It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is This An ATSNN Joke, Or Something That Needs Fixing???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I made my first submission to ATSNN the other day and one of the U2U replies is in the screen capture below.

I think this message is a standard response from ATS when the member clicked that particular vote button. (Intro Fix)

Read that message.

An anonymous contributor has a comment your submission: (submission) (abuse) America's Death Chambers Ready For 1000th Victim. They seem to think your introduction paragraph could use improvement in structure and/or grammar.

No vote was recorded, and you can go back and edit your submission if you like. Correcting this issue may increase the changes of your submission being voted up sooner.

I think that if I'm going to be sent a message about my "structure and/or grammar", that the message generated from ATS should, at the very least, be written with proper "structure and/or grammar".

My intro looked pretty good to me.

America's Death Chambers Ready For 1000th Victim

By next week the 1000th person will be put to death by the American government since the reintroduction of the death penalty in 1976. After the 10 year hiatus on killing was over, Gary Gilmore stood before a firing squad in Utah, ready to meet his fate. And with his final words of "Let's do it", he was shot dead for his crimes.
From that day in 1977, almost 1000 people have been put to death for the benefit of American society.

And I'd do a re-write if there was some glaring error.

But the U2U reply could sure use some work.
If you don't get my point, re-read the U2U response again very carefully.

The thread is now at....
www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
No, if someone tabbed the Fix: button then you would get this u2u. its up to you as the submitter of the article to make changes if you think its needed, or you can also leave it as is. Its your call to make changes etc, if you get the "Fix" u2u. It is not mandatory

Fred

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
"An anonymous contributor has a comment your submission:"

I see, it's missing the word "about." Never noticed that before.

Zip

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

But the U2U reply could sure use some work.
If you don't get my point, re-read the U2U response again very carefully.

Do you also mean "An anonymous contributor..." (singular) vs. "They seem to think" (plural) ?

[edit on 26-11-2005 by Riwka]

Urn

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Correcting this issue may increase the changes of your submission being voted up sooner.

also the word "changes" should be "chances"

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Thanks for getting back so fast, but I think you missed my point.

It's the missing words and the incorrect word (or spelled wrong) that kills me. It should read......

An anonymous contributor has a comment on your submission: (submission) (abuse) America's Death Chambers Ready For 1000th Victim. They seem to think your introduction paragraph could use improvement in structure and/or grammar.

A no vote was recorded, and you can go back and edit your submission if you like. Correcting this issue may increase the chances of your submission being voted up sooner.

I might just be picking nits, but this message comes from ATS and should be properly written. If only for the reason that the message concerns a critique of the author's structure and/or grammar.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   

A no vote was recorded,

It's already correct saying that "no vote was recorded" because when a "Fix" button is clicked, no "yes" or "no" votes are recorded.

Zip

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   

this message comes from ATS and should be properly written. If only for the reason that the message concerns a critique of the author's structure and/or grammar.

Out of curiosity are you more concerned about errors in an ATS u2u or about expressing your anger about receiving such a u2u.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Out of curiosity are you more concerned about errors in an ATS u2u or about expressing your anger about receiving such a u2u.

I have no animosity over receiving the message. It was the message itself that made me laugh, and I thought it should be corrected.

And Zipdot, I see your point, and stand corrected. I didn't realize that.......

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   

They seem to think your introduction paragraph could use improvement in structure and/or grammar.

I always thought that it should read "your introductory paragraph..." or simply "your introduction..."
But then again, I've been getting a lot of "NO: writing" votes lately...

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Just a hint here for our new contributors. Use a word processor to double check your submissions before submission and make sure you use the grammar checker it will catch a lot of things you miss. If you do you will find you will not get alot of u2s as mentioned.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The message is generated from code that creates the U2U from three different conditional statements. Each statement on its own reads okay, but not when combined... at least in some cases. It's been refiend.

However, if you're curious about the reason, your initial submission contained two paragraphs. The guidelines are right next to the submission form field: "Introduction paragraph: A single properly formatted paragraph as a summary of the story you're submitting in your own words. Do not copy-and-paste material from the online news article your sourcing. Minimal intro paragraphs will not be accepted."

I hope that at least clears up the reason for the "fix" indication.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   

America's Death Chambers Ready For 1000th Victim

By next week the 1000th person will be put to death by the American government since the reintroduction of the death penalty in 1976. After the 10 year hiatus on killing was over, Gary Gilmore stood before a firing squad in Utah, ready to meet his fate. And with his final words of "Let's do it", he was shot dead for his crimes.
From that day in 1977, almost 1000 people have been put to death for the benefit of American society.

And I'd do a re-write if there was some glaring error.

It's probably a done deal by now, but if I were voting on this submission, I would request the author to fix that last sentence so that it is formatted correctly.

[edit on 2005/11/27 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

join