It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft design

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
What advantges to they hold over Leading Edge Extension and what are there purpose.

Does nayone know some site or something like that to tell me

Can someone tell me the advantages of each of the aircraft designs.

[edit on 26-11-2005 by chinawhite]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Canards have been used for different reasons, all modern fighter designs that have them do so for agility reasons, same with LERX's as you know, but the SAAB Viggen used them purely for STOL operation.

As to advantages over LERX, I can only think of 1 at the moment (its 5am here and I just got up 'cos I can't sleep,
) and that is that they are operated as control devices in their own right while LERX are fixed meaning that while LERX increase the instantaneous turn rate of an aircraft (which is why the RAF had them incorporated onto the AV-8B for example) a canard is also useful in roll pitch and yaw. When I'm more awake I might be able to do better and I may even find a site to link to

Just thought, aircraft with LERX also normally have a tailplane too, unlike which a canard generates lift and allows for a greater payload/range or a smaller lighter wing depending on the requirement, a smaller and lighter still wing is afforded by FSW but that brings with it many problems related to aeroelastic properties and structural strength so the delta canard has been seen for several years now as a happy medium.

[edit on 26-11-2005 by waynos]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   
i knew you would come though waynos

good information.

Do you have any information on the angle of attack the EF has.?

[edit on 27-11-2005 by chinawhite]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Is it possile for a eurofighter to do a cobra or a superhornet?

I was under the impression that all you need is over 1:1 thrust ratio and a high AOA.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
As far as I am aware the Typhoon cannot do the Cobra manouvre as its software wont allow it to, apparently as soon as the aircraft detects that its control surfaces are rendered ineffective it automatically recovers, this sounds a bit iffy to me in an emergency combat situation where the pilot want to go a little bit further than is the norm but I don't have any definitive information as yet.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
waynos,

How much does composite material reduce your RCS.? If you were designing a stealthly aircraft would you rather more RAM paint or compostie material.

Is it because composite material has a small density than metals or can they absorb radar waves?

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Radar sees metal better than composite materials, bouncing right it. That's why the F-117 is shaped the way it is. To try and deflect the radar wave away from the source. It's structure is mostly aluminum. Composites let wave pass through them and can absorb the wave so don't return. Several companies have found this out by accident. Lear developed the prop driven LearFan. Wasn't produced because as simple looking as it is, it's mostly composite and civil radars couldn't see it. They accidently made a stealth aircraft without even trying. So it was not certified by the FAA.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The German firm MBB made a stealth fighter called the Lampyridae but i heard the US cancelled it. Looks a bit like the 'Have Blue' prototype.

www.military.cz...

www.f-117a.com...

The Have Blue looks a bit better than the Nighthawk the way it is more delta shaped and the inward canted tails like the 'F-19' Cover up stealth fighter.

Anyway I still accept the Nighthawk the way it is but i like to discover other black projects like the Aurora n stuff.

The Northrop F-19 Specter(Monogram not Testors) is a nice design although it was a plastic model.

www.fantastic-plastic.com...

m2reviews.cnsi.net...

www.whatifmodelers.com...

The design of the 'Specter may be possible becouse its intakes on top are designed to focus shockwaves on the upper lip while cruising at mach 3ish speeds.

The old NAA YF-107 had its intakes on top, The F-117 does so this airframe design may be airworthy if it was built.

This F-19 Specter thing is a friggin boomerang! it keeps coming back to me every time i try and throw it away!.

[edit on 4-12-2005 by Browno]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The Germans back in WW2 had some freaky aircraft designs you would not even think about, I read a book about British secret aircraft designs, They had swing wings and some designs that resemble an F-14 Tomcat!.

The Germans had a freaky 'Fighter Disc' that had blades running round the whole airframe and they could actually 'Chop' its way through enemy aircraft!

There are loads of cool designs out there in the books, Just if they came to reality!.

new topics

top topics

join