne vrai pas?

[edit on 2005/11/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Es verdad. This is awful- its not helping my ocd any. I just hope i dont become agorophobic or something. I already spend my days cleaning and spraying and disinfecting over and over and over.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I wonder what it is during a virus' mutations that gives it "the ability to easily spread from person to person"? Does it grow little wings to allow it to be airborne? I know nothing about viral mutations.

No expert either but my understanding is that a human gets affected with avian flu and human flu at the same time and the two swap genes; the avian flu picks up whatever is required to spread human to human at ease. Someone please put me in my place if I am wrong.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout

No expert either but my understanding is that a human gets affected with avian flu and human flu at the same time and the two swap genes; the avian flu picks up whatever is required to spread human to human at ease. Someone please put me in my place if I am wrong.

I believe that is what I read as well since the virus can pick up genes I believe from the regular flu virus. I believe it will need to spread fast as well or it will die out before it has a chance to spread. The regular flu seems to spread fast in my opinion. That would be one sick person to have two different flu viruses mutating within him or her.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
One possible bonus for us, if this virus "borrows" genes from Human flu may be that we can fight it off better. I am sure I have heard WHO types say that is it does go H2H then it will be less virulent.

As I understand it, the main cause off death in Bird Flu is the bodies overreaction to the disease. In essence, we kill ourselves when fighting the virus. If it is more "humany" then maybe we wont go all out killing ourselves to fight it.

Fingers crossed, anyhoo.....

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   
The virus can mutate to be transmissable from human to human in two ways. Either it mutates on its own as its seems to be doing in China or it can swap genes with a human flu virus in a person already infected with both. However the fact that it is so deadly is also its downfall as far as human infection is concerned. Since it kills its host so quickly it can't spread very far. If the virus mutates to become less deadly then it becomes more dangerous ! It needs time to spread to survive so the host has to live long enough. Although because man can travel huge distances so quickly in huge numbers I suspect the less virulent strain may not be necessary for a pandemic as it was with the spanish flu at the end WWI. I suspect the well travelled hosts only have to be mobile for 3 or 4 days via a couple of airports like Chicago and then its bye bye to 20% of us.

Oh another thing I learnt. Its the young healthy adults that are most at risk! Apparently the virus causes the bodys' defence mechanism to go into overdrive which is what kills you. So a less healthy person or one with lower immunity simply falls ill with flu symptoms and is sick for several days. Curious isn't it! So this means any anti-viral plan has to innoculate the healthy and/or those that live in groups which of course leaves the politicians wide open to all sorts of conspiracy theories from the ignorant.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout

But at the same time, by picking up some of those qualities from the human flu, like airborne transmission, it has mutated into something less deadly. Anything that makes it more like human flu also makes it into something that our immune systems have might have a better chance in fighting.

Disclaimer: I could easily be wrong. I'm not a medical professional.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Birdflu is a Chinese invented ethnic specific biological weopon, it will kill hundreds of million's people but a surprising few will be chinese ,then the sleeping tiger will pounce on world domination...

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by NumberCruncher
Birdflu is a Chinese invented ethnic specific biological weopon, it will kill hundreds of million's people but a surprising few will be chinese ,then the sleeping tiger will pounce on world domination...

H5N1 bird flu first was identified in 1959 in Scotland - and it's been spreading around the world via migrating birds and whales since then. That's why scientists have been screaming about an evolutionary crisis for the last 50 years.

The second post on this thread is full of quotes, references, and links:

The Soficrow Radio Show. "Bird Flu: Why Worry Now?"

Take some time and listen to the podcast too - then vote for me. Please.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Originally posted by NumberCruncher

H5N1 bird flu first was identified in 1959 in Scotland - and it's been spreading around the world via migrating birds and whales since then. That's why scientists have been screaming about an evolutionary crisis for the last 50 years.

Whales?

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Whales?

Yep.

H5N1's claim to fame is that it jumps species without requiring species-specific genetic material. H5N1 is a Type A influenza - so it infects birds, people, whales, seals, cats, horses, dogs, ferrets - almost any animal. Sometimes it's deadly; sometimes it's not.

The thing is, birds and whales migrate. And H5N1 was first discovered in Scotland, in 1959. Which means H5N1 has been spreading around the world, and mutating, for 46 years, at least.

Please - check out the quotes, references, and links in the second post on this thread:

...You may have to try 2 or 3 times if you want to listen to the podcast - it doesn't always load properly.

[edit on 29-11-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Crikey......

Thats really interesting...

Side thought, how does a Whale catch flu?

Two birds bobbing around on the ocean.....
Bird 1: "I feel ill......"
Bird 2: "You don't look to good Steven (Seagull, get it
?)
Bird 1: "Whats that coming up from below?"
Mr Whale: "Heeeelllllooooooooooo" he says in whale speak....
Bird 1: "Ahhh...ahhh...ahhhhhhhh...CHOOOOO...Sorry Humpy"
Whale: "Arrgh, that was nasty...it went in my eye....I'm off you grotty Seagull"

A couple of days later.....

Mr Whale: "urrrrgh, my blowhole is all bunged up and I have a sore throat..."
Mrs Whale: "You don't look very perky, Humpy dearest..."
Mr Whale: "AHHHH...CHOOOOO!"

On the suface a little fishing boat is blown clean out of the water.....

I would listen to the Podcast, but I have a feeling my manager might object

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Very funny stumason.

...People have been finding whale "blobs" washing up on beaches for a few years now - and I think it's related to non-respiratory effects of bird flu. These bugs affect connective tissue stem cells (fat cells or adipocytes are connective tissue) - and the diseased fibroblasts mutate into myofibroblasts and lipofibroblasts.

All the hype focuses H5N1's on fast-acting fatal effects - but the evidence suggests that the real crisis is caused by the slow-acting strains.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join