It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sources Report American Military Action in Syria

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Debka is reporting that American forces have crossed into Syria in pursuit of escaped insurgents. The report also says that Syrian troops have engaged US marines. Another source mentions combat between Marines and insurgents in the no-man's land between Syria and Iraq.

www.debka.com
DEBKAfile Exclusive: US Marines are locked in battle with Syrian troops after crossing the border from Iraq into Syria at a point west of al Qaim

November 25, 2005, 12:27 AM (GMT+02:00)

Both sides have suffered casualties. US soldiers crossed over after Damascus was given an ultimatum Thursday, Nov. 24, to hand over a group of senior commanders belonging to Abu Musab al Zarqawi’s al Qaeda force. According to US intelligence, the group had fled to Syria to escape an American attack in Mosul. Syrian border guards opened fire on the American force.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Debka is often unreliable, but this report bears some scrutiny. It is consistent with a so-called insurgent report (see url below) about combat in the no-man's land between Iraq and Syria.
Debka adds an American ultimatum to the story, and that may be where they are unreliable. It would not be surprising that US and Syrian troops exchange fire in the current context, especially if Marines get overzealous in pursuing insurgents. But I feel that any ultimatum would have been publicized by the White House. The current administration has used public ultimata against both Afghanistan and Iraq.

Related News Links:
www.uruknet.info

[edit on 25-11-2005 by Nerdling]

[edit on 12/10/05 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
That is an interesting find.

Some days ago I've read about more than 1,000 Iraqi troops fought alongside thousands of U.S. Marine along the Iraq-Syria border.

US/Iraqi troops conclude major operation near Syrian border

[edit on 25-11-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Debka is reporting that American forces have crossed into Syria in pursuit of escaped insurgents.

Good. No nation should be a safehold for these insurgents, especially when they are already being chased by the US.

The report also says that Syrian troops have engaged US marines.

This is almost immpossibly unlikely. Its unfortunate that they have not source at all, odd that they don't even mention it as a confidential source or from what side or anything.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I read this at Debka too, and while I don't know if it is true, IF it is, this is not good. We've been talking about Syria for a long time now, and I guess it was/is only a matter of time before this happened. I just hope it isn't.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Debka is worse than unreliable: they have a well-established track record of simply making stuff up. I suspect that's the case here. I've heard it claimed that they are a Mossad mouthpiece, I have my doubts, as Mossad is certainly capable of creating more convincing disinfo.

[edit on 11/25/05 by xmotex]

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I like debka. They have some really indepth articles that are not covered in other news sites. I suspect they have their informers in a variety of military.

They are the good guys in my book.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Many hours have passed, now. Would it be possible that a media blackout is still in effect - on all sides?

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Good question TC, some others from a conspiracy angle... If this was made up, why and by whom? A black out, or cover up?

No matter what, it will be interesting to see how this story evolves or dies.. I am hoping it dies.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
hmm...

Could be a media blackout, but we'll have to wait and see..

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   

But I feel that any ultimatum would have been publicized by the White House. The current administration has used public ultimata against both Afghanistan and Iraq.

Good article- thanks for posting. But I have to disagree with the above statement. Ultimatums are made privately through diplomatic channels on a regular basis. I think we would have a better chance of getting what we want by making these ultimatums behind closed doors, rather then from the mouth of the White House Press Secretary. Syria has a large anti-American population and their government cannot allow itself to be seen by its citizens as giving in to the demands of the US. Now, if Syria was to hand over these suspects without a public ultimatum demanding them to, then they would save a lot more face with their own people.

We've done far better with demands behind closed doors with Muslim nations than we have with public ultimatums. For example, by going secretly through diplomatic channels we were able to get the support of Pakistan (which was definitely needed) for our operations in Afghanistan. But our public demands have not been met with as much success, such as demanding Saddam step down, telling Iran to halt its nuclear program, telling the Taliban to turn over bin Laden, etc. So I think the idea that there wasn't an ultimatum because it would have been made public is an incorrect statement.

All this being said, I'm not saying that I believe this article or disbelieve it. I'm sure there are some facts mixed in there, but there just as easily could be some bad information or government-fed propaganda.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Odd that a media black-out would benefit both sides of the border, and I don't believe it would. I feel that Syria would do everything possible to get the word out, and after this many hours, I am confident that they would have been successful. After all, "They" don't own all the media outlets. Do "they"?

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13

Ultimatums are made privately through diplomatic channels on a regular basis.

Chief U.N. investigator Detlev Mehlis had set today, Nov. 25, as the final deadline for Syria to cooperate or "to face further actions".

Syria first had rejected Mehlis' request to to question its officials over Rafik Hariri's assassination - but suddenly, today.....they agreed.

[edit on 25-11-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I highly doubt that we have done anything. By now Al Jezzera would have been posting their headlines of how the US infedels were being destroyed by syria

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Wow, strange. We invade ANOTHER country and yet they are the bad guys? So Mexico invades America and then America is the bad guy... Or Germany invades France and France is the bad guy, doesn't make sense.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This isn't the first time:

JULY 22, 2005 - Multi-National Force Press Conference

Q General, Charlie Aldinger with Reuters. The Syrians -- we have a story out of Damascus yesterday that Syrians are claiming, in a letter sent to different embassies, that U.S. and Iraqi troops have fired at Syrian border guards across the border. They're not clear on how, when, where, or how, they just say -- they seem to suggest that these border guards, the Syrians, were behind dirt berms or something. Have you anything on that? Any cross-border fire involving Syrian forces and U.S. and Iraqi forces?

29/10/2005 - The Telegraph

Syria has accused the United States of launching lethal military raids into its territory from Iraq, escalating the diplomatic crisis between the two countries as the Bush administration seeks to step up pressure on President Bashar Assad's regime

Mon Nov 7 - Yahoo News Article:

The border remains a volatile area. The Syrians remain generally uncooperative, and there have been clashes between U.S. forces and Syrian border guards who have on occasion entered Iraq, Vines said.

[edit on 26-11-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrVolin
Debka is reporting that American forces have crossed
into Syria in pursuit of escaped insurgents.

Excellent! I think we should televise them and show
the world that the insurgents are coming from Syria
and Saudi Arabia, etc. It's a FACT .. now let's show
everyone. HA!! This is great news. It's made my day!
Thanks!

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Wow, strange. We invade ANOTHER country and yet they are the bad guys? So Mexico invades America and then America is the bad guy... Or Germany invades France and France is the bad guy, doesn't make sense.

Umm... are you thinking straight? Syria should not be a safe haven for terrorists fighting US forces in Iraq. If they want to be Neutral, then all they would have to do it hand over the insurgents or toss them back into Iraq. When they don't, they then become subject to military action.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevinS
We invade ANOTHER country and yet they are the bad guys?

Um .. no. THEY (insurgents from Syria) invaded Iraq and engaged in
terrorist activities. The chase went back across the border where the
invading terrorists from Syria thought they could be safe ... but
surprise ... they weren't. Bet that really put a damper on their
plans!
Surprise!

[edit on 11/26/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevinS

Ummm no...Syria is the bad guy because:

Terrorists are entering Iraq through Syria to kill American soldiers

thousands of Syrian troops are still occupying Lebanon

Syrian arsenal of WMDs is expanding

Hamas, Islamic Jihad, and other terrorist groups continue to operate in Damascus

- One Man Short ®

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   

1. - Terrorists are entering Iraq through Syria to kill American soldiers

2. - thousands of Syrian troops are still occupying Lebanon

3. - Syrian arsenal of WMDs is expanding

4. - Hamas, Islamic Jihad, and other terrorist groups continue to operate in Damascus

1. - Your countries Administration lied about ALL the reasons to INVADE and OCCUPY a souvereign nation at that shamefull circus at the UN, read out by Powell.
In my books that's an act of WAR.
Now these citizens of that occupied nation are defending their birthgrounds against an evil occupying army, which is only there to serve the plans of the US oil robber barons, nothing else. They did not free that nation, they occupied it and will keep it occupied for a long time, if we, the rest of the world don't stop them in their shoes.
One of your own Senators, over 80 years old, just recently demanded that US troops should be brought home immediately.
Guess what: this man was his whole life a rabient right wing Republican and serving the interests of the Military complex.
Do you guys ever pay attention?
These so-called terrorists are freedom fighters, who want you out, and their country back in the right hands, the people.
And doesn't it strike you, that the US armed forces are tied up to their necks in 2 lost wars in a faraway country, so these Neo-Nazi's in your own country will have their hands free when at last they will unleash their next 9/11 on you. They want their biggest fear, an Army of patriots, out of the way to take over the USA, and they are near completion of their plans.
They will invade a next nation, for sure, and fabricate a next list of lies to let your patriotic -but numbed down by media lies- brains bubble over again from patriotic feelings.
These guys have made a science from good old Goebbels Nazi propaganda, and you just won't realize it.

2. - Their troops left Lebanon, and after that, a small group of idiots from Syria have arranged that Harriri was killed, blown up with a car bomb, which had suspicious signs of involvement from the Iraeli Mossad.
Because that man was the best bet for presidential elections for that thorn-apart little country. And wasn't a friend of Syria and neither Israel.

3. - That's about the most idiot lie I heard lately. Have any proof to structure your lies?

4. - No wonder, when your Palestinian homeland is devided, ripped from their water sources, which lay all on Israeli settlements territory, and your families live in constant fear to get killed by triggerhappy soldiers. And anybody can be rounded up in the night and disappear.
I do understand also the motives of a few million of Israeli's, who on their side lived in constant fear to be overrunned at night by a horde of bloodthirsty Arabs, who wanted their country back.
It's a no-win/win situation, and it has to end.

I have nothing against Jews, Israel, Arabs or Americans, but isn't it time you voting guys in the USA at last use your brain, and get rid of this Administration, riddled with politicians with bloodlines to WW II Nazi's, or proven sympathy for Nazi ideals, and proven investments in WW II on the NAZI side of that war?

The polls show Bush and his"family" of neo-nazi's are reaching the bottom lines, isn't that enough signs of the times for you socalled "patriots"?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join