It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sounds controversial but adds up, debate it

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist06
Also there is a way to get stuck in time according to einstein.

He says that if an object that is bigger than a photon. Basically anything you can see is bigger than a photon. It will keep going back in time and repeat itself. (very complicated my friend told me) So yes I guess time travel is possible.

Huh?
No one knows what you are talking about. Could you clarify more upon this fascinating topic you have brought up?

Originally posted by electric
Time dilation has been confirmed experimentally.

When? By whom? Why?

But it's only a result of relative motion, not a physical quantity of time.

Relative to what?

If all atomic action ceases at Absolute zero (0 degrees Kelvin),

No, it does not.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty

When? By whom? Why?

Here ya go frosty: Hafele and Keating Experiment
That is what you meant, yes?

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
man its so obvious that time travel is completly impossible. i mean to go back in time your saying that some how the universe remembers the movements of every atom in the universe at any given time how the hell would that be posible if time travel existed then that means everything is predictable everything you have done and will do is recorded somewhere so therefore we have no free will at all, every action and decicion we make would be predecided. you can either have one or the other time travel or free will. traveling into the future is posible but not in a conventional way, if you travel very fast time slows down right due to relitivity so basically you experience time differently from the rest of the universe to give the ilusion that you traveled in time you may as well just go to sleep for like a hundred years that would give the same result, and obviously you cabt come back. its fiction guys give it up

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by luka1222
man its so obvious that time travel is completly impossible. ......... . .. . . .. . .. .. . . its fiction guys give it up

NO

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   

When? By whom? Why?

As previously mentioned, GPS satellites must adjust their clocks due to the effects of time dilation. If they did not do this, GPS would be inaccurate. This can be considered experimental confirmation.

If all atomic action ceases at Absolute zero (0 degrees Kelvin),

No, it does not.

Okay, that's granted. It's considered that most molecular activity ceases at absolute zero. And according to the laws of thermodynamics, absolute zero is unobtainable by any means.

There's still the issue of something being "frozen in time." That is, time is stopped by removing the motion. So how can there be such a thing as time when it cannot exist without motion?

On another subject, a simple thought experiment showed that backwards time travel is impossible. All waves traveling backwards in time create destructive interference. The equal and opposite nature causes it to cancel itself out.

Forwards time travel should be trivial as we're already traveling forwards in time. We simply need to adjust the rate at which time is perceived, and this can be done in suspended animation.

[edit on 30-11-2005 by electric]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
none is debating time dilation, it was predicted with relitivity and then proven but it only give an insight into the ways time is experienced. one thing is abundently clear, that time is a straight line constantly moveing furward and you can not change that, only change the way you precieve it. i will say it again, you cant have time travel and free will at the same time, think about it.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

. .... .. . you cant have time travel and free will at the same time, think about it.

You have an extremely valid point. What a paradox.

Can one have time travel and free will?

Depends entirely upon what traverses time, and the effects of any interactions with the timeline.

I think Free Will could be achieved if no interaction was to take place. If altering the past, you could negate your existance in your own time, or simply alter it without knowing you ever had.

However:

If it were merely messages sent into the past, then those messages alone would/could alter the future, instantaniously altering reality, but not necessarily denying yourself free will.

Both could exist. But free will would only continue if the intentions were pure enough, and justification for such historical tampering would have to be made under obvious distress.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
kind of lost me at the end a little but your missing the point slightly, if your saying time travel is posible with a time machine or whatever then traveling into the past or the future would mean that the past and future are known in the preasent , predictable. the past doesnt concern me but the fact that you could see or travel to the future means that it is predecided, therefore if the future is predecided then you have no free will, every decicion you have made has alredy been written and you life is just a program to watch, i dont like that idea .

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I have a request: Someone please post a link to a site giving varying definitions, descriptions, and examples of time travel. I just reread this thread, and several other; what a mess.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   

kind of lost me at the end a little but your missing the point slightly, if your saying time travel is posible with a time machine or whatever then traveling into the past or the future would mean that the past and future are known in the preasent , predictable. the past doesnt concern me but the fact that you could see or travel to the future means that it is predecided, therefore if the future is predecided then you have no free will, every decicion you have made has alredy been written and you life is just a program to watch, i dont like that idea .

Then true free will can only be, if either you can manipulate and traverse time, or . .. . . . . . .

Free will is an illusion, but free will is true only when one is ignorant that time travel is being implemented and practiced.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
If you're read anything on Project Montauk or the Philadelphia Project, you know what I'm talking about. They've been toying with the ideas & realities of Time Travel, for a very very long time.

On top of this, they've not only been toying with physical Time Travel, but Spiritual Time Travel. You ask, what the Hell is He going on about here...? I'm talking about Astral Projection, the art of the spirit leaving the body & moving throughout the World & throughout time, both forwards & backwards.

I've ordered a few books on the subject, & I'll see what I can do Myself. I do know, if you're killed while Astral Projecting, you either end up permanently brain-damaged, or worse yet....DEAD. So, I will be careful no matter what.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
i have absolutely no doubt that people have been franticallytrying to poke about with time , the amount of fat cats that would love to see what the stock market will be doing tomorrow. but for the reason i already said above which is a big one, plus the endless amount of paradoxes that would arise should it be possible its pretty logical to me no obvious that it is and never will be posible. if it were where are all the people from the future, oh yeah they dont reveal themselves for fear of disrupting the timeline, thats called a self reinforcing delusion. there are thousands of reasons for it not to work and no reasons that it should.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   

You're correct that "forward" time travel is theoretically possible by way of Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity. There's also a theory on how you can travel "backwards" in time that is based, i think, in M-Theory

The Physics of Time Travel Is it real, or is it fable? By Michio Kaku

Recently, attempts to add the quantum theory to gravity (and hence create a “theory of everything”) have given us some insight into the paradox problem. In the quantum theory, we can have multiple states of any object. For example, an electron can exist simultaneously in different orbits (a fact which is responsible for giving us the laws of chemistry). Similarly, Schrodinger's famous cat can exist simultaneously in two possible states: dead and alive. So by going back in time and altering the past, we merely create a parallel universe. So we are changing someone ELSE's past by saving, say, Abraham Lincoln from being assassinated at the Ford Theater, but our Lincoln is still dead. In this way, the river of time forks into two separate rivers. But does this mean that we will be able to jump into H.G. Wells' machine, spin a dial, and soar several hundred thousand years into England's future? No. There are a number of difficult hurdles to overcome.

This idea on how to travel through time in any "direction" essentially renders the "Grandfather Paradox" moot, ie., you're not really going back into your past but instead into a parallel universe very similar to your own. In theory there's an infinite amount of universes where every possible possibility gets played out. There's a universe where i was never born and one where i'm the president and every other infinite possibility inbetween....i can go to any of those and kill my grandfather or kill Hitler before he takes power or buy a ton of Microsoft stock at $21 a share when it went public in '86 and not have any effect on my "home" timeline...where gramps lived a long full life, Hitler did what he did and i'm still broke.
if that makes any sense to ya

Not saying that i buy into it, but there are theories/ideas on how to sidestep certain paradoxes and laws.

[edit on 7-12-2005 by Rren]

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Wouldn't we use the quantum molecules to compress energy and then jump from one spot in time(in the universe) like UFOs do in NASA videos?
You know like a large coil pogo-stick you compress the corks and negative ions and have them collect and release in like a "giant" enginered blender-shaped deviced, and then have them hit each other, and then you jump from spot to spot or on a "bookmarked" spot in the universe like "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Glaxy"(good parody movie BTW.)
, and then you could hypothethichal time travel.
Here's some websites to show my point:
www.jracademy.com...

www.quantum-physics.polytechnique.fr...

hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...

and my search page:www.google.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

if it were where are all the people from the future, oh yeah they dont reveal themselves for fear of disrupting the timeline, thats called a self reinforcing delusion. there are thousands of reasons for it not to work and no reasons that it should.

There are thousands of reasons for it not to work and no reasons that it should?

Here is a reason it should work:
I am currently consciously moving forward in time. Since I am travelling forward in time then travelling forward in time is obviously more than just a theory, as I am currently doing it. Now, since every observation I make concerning everything tells me all things are equal, and opposites exists for everything I see (unless I'm too scared to see it) then there must be a way to traverse back in time.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
What exactly disables time from occuring in a time traveler's bubble or inhibits it? If I take a rock and throw it, how do I make that rock time travel? How does the rock become free from it's normal rate?

For all those who say, "time travelis happening right now as I am sitting here typing and the clock is moving, blah blah blah", please keep it civil. I am assuming time travel means something to the affect that time varies at various speeds, but I am having trouble understanding this.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   

What exactly disables time from occuring in a time traveler's bubble or inhibits it? If I take a rock and throw it, how do I make that rock time travel? How does the rock become free from it's normal rate?

For all those who say, "time travelis happening right now as I am sitting here typing and the clock is moving, blah blah blah", please keep it civil. I am assuming time travel means something to the affect that time varies at various speeds, but I am having trouble understanding this.

You address some very good points.

Physical time travel is dependent upon speed, the faster you go the slower time elapses as relative to what is being passed by.

Time travel of the mind may work in an opposing way to the world. Do not speed up your thoughts, but silence the conscious mind, slow the mind and speed up time, or slow time, relative to the ones who are subject to minds that are racing against eachother, going so fast they are oblivious to what is truly transpiring.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
i cant see any merrit in any idea about how time travel could be posible, every idea i ever read just seems to be filled with many ifs and consepts that dont draw from nature or logic.
just because i am moving forward in time now , kind of, is not proof that time can be altered in anyway than the ways we know and have proven. htere are no examples in nature to conclude that it is possible and why would it need to exist what would be the point appart from our curiosity. you have to remember that the consept of time has been created by us.
it just seems silly, with time travel you have no free, so if time travel exists we are nothing but robots forfilling fate with no freedom, will its a paradox, and there are thousands of other paradoxs that have been talked about for years, there are no known examples of anything close to time travel ( reputable , not oh i saw this movie once about the men in black or sumut, i mean published) that we know and if there would what would be the point, what purpose would it pose in nature everything else in the universe has a job or does sumut, i have never seen a man from the future if it were posible at some point in mankinds future then where are they, how many millions of tourist would there be over the entire span of human history after the invention of time travel. its ackhams razor , all things being equal the most symplest solution tends to be the right one, so does time travel exist ignoring all the things above and probably loads more i cant think of , or it just doesnt and it is imosible. the only way it could as people say is with multiple dimentions and an infinate amount of universes, i can see the logic in this argument but look at what your saying , it just sound silly when you step back and look at it, its just the only answer to what seems like a hypathetical logic puzzle. i seriously doubt that time travel exists . i would bet my life on it.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Being both in complete possesion of my rational faculties and physically healthy, I am hereby request temporal asylum for reasons of needing to remove myself of where and when I do not belong.

Suicide being the final option, I expect rescue from my current situation to be well granted as soon as possible.

To all and any time travellers or any one with a working (or even defunct) temporal displacement translator or causality violator, please accept my plead and rescue me.

Under the guidelines of providing aid and due consideration for requests of temporal asylum, I hereby formally declare acknowledgment that there are those who are capable of violating causality and formally request their assistance. (My formal request absovles any causality violator from any assumption of their interferring with the assumed natural flow of time or history.)

Assuming that you are fully capable of temporal displacement or violating causality, I expect to reply before I am ready to submit my location for collection/departure.

Please, reply sooner than later.

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Do you remember the last person you saw comeback from the future? I don't.
This is maybe one reason why i do not think we can travel back in time. Using time dilation, maybe you can effectively travel to the future. I would'nt really call it travelling through time as much as just not being exposed to time itself. The only thing you could do is to travel dimensions, considering the theory of infinate possibilities and universes thing, but wouldn't you just end up somewhere elese with a different outcome but in the same time period? Here's a thought i just had:

If, when we are moving, we are being less exposed to time due to time dilation (from the 0 point where ever that could be?), what happens if we completely stop in realtion to this 0 point? Does time just move at a rate of infinity? Considering that we are on the move right now and all the time, we are not exposed to this? At this zero point of no movement would time then not exist? Its all confusing and puzzling.

However supposing time travel to the past does exist, i love the way that something then can exist forever. If a human travelled back in time, he would ensure the human race never ceased to exist, as he travels back everytime the past reaches this point in the future. We need a new language to talk about time and things as such because i think we have trouble saying what is relative to what. eg: in the past we have travelled into the future, to what is now the present. LOL

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join