It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Canada Bar 50 Cent From Touring?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
today.reuters.com... pc=22

I don't blame them. Afew items from the linked article:

OTTAWA (Reuters) - The Canadian government should ban U.S. rapper 50 Cent from touring Canada later this year because he has a criminal record and glorifies gun violence, a legislator from the ruling Liberal party said on Wednesday.

Junior Foreign Minister Dan McTeague said the rapper's message was inappropriate at a time when Toronto, Canada's largest city, was experiencing a surge in shooting deaths.

Canadian law dictates that anyone with a criminal record needs a special permit from the office of Immigration Minister Joe Volpe to enter the country. McTeague has written to Volpe urging him not to grant the permit.

McTeague criticized 50 Cent for "the message at this time that he brings, one of glorifying gun violence, often (the) denigration of women" and said the last time he gave a concert in Toronto in 2003, one person was killed outside the theater.

The rapper is due to start a Canadian tour in December.

The rapper told Reuters on Tuesday that parents should buy their children his new video game and use it as a teaching tool. In the game, 50 Cent is depicted making his way through New York's underworld with armed guards and guns blazing.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   
yes please ban the monkey man from coming here. If hip hop stars dissappear, maybe the youth will stop wearing those ridiculous outfits and start behaving like people with brains. I mean gansta hip hop is totally monkey music and wether it glorifies guns or not it should be banned in the name of freaking common sense.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I wouldn't go as far as banning hip-hop alltogether or even calling it monkey music. But the guy knowingly glorifies and promotes violence. It is good to see that some of the folks up in Canada are trying to use a law that is allready on the books to send a statement to the so called artists that promotes violence, and political correctness be damned.

[edit on 11/24/2005 by Classified Info]

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by moonchild
yes please ban the monkey man from coming here. If hip hop stars dissappear, maybe the youth will stop wearing those ridiculous outfits and start behaving like people with brains. I mean gansta hip hop is totally monkey music and wether it glorifies guns or not it should be banned in the name of freaking common sense.

As much as 50Cent actually does resemble a monkey that is some of the most racist shi* I ever seen lol WOW

And Curtis is hardly considered a "rapper" he is more pop, if anybody tries to tell U differently, slap them for me
I have had math tests harder than him

But yeah, he should be banned because his music sucks (he never actually says anything, just yaps for no apparent good reason. I just hear words, it's so boring) and for ignorance like this:

The rapper told Reuters on Tuesday that parents should buy their children his new video game and use it as a teaching tool. In the game, 50 Cent is depicted making his way through New York's underworld with armed guards and guns blazing.

I turned his "movie" off after 2.5 minutes too, glad I aint pay a dime to see them because even just those 2.5 minutes sucked better than Monica Lewinsky

[edit on 24-11-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
well i dont call it racism. I'm not saying hip hop is bad because it has black roots. I call it common sense. Why on earth would we want to tolerate such alienating music and such a loser lifestyle like this is beyond me. I mean, look at what this music represents. Being a loser, with guns, being a though boy who gets all the chicks, being a little criminal who deal drugs in the backstreet, etc etc. Its a complete waste of time. Yes yes i know there is some good hip hop in all of this, but the majority of it is just this : monkey music. A total waste of time.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonchild
well i dont call it racism. I'm not saying hip hop is bad because it has black roots. I call it common sense. Why on earth would we want to tolerate such alienating music and such a loser lifestyle like this is beyond me. I mean, look at what this music represents. Being a loser, with guns, being a though boy who gets all the chicks, being a little criminal who deal drugs in the backstreet, etc etc. Its a complete waste of time. Yes yes i know there is some good hip hop in all of this, but the majority of it is just this : monkey music. A total waste of time.

I do get what U mean, I think it was just the term U used, kinda threw me

I love a lil rap and hip hop but this guy is just ignorant and should have that record deal taken off him. terrible influence on the youth and his videos have made me throw up a lil in my mouth on more than one occassion

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
If anything should bar him from visiting Canada, it should be his criminal record, and not the merits of the entertainment he provides.

Zip

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
If his movie at least told the truth.

At the time he was shot, he was overweight. He was in his car when he was shot.

Not at all how its shown in the movie.

Of course they made it "look cool" in the movie.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
One of the problems that I have with "gangsta rap" is that these so called artist care more abort their own personel wealth and fame than they do about their own fans.

No snowflake ever thinks it is responsible for the avalanche.

How many rappers have made their fame and fortune promoting a lifestyle of hate and violence and knocking females up and then later it comes out that they actually attended private schools their entire lives.
?

Maybe I shouldn't let stuff like that bother me, but I cant help it, it does!

top topics

join