It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Simpsons To The Court of Human Rights In Strasbourg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
A Russian lawyer don´t like The Simpsons. He claims The Simpsons spreads "propaganda of violence, cruelty, drugs and homosexuality" and want to pull the plug on the show. The case was rejected in Moscow court but now the lawyer will bring the case to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.

RIA Novosti: Russian takes 'The Simpsons' to European court

AFP Photo

A Russian lawyer who says the US animated television satire "The Simpsons" has caused moral harm to his son plans to petition the European Court of Human Rights after a Russian court rejected his case for the show to be removed from prime-time viewing slots.

The lawyer, Igor Smykov, charged that the popular program, syndicated in many countries around the world, spread "propaganda of violence, cruelty, drugs and homosexuality," but a spokeswoman for the Moscow court that heard his case confirmed it was rejected.

Smykov, quoted by the RIA-Novosti news agency, said he would take his case to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.

Smykov also sought 300,000 rubles (around 10,000 dollars, 8,500 euros) in compensation for moral damage to his family, particularly his nine-year-old son.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Totally ridiculous
. This lawyer obviously don´t have any sense of humour. I hope this case will be rejected in Strasbourg as well. I´m a fan of The Simpsons. I feel sorry for his son.

[edit on 2005/11/26 by Hellmutt]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
This is pure insanity!

According to the TNS Gallup Media ratings firm, more than half of the viewers who watch "The Simpsons" in Russia are between the ages of four and 18.

A 4-year-old watching the Simpsons? Who is being negligent here?

I absolutely love the Simpsons, but I'm an adult and I get it. It's an adult show.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Smykov also sought 300,000 rubles (around 10,000 dollars, 8,500 euros) in compensation for moral damage to his family, particularly his nine-year-old son.

FOX should just pay him off. $10K? Don't they know how to file frivolous lawsuits in Russia?

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Violence, Cruelty, Drugs, and Homosexuality.

Last time I checked, all of the above were cultural norms for post Soviet Russia.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
A Russian lawyer don´t like The Simpsons. He claims The Simpsons spreads "propaganda of violence, cruelty, drugs and homosexuality" and want to pull the plug on the show. The case was rejected in Moscow court but now the lawyer will bring the case to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.

RIA Novosti: Russian takes 'The Simpsons' to European court

AFP Photo

A Russian lawyer who says the US animated television satire "The Simpsons" has caused moral harm to his son plans to petition the European Court of Human Rights after a Russian court rejected his case for the show to be removed from prime-time viewing slots.

The lawyer, Igor Smykov, charged that the popular program, syndicated in many countries around the world, spread "propaganda of violence, cruelty, drugs and homosexuality," but a spokeswoman for the Moscow court that heard his case confirmed it was rejected.

Smykov, quoted by the RIA-Novosti news agency, said he would take his case to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Totally ridiculous
. This lawyer obviously don´t have any sense of humour. I hope this case will be rejected in Strasbourg as well. I´m a fan of The Simpsons. I feel sorry for his son.

[edit on 2005/11/26 by Hellmutt]

HE CAN'T DO THAT! THEY'RE THE SIMPSONS! PEOPLE IN EUROPE WILL FIGHT THIS GUY, LIKE THEY'D FIGHT HIM OVER BSB! TRUST ME! STUPID LAWYER! Brainwashed into "loving" communism and all. Sorry, but the man is a very old, idoit! I was a kid and was watching the show like 16 years ago. What's your fav simpson quotes?

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I didn't read anywhere there exactly what The Simpsons did to his son or family but this reminds me of the lil boy who killed himself over a video game.

This man is the only one responsible for any "moral" infliction this cartoon caused on his family. Aren't parents supposed to monitor what their children watch ? I think so, so IMO there is no case and he should be ashamed for allowing a child to watch an adult's show as I too believe The Simpson's is not for children.

Turn off the damn TV! Censor the channels the children have access to, it is not hard, gee. It just kills me how people like this want sympathy ... here they gets none

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
I didn't read anywhere there exactly what The Simpsons did to his son or family but this reminds me of the lil boy who killed himself over a video game.

This man is the only one responsible for any "moral" infliction this cartoon caused on his family. Aren't parents supposed to monitor what their children watch ? I think so, so IMO there is no case and he should be ashamed for allowing a child to watch an adult's show as I too believe The Simpson's is not for children.

Turn off the damn TV! Censor the channels the children have access to, it is not hard, gee. It just kills me how people like this want sympathy ... here they gets none

I like you Jaded, even if you think BSB sucks. That's okay, I love them because I THINK they're cool. Plus, I'm the first BSB fan to actually go on to Metellica's message board and talk to one of them, I think. I think he's surprised I didn't memorize his name or anything, whatever. My parents were pretty cool, my mom let us watch it and stuff, and they're are a few times when it is too much. But me and my younger brother never did anything to sue FOX or anyone. I just think he wants a pay day and to win an election. Hey jaded you want to be my ATS board friend?

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I will say that the Simpsons is a huge NO NO in my house......Sometimes I will watch it when my son is not home, I think its a comedy FOR adults only. I do not let my son watch this show, he HAS seen it at other houses and doesnt think he is missing much, he wishes I would let him watch Southpark

I have family and friends who truly think the Simpsons is a family and kid show and dont care if the kids watch it. Some even gather the family around to watch it. I have to say from observing the behaviour of the kids in these familys its a VERY BAD idea indeed.......The kids tout "Bart-isms" all the time and are rude, mouthy and have no respect for adults. I think the Simpsons DOES promote bad behaviour in kids and show it to be funny and witty and the THING TO DO......

I think everybody has a right to do as they please so let them watch The Simpsons and let them deal with the out of control kids they have....Let them laugh at extremely smartellic rudeness of theyre kids.
The family that gathers the kids around to make a family deal of watching the Simpsons lost custody of there 15 year old.......this kid was suspected of planning a school bombing......this kid was caught having sex with an 11 yr old girl, and this kid was RAISED watching the Simpsons, and he no longer lives with his family because they CANT control him. All these years as he has mouthed off sounding like Bart Simpson his perants would chuckle at his 'cute boldness'...................the MAIN reason I banned the Simpsons from my home, is because of seeing the behaviour of children in whos homes it was the norn to watch.

My son is polite to me.........he does not treat me as if he thinks I am a moron........YET anyway
the teenage years ARE coming......but I doubt I will have as difficult a time as the perants of Simpsons watching kids, who exibet soarly lacking morals and respect for adults.

I have seen this lawsuit going on in Russia and though 'GOOD FOR THEM!! I guess if you cant control what your kids ARE watching some things should just NOT be on the air, or if you cant control it get RID of the dam TV set........and all this is coming from the mouth of a hippy chick mom who loves human rights! I am a 'let everyone choose for themselves' person, I choose to NOT participate in family watching of The Simpsons.....it is NOT for kids.......I hope the bringers of this lawsuit prevail.

[edit on 28-11-2005 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Awww U made me feel bad now (bout that post, know it was in good faith) it's not like I turn them off when I hear them or anything
I actually don't mind some of their music, just haven't heard any lately.

I agree that this guy just wants money, doesn't make no sense when I hear of things like this, just seems like these parents are trying to place blame elsewhere rather than on themselves.

Sure, what does being a board friend entail ? Care to U2U me and let me know ? I haven't been here long, still learning these things

[edit on 28-11-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Ulterior Motives

I guess business must be slow, and when a lawyer needs to drum up business, there's nothing like a high-profile "circus" case like this.

"Soon, all the world will know the name 'Igor Smykov'!"

Yep. Then, fifteen minutes from now after all the dust has settled, he can go back to his practice and add "argued a case before the European Court of Human Rights" to his resume.

For lawyers, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
I will say that the Simpsons is a huge NO NO in my house......Sometimes I will watch it when my son is not home, I think its a comedy FOR adults only. I do not let my son watch this show, he HAS seen it at other houses and doesnt think he is missing much, he wishes I would let him watch Southpark

I have family and friends who truly think the Simpsons is a family and kid show and dont care if the kids watch it. Some even gather the family around to watch it. I have to say from observing the behaviour of the kids in these familys its a VERY BAD idea indeed.......The kids tout "Bart-isms" all the time and are rude, mouthy and have no respect for adults. I think the Simpsons DOES promote bad behaviour in kids and show it to be funny and witty and the THING TO DO......

I think everybody has a right to do as they please so let them watch The Simpsons and let them deal with the out of control kids they have....Let them laugh at extremely smartellic rudeness of theyre kids.
The family that gathers the kids around to make a family deal of watching the Simpsons lost custody of there 15 year old.......this kid was suspected of planning a school bombing......this kid was caught having sex with an 11 yr old girl, and this kid was RAISED watching the Simpsons, and he no longer lives with his family because they CANT control him. All these years as he has mouthed off sounding like Bart Simpson his perants would chuckle at his 'cute boldness'...................the MAIN reason I banned the Simpsons from my home, is because of seeing the behaviour of children in whos homes it was the norn to watch.

[edit on 28-11-2005 by theRiverGoddess]

Then I'm not the out of control one, I'm the lisa one.

new topics

top topics

join