It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New creature discovered on Brazil coast...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Last month on CNN, I read on the ticker that a 40' carcass was washed ashore, local biologists at first thought it belonged to a whale, but after study found it belonged to an "unknown" source. Anyone catch that, or have information?
Also, about 20-25 years ago, Japanese fisherman netted what appeared to be the remains of a pleasour; this one may already be covered, haven't read all the forums yet. Anything?

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 01:51 PM
link   
It was a gigantic squid... Several seem to have been found this year. It is a fairly newly discovered species...

BTW...the "plesiosaur" you are referring to, was a Basking Shark carcass....
That pic was one of the first I saw that got me into cryptozoology....

[Edited on 22-9-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 03:35 PM
link   
A forty Foot Squid? Jesus that thing could eat small cruise liners. Bring the harpoon round ladds we have a huge tentacled beast to the port.

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Thanks for the info! That's the one thing I hate about CNN... too much **** about Bush, and not enough about what they place in the ticker! Just giving a reader one or two sentences, and then dropping it... I mean, what k

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Im pretty sure it was a giant squid. They have been turning up alot. It's hard to think of a squid that big.

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 07:49 PM
link   
There was a programme on last nite at 8pm ch5 uk about a killer squid attack

Dr Bill Gilly and camraman Bob Cranson go in search of the elusive jumbo squid,a 6ft giant which has the taste for human flesh anyone get to see it as i missed it

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
Last month on CNN, I read on the ticker that a 40' carcass was washed ashore, local biologists at first thought it belonged to a whale, but after study found it belonged to an "unknown" source. Anyone catch that, or have information?
Also, about 20-25 years ago, Japanese fisherman netted what appeared to be the remains of a pleasour; this one may already be covered, haven't read all the forums yet. Anything?

I thought it turned out to be a whale carcass.

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Anybody up for some giant squid poaching?

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 09:12 PM
link   
There have been alot of giant squid being killed recently, one the size of a bus. The general consesus is that they are being killed by the Spanish navy's sonar experiments....

Shockwaves from scientific tests carried out by the Spanish navy have killed four giant squid -- one the length of a bus -- off Spain's coast in recent days, the head of a marine protection agency says.
"The navy ship the Hesperides is working in the area...and the shock waves (are the cause of death)," Luis Laria, president of marine protection agency CEPESMA, said Thursday.

The giant squid, mythologized as the monster that attacked Captain Nemo's Nautilus in the Jules Verne adventure "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," is the world's largest invertebrate and lives at depths of up to 6,500 feet.

reuters.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Keep in mind, there are different types of big squid...

This one was a Collosal Squid. (sorry I don't have the scientific name off the top of my head) There are Giant Squid as well, but they aren't near as large...

As William mentioned, there are some reasons to believe that these turning up lately, are because of some sonar testing in the areas involved...

top topics

join