It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Did You Shop Black Friday?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I find this disgusting and refuse to myself.

The potential for people to really display all of the worst imaginable characteristics of and towards fellow human beings during this slug fest/shopping free for all makes me sick.

Here is a link to my local news. I am sure all of you have had the same phenomenon and I encourage you to do the same (send links).

www.local6.com...

Line jumpers at a Best Buy at the Fashion Square Mall apparently started a fight at around 11:30 p.m. Officers responded and there were no arrests.

However, one person may be arrested for starting a fight at a Wal-Mart in east Orange County early Friday.

This gets worse every year. Why have we sunken to this level? I for one find no discount worth risking seeing this behavior, or being around it.

The retailers take no responsibility for this, they just keep making it worse year after year by coming up with more and more "can't miss this" sales and giveaways having no intention of accomodating the numbers of people they KNOW are going to show up.

What happened to Christmas? UGH!

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I went shopping, if people want to act like idiots, I won't let it stop me from going out and doing this. I don't go just for the bargain, I go because I think it's fun. I haven't seen a single fight yet.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
It's worse than a Cincinnati Who concert in some places.

FOr some reason, the retailers get away with offering massive savings on an item, but then only stock 20 or 30 of them.
It used to be called bait -n switch. But now, there is no switch. So I guess it's legal. LOL

It's a setup for a potential disaster.

HOWEVER!
I am actually all for it.
The idiots, who get up a 4am, to go shopping with 1000's of other idiots..
It's a setup, for a potential Darwin Award..

oh, I didn't answer the question.
NO, I did not go shopping.

[edit on 26-11-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I went to TJ Maxx and started grabbing everything in sight- Then left it all except for one sweater. LOL...

This is my way of joining the crowd and having people say wow
she must have money!!!!

Luckily i got out before i could get mazed.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Oh wow, dgtempe, this is genius! Why didn't I think of that?

I did not go shopping. But now I want to go to the store and just grab any products off the shelves and drop them all around the store. Then exit the store without buying anything. You think they would tazer me if I did that?

On the other hand, I saw in TV news the people rushing the door and trampling each other just to buy toys. They looked like monkeys, so that's why I don't want to participate in this.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
No freaking way! I don't even leave the HOUSE until at least evening time on Black Friday.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I was going to make a post on this subject because I think this is such a sad reflection on our society.

And it happened at at least 4 different places, probably more, just didnt make National headlines.

In one story that I read the shoppers started protesting and shouting:

"We Need To Shop ........We Need To Shop"

This is sad.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I was actually going to go to the store for one thing then I saw the morning news and they reminded me of what day it was and I decided I didn't need the $10 difference in the price from regular that much. I couldn't believe what I saw on the news later that night though - unreal.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   

So Did You Shop Black Friday?

Just two words:

HA'YL NO!

Nothing, and I mean nothing, is worth that madness. Free Plasma's or 60" DLP's MAY get me to do it, but nothing much else would...

[edit on 28-11-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think I bought a bottle of liquor since I finished all of mine on Thanksgiving

Other than stuff like that, never...the Friday after Thanksgiving is for lounging around grazing on leftovers and watching tv.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I went shopping on Black Friday, we were up at 4am, at Circuit City by 4:45am. They were orderly, gave out donuts and juice. I got my 2 gameboy bundles, then went to Kaybee toy store, and completed my x-mas shopping for all the kids in the family. My cousin and I then had a leisurely breakfast in the mall and took advantage of sales at the Gap, Banana Republic, Aeropostale, the Sports Authority and a few other stores. We both completed all of our christmas shopping by noon on Friday.

The key to shopping on black friday, is having a plan, knowing exactly what you want, knowing when the stores are open and sticking to your plan. It also helps to have a shopping buddy. One person heads straight for the registers and gets on line, while the other picks up the stuff.

I've done it for the past 3 years and will continue to do it.

Also never ever ever be in the front of the line. I don't care what the sale the is, I would never stand in the front to be the first set to rush in.

In our local news, one 79 year old fell and got walked on trying to get into Brandsmart. And in Orlando, there was a fight for cheap laptops ....even with the isolated incidents of madness I'd do again. Guess you can say I'm a little mad too

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Well, my bride and one of her girlfriends got up at 0400 and were waiting when some of the stores in the local mall opened at 0500. She got back at 0900, told me that she'd spent $200 to buy stuff marked at $450 (that she'd had her eyes on anyway), and then crashed out, leaving me to do all the Thanksgiving dishes and clean up the house.

I still think I got the better of the deal.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I have all my Christmas shopping done by Halloween.
I HATE the crowds after that. I HATE being around
people pushing, shoving, stinking of the sweat of the
'great-deal' hunt. Shopping after Halloween screws
up my Christmas spirit. It makes me forget what
Christmas is about. So I get all the commercial
aspects done long before, so I can concentrate on
the spiritual reasons for Christmas during the season.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I've discovered that if you start your shopping on about the 23rd of December, you can beat the crowds and get some great deals.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Zaphod,
Great!
that means you'll be able to get me that beef jerky and Bic lighter I've always wanted?

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
What gets me is these incidents of less than commendable human behavior increase every year. It's disgusting and I refuse to be a part of it. The vendors themselves KNOW they are jeopardizing people by offerring these outrageous sales without stocking enough of the items that are causing the frenzy to satisfy the number of people who show up for them.

I really think it's time for a boycott of the offending stores on Black Friday to get them to get their act together, and stop putting their greed behind the safety of their patrons.

new topics

top topics

join