It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Veterans Feel Lives Enlarged by Wartime Suffering

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com... 2005/11/25/AR2005112501502.html?sub=AR

From Wounds, Inner Strength
Some Veterans Feel Lives Enlarged by Wartime Suffering

By Michael E. Ruane
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, November 26, 2005; Page A01

As Hilbert Caesar told his harrowing war story one night recently in the living room of his apartment, he patted the artificial limb sticking from a leg of his business suit. "This, right here," he said, "this is a minor setback."

Eighteen months after Caesar's right leg was mangled by a roadside bomb near Baghdad, and after weeks of coming to terms with what he thought was the end of his life, the former Army staff sergeant believes he has emerged a richer person -- wiser, more compassionate and more appreciative of life.

Emerging Stronger From War's Trauma
Despite losing part of his right leg in Iraq, Hilbert Caesar, 28, leads a positive life. While the shattering psychological impact of war is well known, experts are increasingly interested in those, like Caesar, who emerge from combat feeling enhanced.

Asked whether he would endure it all again, he replied: "The guys I served with were awesome guys. . . . I would go through it again -- for the guys that I served with. Yes. Absolutely. I wouldn't change it for the world."

I think there is a certain amount of truth in this. On the surface it sounds ridiculous that wounded or psychologically traumatized soldiers feel like this but some do. My husband came back with all his parts
but a mess mentally. He would go back and fight for his country in a heart beat also.

Interesting and i find its true.

Mod Edit: Quote Tags.

[edit on 27/11/2005 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Everybody simply has their own sets of goals and expectations for life. If these guys knew the truth about everything, I'm not sure they'd react the same way. But since this is what they've got, that's how they feel. It's neither right or wrong, it's the way it is.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Asked whether he would endure it all again, he replied: "The guys I served with were awesome guys. . . . I would go through it again -- for the guys that I served with. Yes. Absolutely. I wouldn't change it for the world."

I think there is a certain amount of truth in this. On the surface it sounds ridiculous that wounded or psychologically traumatized soldiers feel like this but some do. My husband came back with all his parts
but a mess mentally. He would go back and fight for his country in a heart beat also.

Interesting and i find its true.

Not ridiculous at all. For many men, it is the defining point of their lives. We cannot judge them, so turn that frown upside down.

Cute avatar, btw.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Jsobecky, yes we agree. Thanks for the compliment on the blurry avatar i created of myself when i had nothing else to do. Feel free to convert and use it as your background.

I love you too

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I think there is a certain amount of truth in this.

I agree. But I wouldn't single out soldiers as the only people who are strengthened by trauma and hardship. Trust me, I've had my share of hardship (most of which I haven't even mentioned on this board) and I'm a stronger person for it. I actually have come to a place where I can feel grateful for the wounding experiences of my past because look... I'm strong. I'm strong as an ox. I could take just about anything.

So yeah, losing a limb or other emotional and physical trauma has a way of bolstering a person's character.

new topics

top topics

join