It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian Air Force : News, Pics and Discussion thread

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Stealth spy.

Are these 18 planes going to get repalced by MKIs or are they going to leave a 18 plane gap ?. If they dont get repalced it will mean by 2017 india will have only 172 planes instead of the 190 it was expected to have.

Maybe the MRCA deal is being enlarged to take care of that

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Your guess is as good as mine on that one, however IMHO the MKI license might be extended to 18 more than the initial value.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I dont like the way india handles contracts. they buy these massive contracts and their stuck with them for a decade or in some cases even longer. The MKI is a fine plane for its day but 10 or even five years down the line its going to show its age.

With the MKI there comes the contract for the AL-31FP engine which in 10 years time is going to be obsolete comapred to what you could have got and you have a contract for 920 of them. Any plans where its more flexible?. In the long run you could have a increasing older airforce. Dont you agree that the indian airforce should be more cautious in its approch?

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I dont have any issues with the way projects are being managed by the IAF. There is a lot of room for flexibiity. The MKI contract bears testymony to this. The contract was periodically modified ( details )to its present form and is still open to changes.

In addition, the peresent MKI Mark-3 does not represent the saturation on development. Infact there is the Irbis radar in the works which will get into the MKI Mk.4(?) in ~2010. (also covered in the same link)

There are all those new devlopments on the Su-35 BM like the Khibini 500 ECM pod, active cancellation pods, new avionics, new AESA radars, RAM, composite body panes that may find their way into the MKI in 10 to 15 years in the future.

The actual contract on the Al-31FP's is for 1200 engines for local production with tech transfer. Again, these contracts are not water tight and can be modified or suspended mid-way. The money for the licenses to produce an X number of engines is paid in batches as and when the engines are produced.

Sure every piece of technology gets outdated and obsolete one day or the other, and must be replenished. The IAF has shown this over the years and there is no reason this cant be continued in the future. Projects in the pipeline for the next decade on are 5th gen planes like MCA/5th gen project with Russia. More immediate ones are LCA, MRCA, new attack and transport copters, further marks of the MKI, etc.

If I did have an issue it would be the way tenders are being handled by the Defence ministry - i would like to see less emphasis on red tape, kick backs, corruption, political lobbying, etc

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Firstly I would say that 8 years is not a long time for a plane to be in service so I don't get why these MK's should be 'battered'? 20-30 years is an average lifespan for a service fighter.

This also ties in with your point chinawhite, about them showing their age 10 years down the line. No country has a bottomless pit with which to replace its frontline aircraft every five years or so, it just doesn't happen anywhere. For an example of a country trying to 'keep up' at every single stage of development and getting it wrong you could look into the aviation policy of my own country, Great Britain, during the 1950's.

Rather than competing with the F-86/MiG 15 with the Hawker P1083, which Australia really wanted, we canned it because the Hunter promised more performance, the result being the RAF (and Australia) were flying obsolete planes at the time of the Korean war because the Hunter was still in development. in the mid fifties when both Hawker and Supermarine were in a position to riival the F-100 and MiG 19 the govt again said no because the mach 2 Lightning was underdevelopment; result, the RAF entered the 1960's operating front line interceptors with a speed of just 700 mph when everyone else was supersonic. The moral being that at some point you have to just go ahead and buy something because if you coninually await the next big development you actually end up doing the opposite and getting left behind.

The MKI actually has plenty of life in it and will still be a potent fighter in 15 years time.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Firstly I would say that 8 years is not a long time for a plane to be in service so I don't get why these MK's should be 'battered'? 20-30 years is an average lifespan for a service fighter.

My apologies - i was only refering to its external appearence thanks to an overdue paint job for some Su-30K's

www.bharat-rakshak.com...

Otherwise they have lots of life left in them - as they showed the F-16's at this year's Cope India 2006 and the French Mirage 2000-5 in the Garuda 2 exercises of 2005, and that's why Belarus is buying them.

A better paint job can make the K's look a lot better.

larger & better :
x3.putfile.com...
x3.putfile.com...

______

Just take a look at how the Su-30K looks here :

and here :

[edit on 4-2-2006 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
The MKI contract bears testymony to this. The contract was periodically modified ( details )to its present form and is still open to changes.

I read the article and the contract which was signed was inclusive of the Irbis radar but wasn't modifled but it seems like the MKI contract was signed with that in mind. But thats no my point. My point is the indians should have made smaller contracts where each aircraft incorperated new developments which had been made. The thing i hate about contracts is some development breakthoughs have happened and your stuck building older planes.

The actual contract on the Al-31FP's is for 1200 engines for local production with tech transfer. Again, these contracts are not water tight and can be modified or suspended mid-way.

1200 engines?. The figure normally stated is for 920 engines. But these engines are only 2D engines which go up and down. When the contract was signed this is probaly the best TVC avabile in 2-3 years later we now have 3D TVC which is better because it can move in all directions instead of placing the engines inward to have that effect as on the MKI

Supposly the Mig-35 is a technically superior to the MKI which design is not even that old

If I did have an issue it would be the way tenders are being handled by the Defence ministry - i would like to see less emphasis on red tape, kick backs, corruption, political lobbying, etc

For the MRCA tender the Mirage 2000 was dropped how do you think it will effect the MRCA ladder now seeing as how the airforces favourite aircraft has been eliminated. Spilt deal of Mig-35 and F-18s or something more different seeing as how the EF and rafale has now entered the race after so long?.

It seems strange that when the MRCA deal was announced the EF and rafale didn't parcipate but now they suddenly entered. Whats up with that. maybe the contract is draggin on the airfroce is looking for a higher performace aircraft since both the EF and rafale were built as a multi-role aircraft

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynosThis also ties in with your point chinawhite, about them showing their age 10 years down the line.

What im saying about the contract thing is your building these aircraft on a contract for this amount of money while in the free market these technologies are quite cheap and your paying more than what you can pay for them.

When i was thinking this i was thinking about my phone contract. Im paying $50 a month for 24 months but i can now buy the phone for 300 instead of my 1200 i am now paying

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite some development breakthoughs have happened and your stuck building older planes.

Well the MKI is still the 'difinitive flanker' presently so as to say. Flight International had an article recently about the new Russian Al-41F engine, which it says will power future MKI's. The article says that India has alredy "shown interest" in this engine that is claimed to supercruise the MKI and give it 3D TVC capability like the Mig-35.

Like i said the deal for the Al-31FP engines can be upgraded and is not a water tight thing. the contract might well get modified to make 41F's instead of 31FP's.

This happened in the past as well - the local production deal for baseline Al-31F's was upgraded to include the TVC developments of the 31FP.

The same goes for radars and avionics. Infact the Irbis that will come out in 2010 will get into the newer MKI's instead of the Bars N011M.

New developments will continously be incorporated into the newer MKI's that roll out as per the needs and decesions of the air force and associated entities.

I dont think that your notion that 'the MKI's that will come out in 2010+ will have the same level of technology as today's MKI's' is correct. The development and evolution of the MKI's is by no way complete. The Su-30 MKI itself (excluding the Su-30MK and Su-30K) has progressed from Mk.1 to Mk.2 to Mk.3 in barely 5 years with each variant incorporating new developments. IMHO this will continue in the years to come (provided all goes well w.r.t money and will)

1200 engines?. The figure normally stated is for 920 engines. But these engines are only 2D engines which go up and down. When the contract was signed this is probaly the best TVC avabile in 2-3 years later we now have 3D TVC which is better because it can move in all directions instead of placing the engines inward to have that effect as on the MKI

Yes 1200 engines :

India's Defence Minister George Fernandes laid the foundation stone of a new HAL factory at Sunabeda (20 kms from Koraput, Orissa) on Dec 15, 2002. This brand new facility is licenced to produce 1200 AL-31FPs. It is said that the manufacture of the AL-31FP engine "involved 31 new technologies required to be adopted and mastered" (Outlookindia.com).

link

920 engines were added to the existing contract for 280 engines in the 3rd deal in the year 2000. Full technology transfer of these engines was also included in the very deal :

In December 2000, the deal was sealed in Russia at the IAPO factory. The deal combines license production with full technology transfer and hence called a 'Deep License'. For instance, HAL Koraput will also produce 920 AL-31FP engines, while the mainframe and other accessories will be manufactured at HAL's Lucknow and Hyderabad Divisions. Final integration of the aircraft and its test flight would be carried out at HAL's Ozhar (Nasik) Division.

For the MRCA tender the Mirage 2000 was dropped how do you think it will effect the MRCA ladder now seeing as how the airforces favourite aircraft has been eliminated. Spilt deal of Mig-35 and F-18s or something more different seeing as how the EF and rafale has now entered the race after so long?. It seems strange that when the MRCA deal was announced the EF and rafale didn't parcipate but now they suddenly entered. Whats up with that. maybe the contract is draggin on the airfroce is looking for a higher performace aircraft since both the EF and rafale were built as a multi-role aircraft

Quite honestly i think the MRCA tender has gone out of control. What was initially a tender for 126 everyday mirages or fulcrums with everyday slotted array radars suddenly got derailed after the 10 year defence pact with the US. LM and Boeing soon came out offering F/A-18's and "custom block 70" F-16's with AESA radars, active cancellation units, and all other bells and whistles prompting the Russians to throw in 3D TVC, AESA, include custom avioincs like the MKI, etc to their offer as well. Sensing their chance at 10 billion $ sweepstakes the Eurofighter and Rafale consortiums made their move calling their planes "a generation higher than the rest". And now it appears that the Mirage has exited as it stands no chance against the rest citing some flimsy excuse. It looks like Dassualt will throw their weight behind the Rafale now.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I dont think that your notion that 'the MKI's that will come out in 2010+ will have the same level of technology as today's MKI's' is correct.

You dont get my point in this. ill give you the example i gave waynos

When i was thinking this i was thinking about my phone contract. Im paying $50 a month for 24 months but i can now buy the phone for 300 instead of my 1200 i am now paying

The different block MKI are already incorpated inot the original argument where new developments were already prepared for the MKI. eg. the first ones will recieve this as a stop gap but when the one in development is finished it will be added as the scheule progesses.

Ok. sudden breakthrough in radar technologies makes the Irbis radar cheaper than what the indian are buying. Because your already on a contract you dont take advantage of this new thing. Avonics are also different because avonics are made to suit the processor. If a new processor comes out your avonics possibliy couldn't use it and to make use of these new technolgies you would have to get new avonics fitted.

Long contracts with pre-planned technology routes single batch purchases using technology just made avabile

Well the MKI is still the 'difinitive flanker' presently so as to say. Flight International had an article recently about the new Russian Al-41F engine, which it says will power future MKI's

Well it might be the "difinitive flanker" today but flanker has lost much of its potency to me since the 4.5:1 vs the EF. Being a older design the russiasn are just adding new technology to a old fighter. Its just like adding a new engine into a toyota cotrolla. its still using older technology.

About the AL-41 its about a 1.2:1 ratio compared to the AL-31F and i think the AL-31FP is just a little smaller at 1.15:1. This is according data i googled before. so its off my head. While being a newer andmore powerful plane it will most probaly be more expensive to build and use according to my theory that more thrust = more fuel used. The AL-41 should be concentrated to a small lighter platform where its dry thrust could be better used. If used on the MKI it might probaly have supercruise with clean confriguration because of its sheer size and weight let alone combat mission. Something i read is that the most fuel used is when you in the 900-1000km speed region so if it does and doesn't reach beyond mach 1 it could use even more fuel.

More promise should be on a ligther EF sized plane with one engine or a plane as big as the F-22 with two engines. With even one engine it could probaly make a single engined PAK-FA supercruise because of its 14,500kg thrust. thast massive and when on a smaller plane in the range of about 15-17 ton aircraft combat load would maybe make it go over mach 1 and dry maybe over mach one a little bit. But all this is the specualted AL-41 thrust

Quite honestly i think the MRCA tender has gone out of control. What was initially a tender for 126 everyday mirages or fulcrums with everyday slotted array radars

Thats what happens when anything gets dragged on. I had a budget of 2,000 but ended spending 3,000 just because of these new releases in power and memory. i couldn't help myself because i was attracted to better performance.

Well that is the natural human urge to want the best and most problay the EF and rafale have a good chance because of this. The Mig-35 to me doesn't seem like a good idea. its got TVC and what else?.

What it needs is a nice platform like the F-18 which is a lot more better technologicly advanced with AESA and it would suit the multi-roled requirment plus a bonus is its the USNs number one plane. I heard there were protest in idnia because of the US secruity pact

But im more inclined to a spilt deal to satify both parties

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Russia to upgrade 67 IAF MiG-29's for $888 million

Full Article >>
Tuesday, 07 February , 2006, 12:10
New Delhi: India's fleet of 67 MiG-29 multi-role fighters are all set to be refurbished for $888 million by Russian company RSK-MiG.

"The programme is part of the Indian Air Force's long-term plan to modernise its fighter fleet with the aim of expanding its strategic reach, firepower and area of responsibility over the next decade as India's burgeoning economy and regional importance proliferate," a senior IAF officer said.

The upgraded MiG-29s will remain in service for 10-15 years. The programme includes fitting the MiG-29s with upgraded weapons and a new avionics suite, with the old N-019 radar being replaced by the Phazatron Zhuk-M radar. The MiG-29s will also be upgraded for mid-air refuelling to increase their endurance.

I hope they replace the smoky RD-33's with the newer variants of the same engine with 3D all aspect TVC, smoke free & anti-corossion chamber (seen on the Mig-35) as well.

I also hope this does not imply death to the Mig-35 in the MRCA.

The IAF is currently refurbishing 125 MiG-21 Bis and 40 MiG-27ML fighters. These two jets are being equipped with advanced avionics, improved electronic warfare systems and precision weaponry to boost the IAF's ageing combat fleet that also faces a sharp reduction in numbers over the next decade.

RSK-MiG will independently source the equipment that the IAF will select for fitting on the jets. In addition, it will carry out life-extension checks on the upgraded multi-role fighters that were first inducted into the IAF in 1986.

"The avionics architecture that the IAF is firming up will be a mix-and-match of Russian, local and imported systems that are likely to be sourced from France, Israel and possibly even the US
," the official added.

Meanwhile, state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)Managing Director KP Puri recently said that 94 of 125 MiG-21s had been upgraded to the MiG 21 'Bison' standard at the HAL complex at Nasik. The remaining 29 jets would be upgraded by the end of the year.

US avionics on Russian jets - now that'd be a first.

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:53 AM
link   

NEW DELHI, FEBRUARY 6: In an indisputable sign that Indo-Israeli defence ties have matured, the governments of both countries have signed their first-ever joint weapons development contract to design and produce the Barak-II next-generation air defence missiles.

The Barak-II will be jointly developed by the Israeli Aircraft Industries (IAI), the Barak programme’s secondary integrator Rafael and by the Hyderabad-based Defence Research & Development Laboratories (DRDL), with the two countries splitting the approximately $330 million kick-start investment.

DRDO sources told Express, ‘‘It will be based on the original Barak, but we will work together for longer range, a more refined seeker, a long-range target-tracking system, better downlinking capabilities and possibly a new propulsion system and payload capacity.’’ In a phased manner, the Barak-I and the Barak-II missiles will replace the ageing Russian OSA-M and Volna RZ-31 missiles. Sources pointed to the inherent advantage of the Barak family’s digital systems over the analog computers that guide the Russian missiles.

Israeli efficiency is also a factor as compared to the traditional delays of dealing with the Russians

Full Article >>

I dunno much about the last sentence, but this is an mega development.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   

India ranks high on the list of countries ordering fighter jets, having set aside a budget of eight billion US dollars for 126 aircraft, said Mr Bob Kemp, Sales and Marketing Director of Gripen International here today.

He said Gripen was offering its jets to the Indian Air Force with most flexibility, allowing India to select its own arsenal systems. The deal would also come with most flexible financing scheme to be supported by the Swedish government. ''Our aircrafts are most suitable to replace India’s Mig-21,'' he said, expecting India to place an order of 126 jets with one specific international company. Gripen and the Swidesh government would not have any objection to India adding its own systems to the aircraft, the technology of which is just about 10 years old compared with the American and other fighter jets, some of which were built based on 30 to 40 years old technology.

According to Mr Kemp, India would also be seeking 100 more fighter jets during the second round of Air Force building programme. This would make India the largest buyers of fighter jets.

Full >>

SAAB seem pretty serious about selling the Gripen

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
LOL ... Chinese destroyer spooked

NEW DELHI: In a remarkable act of long-range maritime snooping, the Navy's reconnaissance aircraft and spy drones detected, tracked and photographed a spanking new Chinese destroyer and a tanker traversing through the Indian Ocean region this weekend. Sources said the newly-commissioned Sovremenny class destroyer, built for the People’s Liberation Army (Navy) at Russia’s St Petersburg-based North Shipyard, was "picked up" as soon as it entered the Arabian Sea from the Red Sea.

A Tupolev-142M long-range maritime patrol aircraft, flying from the Goa naval airbase, spotted the Chinese destroyer and the accompanying tanker off Yemen’s Socotra Island, located east of the Gulf of Aden, almost 2,300 km away from the Indian mainland. "The TU-142M, with its long-range cameras, photographed the destroyer carrying out underway replenishment or refuelling from the tanker," said sources.

Once the Chinese warships were pinpointed, the Navy kept them under constant surveillance throughout their passage in the Indian Ocean on way to South China Sea. Apart from TU-142Ms, Ilyushin-38s and Israeli Searcher and Heron UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) were deployed to keep track of the two ships. This, incidentally, is the second time in recent months that the Navy has caught the Chinese on the high seas. In December, a TU-142M had photographed two new Chinese submarines near the Cape of Good Hope. The destroyer, tracked by the Navy, was handed over to China on December 28.
Full Article >>

Hmmm...might not be the best idea to take to adventureism with a brand new month old destroyer.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I have figured out that the Gripen is being marketed to India by BAe (given that they own >45% of SAAB Aero). BAe also happens to be the same company that is pushing the Typhoon in the MRCA tender.

I wouldn't be surprised if BAe gives the Gripen (which anyway is&was a long shot) 'step-motherly' treatment and throw their weight behind their 'own child'

Any thoughts ?

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
The Mig-35 to me doesn't seem like a good idea. its got TVC and what else?.

> 6000 hr airframe life
> AESA radar (with the option of Russian/Israeli/British AESA radar)
> Custom avionics and weapons fit
> New FBW system with laser ring gyroscopes/Inertial Navigation Systems
> Greater "depth" of the tech transfer

MiG-35 considered favorite at India's fighter tender

MOSCOW. Jan 30 (Interfax-AVN) - The MiG-35 multi-role fighter has the best chances to be selected as the winner in the Indian tender on acquisition of up to 200 light future-generation combat aircraft, a source in the international military-technical cooperation sphere told Interfax-Military News Agency Monday.

"Licensing of active phased array airborne radars production to India is the prerequisite for tenderers who wish to be selected. It is exactly because of this condition in the tender dossier that almost all tenderers, who submitted applications initially, refused to continue the participation," the source said.

According to him, the U.S. came with its F-16 fighter with an active phased array radar, but is reluctant to issue a license to India for radar production. That is why the F-16's further participation in the tender is not yet certain.

The French Mirage 2000-5 does not meet the technical specifications of the tender in full, the source went on. "Only the French Rafale is equipped with an active phased-array radar, but it has not been submitted for the tender. Moreover, the French are not eager to hand over technologies either," he said.

Sweden's Gripen will most likely fail to satisfy the Indians either, as assembling the aircraft Sweden depends much on very close cooperation with suppliers from other countries.

He also said that the main advantage of the Russian side is the readiness to hand over all manufacturing technologies on the aircraft to the customer.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Russia has transferred to India an upgraded Il-38SD anti-submarine airplane, Defense News reports. This is the first of three airplanes which have undergone upgrade at Russian enterprises.

During the upgrade, they equipped the airplane with the newest avionics complex and armament. In particular, the “Sea Dragon” search and targeting complex, which was developed at the St. Peterburg Leninets enterprise, has been installed on the airplane.

The “Sea Dragon” is able to keep track simultaneously of more than 30 targets which are located at a distance up to 320 kilometers. It is able to detect ships, submarines and even mines and aerial targets. The complex can be linked to the GLONASS satellite navigation system.

The cost of the upgrade of one airplane was 35 million dollars. The contract for the upgrade of the three airplanes was signed in 2002. The BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles will also be installed on the Indian Il-38SD's.
Source: 19.01.06, Lenta.RU

With such an impressive upgrade, the "no" to the P-3C offer is quite understandable. With the BrahMos included as well, the Il-38's will be some mean maritime airplane

[edit on 13-2-2006 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   

The Samara Motorstroitel’ plant will deliver 6 NK-12MPT engines for the Indian’s Tu-142 anti-submarine airplanes, the newspaper Vedomosti has reported with a reference to the enterprises representative. In the opinion of experts, conclusion of the contract with Mashinostroitels’ may signify the start of the upgrade program for the Indian Tu-142.

In 1986
, eight Tu-142MK anti-submarine airplanes with the Tu-142MEh designation were delivered to India which were built at the Taganrog aviation plant. These airplanes were equipped with the “Korshun-K” search and targeting anti-submarine system, which included the MMS-106 towed magnetometer and the “Nerchinsk” hydrologic reconnaissance apparatus.

All these airplanes require major overhaul, during which they are supposed to equip them with new aircraft equipment and the upgraded NK-12MP turboprop engines with the AV-60T props and to install new weapons systems. The Taganrog Aviation (TAVIA) enterprise is the lead on this program. According to other information, Russia has held up this program because of Israel’s interference
, who has offered India’s air force the upgrade of the Tu-142 maritime patrol airplanes in accordance with a trilateral agreement with Russia.

Source: excrept from 13.02.06, ARMS-TASS

So the Tu-142 are getting the much needed upgrade. This in addition to the upgrade on the Il-38's will perhaps take care of the anti-sub/ship role till a new gen (P-8 MMA ?) airplane fills their space.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   

LOL ... Chinese destroyer spooked

NEW DELHI: In a remarkable act of long-range maritime snooping, the Navy's reconnaissance aircraft and spy drones detected, tracked and photographed a spanking new Chinese destroyer and a tanker traversing through the Indian Ocean region this weekend. Sources said the newly-commissioned Sovremenny class destroyer, built for the People’s Liberation Army (Navy) at Russia’s St Petersburg-based North Shipyard, was "picked up" as soon as it entered the Arabian Sea from the Red Sea.

A Tupolev-142M long-range maritime patrol aircraft, flying from the Goa naval airbase, spotted the Chinese destroyer and the accompanying tanker off Yemen’s Socotra Island, located east of the Gulf of Aden, almost 2,300 km away from the Indian mainland. "The TU-142M, with its long-range cameras, photographed the destroyer carrying out underway replenishment or refuelling from the tanker," said sources.

Once the Chinese warships were pinpointed, the Navy kept them under constant surveillance throughout their passage in the Indian Ocean on way to South China Sea. Apart from TU-142Ms, Ilyushin-38s and Israeli Searcher and Heron UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) were deployed to keep track of the two ships. This, incidentally, is the second time in recent months that the Navy has caught the Chinese on the high seas. In December, a TU-142M had photographed two new Chinese submarines near the Cape of Good Hope. The destroyer, tracked by the Navy, was handed over to China on December 28.
Full Article >>

Hmmm...might not be the best idea to take to adventureism with a brand new month old destroyer.

hmm.. nice article..lots of interesting points..

1). China positioning its navy around 2 A/c carrier groups..
2)PLAN subs spotted by IN maritime recon at Cape of Good Hope.Thats 1000's of km away from the Indian coastline.

No USN sightings/findings on this?

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Pak lodges strong protest with India over violation of airspace

Friday February 17, 2006 (0453 PST)
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has lodged a strong protest with the government of India through their High Commission in Islamabad for violation of its airspace and Exclusive Economic Zone by an Indian maritime aircraft and two coast Guard Fast Patrol Crafts on February 13.

Indian Dornier maritime aircraft made a number of low altitude passes over MSS Vehdar a vessel of the Pakistan Amritime Security Agency which was engaged in patrolling and apprehending/clearing Indian fishing boats involved in poaching well inside Pakistan's Exclusive Economic Zone at position 2329N 6735E at 0300 hrs on February 13 2006.

The aircraft again made repeated low altitude passes at about 1530 hrs in approximately the same area. Thereafter, around 1645 hrs two Indian Coast Guard Fast Crafts approached MSS Vehdat at 03 Nautical Miles in a proactive posture with ammner armament pointing towards the Pakistani vessel. These Indian Fast Patrol Craft remained in the vicinity of the Pakistani vessel.

These Indian Fast Patrol Craft remained in the vicinity of the Pakistani vessel for approximately two hours befoe clearing away. A similar demarche about these violations was made by the Pakistan High Commission with the Indian Ministry of External Affairs in new Delhi.

Full Article >>

I fail to understand this "ekonomik jone in Pakistan

It appears to be pretty certain that there was something worthwile for the Indian AF/Navy to be curious about. Wonder what it was

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join