It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mezmerizing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Does anyone here know the difference between being mesmerized and being hypnotized? I have often wondered this. You know the whole "looking into my eyes"thing? I have seen Criss Angel do this to people, what exactly is happening???

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
isnt that just 2 words for the same thing.

iirc it has something to do with the first(?) guy that started using the technique i think his last name was mesmer.

Found a link with the history regarding Mesmerism
serendip.brynmawr.edu...

[edit on 27-11-2005 by SilverSurfer]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Mesmerized is more about being awed or starstruck by something.

Hypnotized is more of a mentally controlled state.

Does that help?

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
When ever I think "hypnotize" I think of that guy from Little Britian.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Being mesmerized is a form of meditation, in which a person does not lose their consciousness. Magnestism (mesmerism) is the polar opposite of hypnosis. Magnestism deals with a person's real consciousness, while hypnosis deals with a person's ego, or false consciousness.

From the Revolution of the Dialectic by Samael Aun Weor

See for yourselves how these modern psychoanalysts, these famous psychiatrists, psychologists, parapsychologists, followers of hypnotists, exert themselves more and more each time to drown out the true consciousness of the Being, to suppress it, to eliminate it. More and more, by all means, they want to invigorate that false consciousness which we possess.

Mesmer was a marvelous man. He had a premonition that a double consciousness existed in human beings, thus he resolved to study it. He realized that a false consciousness exists as well as a real legitimate consciousness stored in our depths and that we underestimate the real legitimate consciousness. Therefore, Mesmer began to carry out experiments of magnetism which were, without a doubt, contrary to Hypnology.

Poor Mesmer, he was ridiculed and criticized a lot in his time and they still continue to ridicule and criticize him to this day. Presently many texts of hypnotism begin by talking against Mesmer. Hypnotists hate him because he precisely pronounced himself against that false consciousness; he discovered that a double consciousness exists: the false and the true consciousness. Mesmer came to unmask the false consciousness before the solemn verdict of public opinion and it is clear that they almost swallowed him. This is the crude reality of facts.

What is understood by false consciousness? It is that consciousness which they have formed for us from the time that we were born. It is that consciousness which was created with examples, with the precepts of all of our relatives. It is that consciousness which they formed for us in schools, and with all the social prejudices that subsist and shall subsist.

Related Links:

Hypnotism - A Psychic Malpractice

Hypnotism and Magnestism

Hope this helps,
Akashic

[edit on 27/11/2005 by AkashicWanderer]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Mesmerize was released on May 16 by SOAD and Hypnotize was just released by the same band.

Sorry, I couldnt resist.

mes·mer·ize ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mzm-rz, ms-)
tr.v. mes·mer·ized, mes·mer·iz·ing, mes·mer·iz·es
To spellbind; enthrall: “He could mesmerize an audience by the sheer force of his presence” (Justin Kaplan).
To hypnotize.

Main Entry: hyp·no·tize
Variant: also British hyp·no·tise /-"tIz/
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Forms: -tized also British -tised; -tiz·ing also British -tis·ing
to induce hypnosis in
to influence by or as if by suggestion

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Okay, here's a G-R-E-A-T webpage that defines Mesmerism:

www.themystica.com...

And here's another article that explains pretty much everything we know about Hypnotism.

www.newadvent.org...

GOOD LUCK

new topics

top topics

join