It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Teachers fear effect of mercury leakage

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Schools may well be hidden toxic waste dumps all around the world. Mercury poisoning could explain alot of things going on. You can get it from fish, or your kids may get exposed at school.

Just check out the storage areas for the chemical labs in schools and you will find a myriad of ancient equipment containing mercury, which isn't properly stored.

Just wonder how big this problem really is and if it is having a larger effect on everyone than anyone thinks.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

VANCOUVER -- Hugh MacPherson won't eat tuna and he doesn't fish so it baffled him why the mercury content in his system was five times higher than average.

For six years, Mr. MacPherson taught science at Mount Baker Secondary School in Cranbrook and when he began feeling run down and unable to focus two years ago, he thought the problem was his diet or just the effects of growing old.

More interesting links:

www.p2pays.org...
www.mercuryinschools.uwex.edu...
www.newmoa.org...
www.epa.gov...




posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Scary stuff.
Is it really necessary to keep Mercury in schools? The old equipment should be disposed of properly. Mercury is so dangerous we don't even us it in thermometers anymore.



posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The mercury in schools is NOT the major concern.

It's the mercury in the streams, rivers, soil, and animals that's the problem.

There may be a risk in the school environment, but the industrial spread of mercury is not only much greater in terms of quantity, but it's also much harder to deal with. Regulations went from being nonexistent, to ignored, to nonexistent again, and the polluters haven't even broken their stride.

Mercury poisoning is a serious problem in America, and elsewhere. Until people take it upon themselves to fix the situation, it will continue to become more out of control.

If you have to worry about something, wouldn't it behoove you to worry about the 10k tons (or whatever) released into the air and soil and water by one of the chemical concerns, rather than the tiny drop in the cracked thermometer down at the local campus?

I'm not saying mercury in the schools isn't an issue, I'm just trying to make the point that it isn't really THE issue, when it comes to mercury control.



posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Where mercury is, is not the issue. Just the fact that it is in schools too, should be a first real issue. Kids these days spend far more time in schools than they do the great outdoors. Cleaning up the schools is a major first step. Heard of one case where over 250 ml about half a cup was spilt and the stuff is so hard to clean up. Start in schools, educate students, they go home and help clean up the homes, and hopefully that leads to enviroment cleanup in the great outdoors.

Heavy metal contamination should be a major concern to everyone!



new topics

top topics
 
0

log in

join