It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

army plans to dump vx nerve gas in delaware river

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   
army plans to dump all vx nerve gas in the delaware river at least 2 truck loads a day from storage was jus on cnn ... thas a real bad idea it will contaminate water kill fish an wild life!! a drop the size of a bb for a bb gun could kill a person an they need to dump a million pounds atleast

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   
found a link
www.shortnews.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
The question running through my mind is simply... WHY?

Surely there are about 1,000 better places to dump this than into a WATER SYSTEM?

Umm.... what is going on?

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Yeah it's already determined that they don't know squat when it comes to dumping it seawater... let alone fresh water...

The US later destroyed stockpiles of the deadly nerve agent (by incineration at Johnston Island in the South Pacific), as mandated by the US accession to the Chemical Weapons Convention. Post-treaty disposal included the US Army's CHASE (Cut Holes And Sink 'Em) program, in which old ships were filled with chemical weapons stockpiles and then scuttled. CHASE 8 was conducted on June 15, 1967, in which the S.S. Cpl. Eric G. Gibson was filled with 7,380 VX rockets and scuttled in 7,200 feet of water, off the coast of Atlantic City, New Jersey. The long-term environmental ramifications of exposing large quantities of VX to seawater and marine life could pose a grave danger, but are ultimately unknown.

Emphasis added

Wikipedia VX link

[edit on 26-11-2005 by Shaker]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I would not put too much faith in shortnews.com If this were true you would have every environmentle group in the U.S. up in arms. I know that the govt. has been incenerating this crap for years and now, to just go dump it in a major river? Please. Give me a break. The enviro. nuts would be up in arms if this were true. I know that the Fed. has a toxic waste facility out in the midwest and they burn/and or bury this stuff. I'll hunt for the link.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Here are recent news articles relevant to chemical weapons disposal...enjoy...

www.cwwg.org...

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Great. I live right by the Delaware River in South Jersey. Not that the river is "clean" or anything. I jumped in it before with friends and would never make that mistake again, nor would I ever eat anykind of fish that was caught in there. To me the river is just a container ship highway that's already overpolluted. I guess the government realized this and decided that rather than ruining a clean river they should dump it in the Smellaware
(my nickname for it) River instead.

Of course that doesn't justify it or even mean that I want it here. Can't we just dump this stuff on some third world nation and blame it on the Russians or someone?

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
all i know is that if the us army trys that # in canada the great lakes or near hem theres gonna be more than hockey sticks an axes commin at them lake eries pretty bad sewage in the water

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
I live right by the Delaware River in South Jersey.

I live across the river from you ... in Wilmington.

This article is dated April 7th, 2005. It is now almost December 2005.
Did it really happen?

#&$^$%#$@!!!! We've gotta' move!! I'm sooooooo sick of us being
sick. My daughter never had asthma until we moved here 5 years ago.
God only knows what else we have ingested. We use bottled water
but still ... we shower in the stuff ... UGH!

[edit on 11/26/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Hold up, I live very close the river in the Philly area, I don't remember any news here locally about any dump of Nerve agent into the river. And trust me it would have been all over the local news if it was true.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
i saw in on cnn las night at 3 am there are results if u look on google heres the results i found on a google search look for yourself
www.google.ca...

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Here is some info about it, and where it is being dumped at.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 11/26/05 by makeitso]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
That is very bad, I suppose any hope I had that the military/government had any iota of intelligence, is now gone.

Also, I just saw a show that talked about VX and it said that the amount of VX on the head of a pin could kill a person, so I'm pretty sure a BB size quantity could kill a person a few times over.

Just thought I'd add that.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Why don't they just spend a little more money and react the VX with some chemical/s to break it down into harmless compounds? Bottled water is mostly just tap water, just so you know. I'm more concerned with all the female hormone crap in all our water due to birth control pills, the body can't absorb everything.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hello, I am Jeff Lindblad, a public affairs officer with U.S. Army Chemical Materials Agency, which has the job of safely eliminating the U.S. chemical weapons stockpile to include the nerve agent stockpile stored at the Newport Chemical Depot, IN (topic of his forum). I have read the above posts with interest, especially NinjaCodeMonkey’s. I would first like to make clear that the Army is not, or planning to, transport or discharge VX nerve agent into the Delaware River. The nerve agent stockpile at Newport is currently being destroyed in an on-site facility using a chemical reaction process where caustic (sodium hydroxide) and hot water are mixed with the nerve agent. The resulting byproduct from this destruction process is a caustic wastewater. The neutralization process combines the nerve agent with heated sodium hydroxide and water (190 Degrees Fahrenheit) in batches for a set period of time. Each batch is analyzed and if agent is detected, the batch is reprocessed. Currently, the wastewater is being stored at the Indiana facility. The Army is proposing to transport the wastewater, using an approved and permitted carrier, to the DuPont Secure Environmental Treatment Facility in New Jersey. At DuPont, the wastewater will undergo a pretreatment process which will remove and solidify the small amount of phosphorous compounds it contains. These solids will be placed into Dupont’s on-site EPA approved landfill. Following that, the wastewater will undergo further treatment using the facility’s New Jersey approved and permitted two step carbon/biotreatment process. The resulting discharge to Delaware River will be at a much better level than those levels required by the state of New Jersey. Additional testing of the discharge has shown that it will not cause any adverse on the aquatic life of the Delaware River. This proposal is currently being reviewed, at congressional direction, by the Centers for Disease Control. CDC released an initial report in April 05. The major findings of that report are:

- the potential hazard of the caustic hydrolysate is predominantly associated with its corrosive and caustic properties and not nerve agent effects;
- the corrosive and caustic hazards of the hydrolysate do not preclude handling or transportation and the precautions in the transportation plan meet the Department of Transportation regulations to safely protect the public, personnel, and environment;
- the DuPont Secure Environmental Treatment process should be capable of treating the major components in the caustic hydrolysate wastewater; and,
- more information is needed to determine the ecological risks of discharge of the treated waste.
Public meetings were held in NJ and DE about this proposal. At those meetings, elected officials, regulators, the public and the CDC expressed concerns about the phosphorous compounds in the effluent to the river. DuPont responded to those concerns by placing the pretreatment process mentioned above. The DuPont report on this process is currently being reviewed by the CDC. I expect this review will be completely and released to the public early in 2006. If you wish to review more information on this project, you can access our web site at www.cma.army.mil or call 1-800-488-0648. Thanks for taking the time to read this rather long post.

Jeff Lindblad
Public Affairs Officer
US Army Chemical Materials Agency

new topics

top topics

join