It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Democracy last forever???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Will Democracy last until the end of times?

What do you guys think?

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 10:48 PM
link   
i hope not, although i think it will be the cause of the end of time

posted on Sep, 23 2003 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I sure hope not. If this is democracy, I don't like it one bit.

posted on Sep, 23 2003 @ 06:44 AM
link   
It may have used to be a Democracy, but Bush's Bully Boy Gang & his Corporate Cronies have been pushing this nation into Facism faster & harder than any other corrupted administration befroe them...

I forgot the dude's name, but the quote is, "The last act of a Democracy will be to elect a Dictator"...

posted on Sep, 23 2003 @ 08:43 AM
link   
well we don't have a democracy now, we have a democratic election for a republic, re as in representations and public and in people, representation of people, by those monkeys who don't represenet us they represent their pockets, democracy as a theory will always be around, but democracy in practise, has yet to be implemented, i think if there was a real democracy it would last, as long as there wasn't any business ppl around, it'd have to be like marxist in the sense of everyone sharing but democratic in ruling and decision making, but ppl need to wake the # up first

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Whats your reasoning?

i hope not, although i think it will be the cause of the end of time

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I say we vote on it and find out... just don't count the polls in Florida.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 05:13 AM
link   
What is democracy?

Its mass rule.

Since the mass is informed by the mass-media, it follows that democracy is simply the dictatorship of the lowest common denominator.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 01:42 PM
link   
democracy is an on going expriment. itll get worse before it gets better.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by innerRevolution
What is democracy?

Its mass rule.

Since the mass is informed by the mass-media, it follows that democracy is simply the dictatorship of the lowest common denominator.

That is true, but that is also the reason that we were founded as a REPUBLIC. We were supposed to be based on the sovereignty of individuals to govern themselves, with the protection of our representative government to prevent those rights from being taken by power-hungry elitist's. It's beginning to look like we have allowed the experiment of our Founding Fathers to finally be destroyed, by the rich fascists they warned so vehemently against.

This quote is regarding the fall of the Athenian Republic by Alexander Tyler over a century ago:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage."

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Geez Jezebel... what do they put into the water in Visalia??? I need some! Great Post!

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
THIS COUNTRY IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A REPUBLIC ITS SUPPOSED TO BE A DEMOCRACY. THATS WHY WE ALWAYS SAY WE WANT OTHER COUNTRIES TO BE A DEMOCRACY.

THE REPUBLICANS CAME IN AND STOLE EVERYTHING LIKE THE GRINCH ON CHRISTMAS.

WE HAVE ELECTIONS BUT THEY ARE FAIR. THERE BOUGHT WITH MONEY BY RICH PEOPLE LIKE BUSH OR SWARTZENEGGER. WWHEN THE ELECTIONS CANT BEBOUGHT THEIR RIGGED AND...

NO THIS # WONT LAST MORE THAN 20 YEARS. ID BE VERY SURPRISED IF IT LASTED MORE THAN 5 YEARS BEFORE PEOPLE START BURNING SUVS AND RIOTING IN THE STREETS. NO AMOUNT OF RELOCATION CENTERS WILL HELP.

[Edited on 5-10-2003 by websuspect]

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by copcorn
Geez Jezebel... what do they put into the water in Visalia??? I need some! Great Post!

Thanks! Actually the water here has a very tasty combination of:asbestos, barium, beryllium, chlorobenzene, 1,1-dichloroethane, diethylhexyl adipate, ethylene dibromide, hexachlorobenzene, silvex, 1,1,2,2-tetrachloroethane, and toxaphene aluminum, benzene, carbofuran, carbon tetrachloride, dichloromethane, diquat, nickel, simazine, tetrachloroethylene, thiobencarb, uranium, and vinyl chloride, amongtst others, which meet various "public health goals". Shall I ship you a gallon? It's a wonder I've any brain cells left at all!

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 04:19 PM
link   

THIS COUNTRY IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A REPUBLIC ITS SUPPOSED TO BE A DEMOCRACY. THATS WHY WE ALWAYS SAY WE WANT OTHER COUNTRIES TO BE A DEMOCRACY.

The original form of government for the US of A was a democratic republic. Democratic in the sense that government elections and legislation is decided by a majority-rules voting process. We are a Republic ( ...and to the REPUBLIC, for which it stands...) because the primary authority rests with the sovereign citizens of the individual states of the union in which they reside. The government is subordinate to the people, instead of the other way around. It was designed, so as not to centralize the power of government in one place. They were hoping to prevent the rich and greedy from taking the freedoms from private citizens. Because Americans got comfortable and lazy, the rich have done exactly that.

"Government power must be dispersed. If government is to exercise power, better in the county than in the state, better in the state than in Washington. [Because] if I do not like what my local community does, I can move to another local community... [and] if I do not like what my state does, I can move to another. [But] if I do not like what Washington imposes, I have few alternatives in this world of jealous nations." - Milton Friedman

BTW, the current definition of a republic as the same as a democracy is incorrect. It has been changed from it's historical definition, "a Republic referred to a government in which the sovereign held authority granted by the people and ruled according to law." It was changed so that people would forget that the government is theirs, rather than that they are the governments.

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 11:09 AM
link   
No form of government last forever. Just look back through history and you'll see the same question ask and asked again. Did the Roman Empire rule forever, did the Eqyptians rule forever etc. Even though they all thought they would and at the time looked like they would - they did not....

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I don't see the American model of Democracy lasting forever, too many people are displeased with it. As far as people registering to vote on the "lesser of two evils" idea when it comes to political parties, that needs to stop if they want things to actually change and keep this model of Democracy going.

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaoszero
I don't see the American model of Democracy lasting forever, too many people are displeased with it. As far as people registering to vote on the "lesser of two evils" idea when it comes to political parties, that needs to stop if they want things to actually change and keep this model of Democracy going.

i second this person cause as you see to much freedom for to long makes people start doing stupid things. like suing mcdonalds for getting fat.

also people are starting to try add new stupid laws. like having gay marrisges.

new topics

top topics

join