It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss Ban Genetically Modified Crops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Swiss voters today supported a five year-ban on the farming of genetically modified crops, offering a further sign of widespread distrust in Europe of scientifically enhanced foods.

More here

Mod edit: Fixing link

[edit on 27-11-2005 by parrhesia]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
It's nice to see a country step up to the plate and voice their opinions on genetically modified foods. I don't think the humans were made to eat foods that are genetically modified, it just doesnt make sense. I know that around 2/3 of our fruits and vegetables are modified today and it makes me wonder.

How are all these altered genes affecting our bodies; bodies that have been used to "real" fruits, vegetables, and meats for thousands of years?

This vote must have ticked off american food companies and I'm sure they will make some complaints to the WTO.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Good for them! In the US I'd settle for labeling that tells me what I'm eating, but by now I fear there is almost nothing on the shelves that isn't adulterated so it's not like we have a choice anyway.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Exactly

Why can't we be informed about what we are eating without having to go out of our way to find out the ingredients.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Suisse citzens don't want to be guinea pigs. Good idealogy to sit back and watch what happens rather than jumping into the frankenfoods game.

The use of GMOs in farm animals is already outlawed permanently, while genetically modified plants or crops are subject to a long testing and authorisation process that would take at least five years to complete, according to Swiss authorities.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
It is about time someone comes to the plate and takes a stand. Just like the other posts I am glad to see this take place. They need to be shown how we feel. Great find

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
My mother came from the farm and gardened all her life. She saved seeds of all kinds. I now have a box full of seeds, some of things I'll probably never grow but seeds will last several years. Well, look at that 2000 year old seed that has sprouted. Go online and order some seeds of what you might grow from an heirloom seed bank. You can grow a tomato plant in a plastic bucket and they, big ones, are free at grocery store delis. Get some good soil at your local nursery or go along a creek or river and scrape up some soil that is centuries worth of decomposed leaves. Find a stable and collect some composted horse doo. Go easy on the horse doo, mix it all together, stick a stake in the dirt and plant your tomato seed. Then just water when it feels dry and you'll have tomatoes that taste out of this world practically free.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
The seeds thing brings up an interesting issue - the terminator gene in GM foods - since agribiotech companies make the GM foods they want to insure that they keep making a profit. Originally, GM seeds could be saved and replanted - a lot of them nowadays can't be since they want the farmers to return buying the seeds year after year from the manufacturer - instead of the millenia old way of saving seeds and replanting them.

This not only will add to the expenses of farmers but to consumers as well.
Thank God for Organic Farms

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Alikospah

I just planted cherry tomatoes (to see how I go with those before I try for the bigger ones lol) beetroot, strawberries, rhubarb and zucchini as well as lots of herbs - basil, mint, parsley, coriander (cilantro) and rosemary

I have a lemon, almond, pear and peach tree already growing from when I was 11 at my parent's house also. I won't be there much longer but as soon as I have my own house with my partner once we're married I will start all over again and expand more so.

There is nothing like fresh fruit and veggies

And good on the Swiss for saying NO. I can't believe people here still buy their fruit and veg at supermarkets here knowing they are genetically modified :shk: And when was our poll for this I'd like to know ?
Maybe I missed it but I doubt it. I always see people skipping over the organic stuff, and well, it's so expensive I don't blame em.
And people wonder what's happening to the kids these days, look at how they are growing, look at all the problems they encounter these days and most hardly ever connect the dots with their diet and the shi* they are selling us these days *sigh*

[edit on 30-11-2005 by ImJaded]

new topics

top topics

join