It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 5 US Attackers of all time

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
These Aircraft listed here would be the the best attack planes the US has ever used.

A-5 Vigilante: Good airframe,rubbish bomb bay mechanisim, could have been installed with rotating bomb bay and a Vulcan/Avenger Gun system.
If this happened, The Vigilante would have well lasted up to now.
Perhaps this was the US Navys F-111!.

A-6 Intruder: Served the USN in the vietnam war

A-4 Skyhawk: Agile and versatile, This one still serves in Brazil and south american countries for the last 50 years. Singapore have even made a super skyhawk.

A-7 Corsair:From vietnam, the panama, and to GW1. The Corsair still serves with the Hellenic Air Force and Thailand.

A-10 Warthog:The ultimate Tank killer, Shame the US dont export it.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Hmmm, I'd probably go with much the same sort of list except I definmitely wouldn't include the A-5, that was a failure. I think a better choice IMHO would be the F-105, first supersonic attack aircraft with an internal bomb bay and stirling service in Vietnam.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Greetings!

The planes listed are all great, but I would add and drop a couple of your choices.

1) AV-8B: The Harrier is the ultimate "close" support machine when it comes to being close to the front line, especially in it's later forms. It is a little weak when it comes to payload and endurance, but turn around time and STOVL capability more than compensates for this. I would drop the A-5 Vigilante for this.

2) A-1: The Skyraider is one of the best close support planes ever built only the jet age and structural fatigue took these planes out of service. Good payload, durability, and survivablity. Speed is a definite weakness. I would lose the A-7 for this plane.

Hopefully this is some food for thought.

MICROMACHINE

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I LOVE the A-5, one of my favorite aircraft of all time, beautiful aircraft, but I wouldn't include it either.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Hmmm, I'd probably go with much the same sort of list except I definmitely wouldn't include the A-5, that was a failure. I think a better choice IMHO would be the F-105, first supersonic attack aircraft with an internal bomb bay and stirling service in Vietnam.

I have to agree no list would be complete without the F-105 Thud in it.

Also, the AD/A-1 Skyraider which was developed to late to serve in WWII was pressed into use as an ground attack plane for both the Korean war and the Vietnam war.

So for my list in order:

1) A-10. 30MM cannon armored to the hilt, decent bomb load, low level manuverability, able to absorb alot of damage, and my favorite has a manual reversion mode where the pilot can still fly the plane albiet with alot of effort, if the hydraulic systems fail)

2) F-105 Thunderchief aka Thud. Decent combat record, supersonic, could carry nukes, was the backbone of the Wild Weasel force in Vietnam

3) A-4 Skyhawk: Versitile, and cheap. also known as the "Scooter" it was able to carry an impressive load and had decent range for such a small craft.

4) F-111 Aardvark: yes a contrevesial choice. However, despite its thrust shortcomings, it was a all weather tactical bomber and was quite versatile with its swing wings etc. The FB-111A's were also developed as a strategic nuclear platform

5) AD/A-1 Skyraider: Propeller driven this massive plane had long range and loiter time and could carrya decent payload as well.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Hey guys how about the AC-130 Specter gunship. This is one of the best close support craft in the world.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
If its of all time best US attack A/C

Then the P-47 Thunderbolt wins hands down by its kill record.

The A-10 Thunderbolt II carries on the tradition.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
The F-105 Thud is a true vietnam war classic. One of my favourites out of the Century Jet Series. Half were lost over 'Nam'. The Thud is just an overgrown single seat single engine fighter like the Delta Dagger/Dart aircraft.

www.geocities.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
My all-time list (worldwide):

IL-2
A-10
Ju-87
A-4
Buccaneer

For the US:
A-10
A-4
AH-64
AC-130
A-26

[edit on 11/26/2005 by CyberianHusky]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyberianHusky
IL-2
A-10
Ju-87
A-4
Buccaneer

Only 2 of those are US aircraft
But your choice's are sound

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
The AV-8 Harrier is of British origin so i would not really put it down on the list. It suits the role in the USMC though.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Lets see top 5 attackers:

1. A-10 Warthog- This bad boy can shread any tank!

2. F-111 Aardvark- With smart bombs, this was the best tactical bomber of it's day. It had great range and payload, and could find almost any target reguadless of weather.

3. A-6 Intruder- best Pure Attack jet to fly from a carrier.

4. F/A-18 Hornet- carries a nasty sting for anyone foolish enough to provoke it. (Oh, and it can kick asses and take names in a dog fight while it's full of bombs)

5. AV-8 Harrier- Only Attacker in the US that doesn't need a runway.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Browno
The AV-8 Harrier is of British origin so i would not really put it down on the list. It suits the role in the USMC though.

Its heritage may be British, but the AV-8B is essentially a US redesign. The RAF versions are licensed. How's that for irony?

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Actually, the AV-8B is closely based on the AV-16S (S = supersonic, 16 being 'double 8' get it?
) of 1972 which was designed by Hawker Siddeley with the clear intention of collaborating with MCAir to produce a next generation Harrier, it was then handed over to MCAir in its entirety when the UK Govt pulled us out of that project. MCAir then incorporated the AV-16S' advanced features into the AV-8B to create a cut price replacement and obviously developed it further too by themselves, however the heritage of the aircraft (both Harrier and AV-16S) allowed BAe to get back into the programme on very favourable terms (taking a 50% workshare of UK AV-8B'S and 40%of all other AV-8B's) despite MCAir having carried the programme by themselves for about 4 years (contrast this with the UK's small share in the JSF in which there is no such 'intellectual copyright' for BAE to fall back on). Furthermore, when the UK rejoined the programme there were further enhancements that were UK led (the LERX is one) which were adopted wholesale, so you see it is much more of a truly collaborative venture than you think, even if it was in a rather cock-eyed see saw fashion

"to you, to me, to you, to me"

My sources on this are the Flight International news pages of the day (some of which I still have) as I followed this particular venture with great interest amid various editorials bemoaning us 'signing off our birthright to the Americans' etc.

One of Kingstons AV-16S proposals

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Anyone seen 'True Lies'?, There is a scene with USMC Harriers. It really does my head in the bit when Arnold Schwarzenegger comes along and just steals one from the Marine pilots who are specially trained to fly them.

Those Marines are specialized as pilots and i hate seeing some stupid 'Hero' come along and take one for a joyride.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
My ranking would be this:

1. F4U-Corsair Any WWII or Korean War Marine vet will back me on this.

2. AD-1 Skyraider (Sandy) Ask those Korean War Marines and alot of Vietnam Vets.

3. A-6 Intruder Being the first all weather attack platform has to mean something.

4. A-10 Warthog Ask what used to be the Iraqi Army.

5. F-117 Nighthawk For turning out the lights over Bagdad.......twice.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

3. A-6 Intruder Being the first all weather attack platform has to mean something.

You do mean the first US one, of course, don't you

Nice choices BTW.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   

You do mean the first US one, of course, don't you

Nice choices BTW.

Ok I'll bite. Which non US platform are you referring to?

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Ha ha, I thought you never would, you held out for quite a time there

Someone else may correct me but I believe that the first all weather attack aircraft was the Blackburn NA.39, otherwise known as the Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer.

from Thunder and Lightnings

While some of Blackburn's initial designs had the aircraft with a bulbous nose (with side-by-side seating for the two crew), high wing and engines by the wing roots, the design soon settled on the familiar area-ruled Buccaneer shape seen here (America's Grumman would later settle on a design very similar to Blackburn's early B.103 design for their A-6 Intruder , an aircraft designed to much the same specification as the Buccaneer)

Some Buccaneer info

[edit on 3-12-2005 by waynos]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Ha ha, I thought you never would, you held out for quite a time there

Someone else may correct me but I believe that the first all weather attack aircraft was the Blackburn NA.39, otherwise known as the Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer.

You might have me there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join