It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl dies from Kiss.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This story makes me feel sad.
A teenage girl in Quebec who had a peanut allergy died after kissing her boyfriend who had just eaten a peanut butter sandwich.

www.ctv.ca

Teenager with peanut allergy dies after a kiss

A Quebec teenager with a peanut allergy has died after kissing her boyfriend who had eaten a peanut butter sandwich hours earlier.

Fifteen-year-old Christina Desforges died Monday. She went into anaphylactic shock and in spite of being given an adrenalin shot, could not be revived.

Pediatric allergist Karen Sigman told CTV's Tania Krywiak if peanuts are still on the tongue or the lips, they can still cause a reaction.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow, I had no idea people with peanut allergies were so sensitive. I remember a lot of complaining when peanut butter was being banned from schools and some restaurants. I can really understand why when the allergies are so sensitive and so lethal.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
wow, that is unbelieveable. I'm in shock. I didn't know that peanut allergies were that bad, I guess some people are more sensitive then others, I thought it was as minor as being lactose intolerant.

Her boyfriend's probably taking this really hard. He's probably going to be asking his future girlfriends if they're allergic to peanuts, he's going to have this on his shoulder's the rest of his life. Poor fella. I hope he doesn't kill himself.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Geez...thats so sad isnt it.

imagine how the poor guy feels...having dealt the kiss of death?

what a shame.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It must be really hard to have a allergy like this. It's like being allergic to bee stings. You get stung and you are in a heap of trouble.

I've found a bit of information regarding peanut allergies on the net.

www.allergyasthma.on.ca...

Factors Which May Contribute To Fatal Peanut Reactions

A. Failure Of Institutions

* Incomplete or inadequate labelling of foods or packages thereof
* Ignorance of food allergy problems by restaurants, school personnel, etc.
* Non-availability of medications or resuscitation equipment or inappropriate use thereof
* Having peanut products in the home or school lunchroom of a peanut sensitive individual
* Peanuts may be altered and sold as walnuts, almonds or pecans

B. Failure To Prevent Problem

* Failure to always read food labels carefully
* Not always inquiring about contents of foods regardless of where prepared
* Trying to taste a tiny bit of an unknown but suspected food to see if it contains peanut
* Sharing foods or utensils
* Obtaining foods from others when the contents may be unknown
* Relying on the service personnel in restaurants instead of the chef
* Kissing someone or being kissed by someone who has eaten peanut products

C. Failure To Identify Problem

* Failure to appreciate that minimal amounts of peanut material can kill
* Minimization of, or denial of, symptoms of previous non-fatal reactions
* Failure to speak out when one even suspects that a reaction may be occurring
* Not wearing a bracelet showing "Allergy To Peanut"

D. Failure Of Treatment

* Failure to carry and know how to use in-date epinephrine (Epi-Pen®, Ana-Kit ®) at all times. (In some cases, failure of a caregiver to understand fully or to administer this.) It is often wise to have a child's picture on the epinephrine container.
* Failure to use epinephrine immediately for a peanut reaction
* Failure to have a second epinephrine dose available if necessary
* Attempting to use an oral antihistamine alone to control symptoms
* Failure to be taken to a nearby hospital quickly after epinephrine use
* Impaired awareness of potential peanut product due to alcohol or other drug influence
* Taking Beta-Blocking Medications (check with a physician or pharmacist)

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Wow, i didnt know this could happen. One last kiss.

How very sad.

Well, i suppose we should ask when we kiss someone if we have this type of allergy. Live and learn.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Yeah, well, I know plenty of guys who almost died because their date wouldn't kiss them! It's not pretty!

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Why was this thread moved from the general chit chat forum?

It's kind of hard to figure out where to post things at around here.

Not complaining, just a bit overwhelmed and con fused.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
But yes this story makes me sad as well.

As a father of two daughters I can not even begin to imagine the pain and grief that they must be going through right now.

I do know that some airlines have stopped serving peanuts due to fear of other passengers having allegeric reactions from the smell of them. And admittedly, I allways felt that it was just a bunch of BS.

But now I read this.

This is so sad, a young life taken away because of an act of love. My heart goes out to her parents.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Classified Info
Why was this thread moved from the general chit chat forum?

I posted it here in "Global News Discussion", this thread has never been moved.

It's kind of hard to figure out where to post things at around here.

Just try your best. If mods think it is in the wrong spot they will move it.
(Disclaimer: I'm not a mod. This is just my observation
).

This is one of those stories that makes you look at life and realize that it is short, and we should try our best to make the best of it.
From what I understand being dead is quite boring .

[edit on 26/11/2005 by Umbrax]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Oh my gosh what a sad and tragic story. My heart sincerely goes out to the girls family. However, I especially feel for the girl's boyfriend. At the risk of sounding heartless, I must say that if the girl's peanut allergy was this severe, I can only surmise that it was only a matter of time until she encountered peanuts or foods that had come into contact with peanuts. It's amazing how widely used peanuts, and their by-products, are used. I don't mean to minimize the profound loss that her parents have experienced. This is a loss that is simply catastrophic for them.

My heart simply aches for the poor young man -- the boyfriend. He will carry a sense of guilt with him for the rest of his life. For him, I can only imagine that this will be nothing short of traumatic and could easily result in post traumatic stress disorder -- a serious mental disturbance. I pray the young man can forgive himself and not carry his remorse as a blot upon his young conscience.

Again, I can only say that I am strangely moved by the circumstance of this tragic story. My condolences for all concerned.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I almost dated a girl who was deathly allergic to milk. I'm a milk adict.

It wouldn't have worked.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
A thought occured to me earlier.

She was 15. This could've easily been either hers and/or the guys first kiss. Can you imagine how tragic that alone would be, for either of them? This boy isn't going to ever want to touch a girl again, not without therapy.:shk:

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The girl died from an asthma attack, not from peanut butter kiss.

www.canada.com

The infamous peanut butter kiss originally thought to have killed a Quebec girl had nothing to do with her death, a coroner revealed Thursday.

Christina Desforges died from an asthma attack after "physical exertion" with her boyfriend, not from an allergic reaction to a peanut butter-laced kiss, said coroner Michel Miron.

The 15-year-old girl stopped breathing in the early morning hours of Nov. 20, 2005, after kissing her boyfriend. He had eaten two pieces of toast with peanut butter about nine hours earlier.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Im sure this still haunts the boy to no end, but this has to provide aittle closure for himself. Very tragic event, I remember reading about this when it first happened.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
This is very sad.

My condolences to the boy, and the girls family.

Mechanic 32.

top topics

join